Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 07:34 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,641,705 times

Advertisements

In Pasco I prefer Hudson over Port Richey or Holiday but there are nice spots in all those areas and a little more shopping wise.
Holiday would put you closer to some nice beaches but a little bit longer than a 20 minute drive.
In those areas you will have a harder time finding a nicer home in your price range but it should still definately be doable.

One thing that was not mentioned earlier was Weeki Wachee Springs waterpark.
They have a nice beach at the springs with water slides. You do have to pay to get in but a yearly pass only runs $30-$40.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 06:21 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
If you don't want a long commute it is best to know where you are going to be working. I lived 9 miles from work in Tampa and it was 30-45 minutes during rush hour 7-9 am.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:33 AM

267 posts, read 1,141,144 times
I'll tell you what Spring Hill is really like. I am not a realtor - but a real person living day to day here with three kids six and under. Having lived here for a little over a year moving from Long Island - it is not in the middle of nowhere! No, it's not city life - but a nice suburban town.

The schools are not great - but they are not bad either. They are ok. If you are a parent who is involved in your children's education and stays on top of things - your kids will do fine. Don't just leave all teachings up to the teachers - in any school.

Shopping is fine here. You have all of the stores you need locally. If you want a nice big mall - then yes, you have to travel around a half hour or so to get to Citrus Park mall, but it is straight down the suncoast.

The people here are nice and friendly. There is a good mix. As in anwhere you will go.

There is alot for a family to do. You just have to get out there and do it.

My husband works near Tampa airport and it takes him 45 minutes door to door with no traffic on the suncoast. And there is NEVER any traffic on the suncoast.

But you really have to come and see for yourself. The area has grown so much over the years. My inlaws have been in Inverness so I have been here many times before moving down here. Do I love it, no. But I am happy here. Don't listen to anyone that says it is in the middle of no where - especially if they are a real estate agent - who I am sure has a hidden agenda.

And to touch on what someone else said prior - alot of the homes for sale are in the communities where investors built for resale and then the market crashed and they can't flip the houses.

Good Luck in where ever you pick to live your life!

Old 06-07-2008, 11:45 AM

713 posts, read 2,669,819 times
We visited Spring Hill, Pasco, Hudson, Inverness etc. and liked Spring Hill best of the bunch. S.H. getting that nice new mall on 19 (I believe it is) doesn't hurt . I think Penny's or Sears already went up. Any more news on its progress? Would love to hear about it.

I know one realtor who licensed in Pasco but changed to Hernando as she said (and her actions underscore it) that S.H./Hernando realty is better and houses have more value. Maybe our resident realtors can confirm or reject that notion. I'd like to hear comparisons 'tween the two. All I know is I prefer nicer things in life (as much as possible) and S.H. had it over the other areas I noted.

A personal observation: I love U.S. 19 which runs through S.H. and all those restaurants and choices. I call it Restaurant Row. So many good ones. My faves are the pancake houses, Red Lobster and Outback. And just a little outside town (Cortez, out to Brooksville) are Waffle House, Cracker Barrel and a bit further out, The Golden Corral. All yummy places to eat. Num!

Then there are those cool waterfront eateries past Weeki Wachi, with all the delish seafood, view and local flavor. A sweet town carved out of nature...with much woodsy areas left to enjoy. Good job, mon.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:11 PM

6 posts, read 51,634 times
I guess I'm trying to get away from "woodsy" because we have that here in Michigan. I want to go to "beachy". There are no beaches near Spring Hill? I'm not counting Weeki Wachi Waterpark.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:45 PM

105 posts, read 200,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
It's quite amusing that the 2 arguing in this thread are both real estate agents pulling for their own areas. I guess that's typical with realtors.
actually its not typical.... I normally have great communication with my fella realtors and maybe it's something me and Mike should have not discussed in a public forum! Everyone has their own opinion about an area which I totally respect but don't have to agree with them and neiher expect for everyone to agree with me on my opinion!
Plus I dont need to pull anybody from anywhere... I come here to the chat to socialize if anything not to work! so that;s my last two cents here in this thread lol

Old 06-07-2008, 07:03 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,098,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyboo522 View Post
I guess I'm trying to get away from "woodsy" because we have that here in Michigan. I want to go to "beachy". There are no beaches near Spring Hill? I'm not counting Weeki Wachi Waterpark.
There are no beaches nearby other than the man made Pine Island but if your looking for any kind of waves, you won't find them there either. You'll end up traveling south 30 or 40 minutes to find a beach. Won't find any going north at all. In my opinion, the beaches on the east side of the state are more fun. I like big waves and the west coast doesn't have any.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:13 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,098,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandy_tampa View Post
actually its not typical.... I normally have great communication with my fella realtors and maybe it's something me and Mike should have not discussed in a public forum! Everyone has their own opinion about an area which I totally respect but don't have to agree with them and neiher expect for everyone to agree with me on my opinion!
Plus I dont need to pull anybody from anywhere... I come here to the chat to socialize if anything not to work! so that;s my last two cents here in this thread lol
Your right, everyone has their own opinion but i just find it interesting how everyone has to battle their own opinions to get a point across. I agree with you that there are not great paying jobs in Springhill and most people who live there do travel to Tampa. I have several friends who live in Springhill and they travel the Suncoast everyday for work in Tampa. My husband grew up in Springhill since he was 6 years old (his parents still there) and he said it's gone DOWNHILL real fast. Sure businesses are opening but paying minimum wage jobs. Who can live on that. I wouldn't consider Springhill in the middle of nowhere though. If you keep driving past Springhill/brooksville, then your talking about being in the middle of the woods because the Withlacoochee forest starts there but i'd say anything from Brooksville south on Hwy 19 is very busy and not woodsy at all.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:19 PM

6 posts, read 51,634 times
Quote:
There are no beaches nearby other than the man made Pine Island but if your looking for any kind of waves, you won't find them there either. You'll end up traveling south 30 or 40 minutes to find a beach. Won't find any going north at all. In my opinion, the beaches on the east side of the state are more fun. I like big waves and the west coast doesn't have any.
Yeah, I don't need big waves. Just a real beach. No man made lakes. We have a lot of those here too. I want the real deal with sunsets and all. That would make me happy. So, that being said, what are some cities close to gulf beaches?

Old 06-07-2008, 07:55 PM

105 posts, read 200,110 times
Quote:
Who can live on that. I wouldn't consider Springhill in the middle of nowhere though. If you keep driving past Springhill/brooksville, then your talking about being in the middle of the woods because the Withlacoochee forest starts there but i'd say anything from Brooksville south on Hwy 19 is very busy and not woodsy at all.
lol I guess I should have mentioned I am a city girl I grew up most of my life right outside of Frankfurt Germany and anything that takes me longer than 10 min to an airport to me is just in the middle of nowhere haha...
I am not used to the "distances" yet the US has to offer thats all
when my husband was stationed in georgia we lived in the "middle of no where also" and to be honest sometimes I miss the peace and quietness of that middle of nowhere from Georgia living in Palm Harbor now. I think more of a point for me was that if you want a job close to where you live Spring Hill wouldnt be my first choice thats all because of the hassle of driving. I wasnt trying to "talk down" to anybody that lives there or wants to move there. I actually have a dea friend of mine that lives there and she has a gorgeous home with over 3000 sqft on over 2 acres of land that she had built 5 years ago.... what she has for the price she paid you couldnt even find anything in Pinellas BUT she doesnt work anymore either and enjoys her horses and raising her kids up there. So thats a different story
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay