Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 01:33 PM

91 posts, read 387,542 times

Advertisements

My car's thermometer was registering 102 yesterday on my evening commute up here in New Jersey so that was perfect preperation for my move to Tampa in the next few weeks.

We lived in FL before for a few years and I recall how hot it was when I first stepped out of the moving van, yikes! But after the first season, I was ok, you just get used to it. It was hard to get used to the winters again the first year we moved back up north.

I am Irish though so I don't tan real well and I drive a Jeep so sunblock is a staple for me in FL.

Really hoping the house we buy in FL this time has a pool though! Always wanted our own pool... I'll be living in it during the summers. I can't imagine how great it will feel to dive in after mowing the lawn

Summers in FL are like winters in the north... Aside from snowboarding/skiing and shoveling the driveway, what do we really do in the dead of winter up north? We stay inside by the fire with a glass of Brandy... In FL during the summers, we stay in side by the AC with a beer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 02:26 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,376,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackacc View Post
Summers in FL are like winters in the north... Aside from snowboarding/skiing and shoveling the driveway, what do we really do in the dead of winter up north? We stay inside by the fire with a glass of Brandy... In FL during the summers, we stay in side by the AC with a beer.
If you are like me, you do pretty much what you do outdoors all year round in Florida, so that means having a beer on the deck or poolside in the summers in Florida...oh, just like in the winters in Florida

Old 06-11-2008, 02:43 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
I have here exactly a year. I didn't like the Florida WINTER, let alone the Florida summer. Anything over about 75 degrees keeps me inside. Actually, the cold up North didn't keep me inside. I just put on more clothes.

But then I didn't come here for the weather unlike 99.9% of the transplants here.

Old 06-11-2008, 02:49 PM

346 posts, read 1,341,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I have here exactly a year. I didn't like the Florida WINTER, let alone the Florida summer. Anything over about 75 degrees keeps me inside. Actually, the cold up North didn't keep me inside. I just put on more clothes.

But then I didn't come here for the weather unlike 99.9% of the transplants here.
I didn't either. I came for the girls. It's hard to guage women when they're dress in burka like clothes.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:18 PM

72 posts, read 213,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBOUND? View Post
Yesterday it was about 94 degrees. Around the same today. While its bad in the direct sun, it really wasn't so bad in the shade. It wasn't as oppressive as I'd expected. In NYC when it got into the 90's, walking outside was like getting punched in the face by a combination of the heat, humidity, car exhaust, mass of humanity around you, the buildings, etc. At least here its all pretty open and at least sterday and today, there was a breeze.

Really isn't so bad. Maybe after 5 - 6 months of it i'll be singing a different tune. But ya gotta love them bright blue skies that come seem to be almost daily.
You said it. I live in NYC and the summers are miserable. It smells like garbage, and central ac is rare at home. I have a window air conditioner and I hate it. On top of that we have a lot of power outages. I lived in Florida for 12 years and I will take Florida summers over NYC's anyday.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:24 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYorker4now View Post
You said it. I live in NYC and the summers are miserable. It smells like garbage, and central ac is rare at home. I have a window air conditioner and I hate it. On top of that we have a lot of power outages. I lived in Florida for 12 years and I will take Florida summers over NYC's anyday.
NYC summers don't last. Florida "summers" last 12 months. By the way, I grew up in Manhattan when HOME A/C wasn't even invented. I will take a NYC winter any day over what I experienced then.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:52 PM

598 posts, read 2,268,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Well, considering it was 104 in NYC yesterday and Tampa was 83.. It hardly ever gets into the 100s in Tampa.
83??? not where i am in tampa! it's been in the mid 90's for over a week straight and my car therm. has been pretty steady around 96 - 98. one day last week it said 102! and it's not even close to the "HOT"season yet!! Then it'll be 98 everyday LOL

Oh how i wish it was only 83!

Old 06-11-2008, 06:59 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Sorry I should have said the official temp when I checked was 83, when it was 104 in NYC

Old 06-12-2008, 10:56 AM

126 posts, read 538,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angeliclady View Post
I absolutely HATE the heat in Florida. There's no seasons in Florida, just hot. I've lived here all my life (35 years) and you NEVER get used to it. I plan on moving out of Florida within the next few years.
Sure there are seasons in Florida - hot and hotter!

But I love it here, too. I grew up in Kentucky and to me, it's just as hot and humid in the summer there and gets nasty and cold in the winter. I don't miss the cold at all. The year-round sun here keeps me so happy!!!

Old 06-13-2008, 01:47 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,934,612 times
I live right on the bay. It hardly ever gets above 90 at my house Than again, if a hurricane comes in the bay I'll be jet skiing home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay