Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 07:22 AM

165 posts, read 516,218 times

Advertisements

We originally moved here four years ago and it seems like the cost of living has had a dramatic increase whereas salaries have not. Is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 08:07 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,900,979 times
I think the same can be said about most places across the US. I don't live in Tampa yet, but will in a few weeks. I live in a suburb of a large midwest city, and the cost of living has increased dramatically here as well. Oil prices affect everything, more than most realize.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:41 AM

165 posts, read 516,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
I think the same can be said about most places across the US. I don't live in Tampa yet, but will in a few weeks. I live in a suburb of a large midwest city, and the cost of living has increased dramatically here as well. Oil prices affect everything, more than most realize.
Has the pay stayed at the same level though? I know COL is on the rise, but usually there is a bit of a bump in salary. It seems like that isn't the case here...or is it like that everywhere?

Old 05-26-2008, 01:56 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,089,278 times
Pay has in no way increased as much as housing did; in a 3-year period, the average price for a home DOUBLED in the Tampa area (from $125 to $250k); now that average is down but is still over $200k. And I don't know of anyone who can say that they've stayed at their same job and almost doubled their salary

I know I have been at my job 4 years and have gotten 3-4% raises each year, which is more than many people have gotten!

Old 05-27-2008, 02:23 AM

6 posts, read 19,949 times
Nah, housing rates have increased a ton in the area. Even though they have declined some the average home is over 200K (as mentioned before) but pay (at least my pay) has not risen with COLA in the Tampa area.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:12 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,660,884 times
The whole country is going through the same thing. Our housing prices here have more than doubled in the past few years and pay has not gone up by much. I think the figure that was released recently stated that more than half of the people in our state would not be able to afford buying a home. Then you can throw several thousand dollars into heating your home in the winter. Who knows what that will be this winter with the cost of oil. Most places I have ever worked in the country only give what is called a cost of living raise(around 3%). The only time I have ever seen larger raises is when they do a market adjustment(nothing to do with cost of living, It's to bring your pay up to what others make in your region). It may look like you make more in the Northeast, but you will pay for it in the higher cost of living.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:02 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,376,927 times
Thankfully my company has provided "market adjustments" over the past 4 years, and looks like they are getting ready to do another one in 2009, so instead of a typical 3-5% increase each year, most of us in the area are seeing a 6-11% increase year after year, just trying to keep up with the other companies pay scales in the area to better atract and retain good associates.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:28 AM

190 posts, read 650,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
very good point. me, myself, being 28 and single, i make pretty good money, but if i choose to remain single, i wont be able to purchase a home for myself.

what happened to the good old days? dad use to work and mom stayed home with the kids and they had a nice home, new cars, all the good stuff. i guess i was born 50 years to late.

today, mom and dad works while the kids are out roaming the streets doing things they shouldn't, the house is in foreclosure, the cars are getting repo'ed and the savings are in the gas tanks. this economy sucks.

middle class is quickly getting wiped out in america, the golden years behind us, and the greed of big business hurting us all. and its never going to get better....

i just try to think that we still have it better then most. there are many 3rd world countries out there were people are dying from starvation and disease.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:54 PM

69 posts, read 203,571 times
Default Tampa ranked dead last!

There was an article in the tribune about tampa ranking last among it's regional partners and it was due to the housing market and the the pay rate. So it's not happening everywhere as someone commented but to answer your question COL has out paced the pay rate in tampa.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:40 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,888,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLuvWitFlo View Post
There was an article in the tribune about tampa ranking last among it's regional partners and it was due to the housing market and the the pay rate. So it's not happening everywhere as someone commented but to answer your question COL has out paced the pay rate in tampa.
I hate to constantly say bad things about the Tampa area as I'm native to the area and really, really love and miss it but some people REALLY need to quit drinking the " good weather " koolaide.

No, it's NOT happening everywhere. The economy in Texas ( for example ) has never been better, The housing market is extremely cheap and jobs in the metro areas ( Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio ) are in abundance.

The economy in Middle Tennessee is doing pretty good right now too and FYI, there are more jobs availible in all of the above mentioned areas then just Telemarketing call center jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: