U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 03:32 AM

34,241 posts, read 41,253,416 times

Advertisements

While i'll usually help out the occasional pan handler in the city its getting ridiculous as i drive from St Pete to Springhill as it seems at every traffic light there are a group of pan handlers that have all directions covered for asking stopped cars for money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 08:40 AM

817 posts, read 1,919,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
They play on your emotions. Don't let them win. Tell them to get lost. There are places where these people can eat........for free.

THIS IS TRUE. I guarantee you that NO ONE needs to go hungry. There are lots of charities and social service orgs that provide free food, clothes, etc to anyone that wants them. Heck, I make a good living and live in a nice suburban home. I could drive over to Metro Ministries RIGHT NOW and get a couple of bags of free food and they wouldn't even question me about it!

DON'T GIVE BUMS MONEY. It makes everything about that situation worse. Give that money to charities instead.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:49 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,861,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post
THIS IS TRUE. I guarantee you that NO ONE needs to go hungry. There are lots of charities and social service orgs that provide free food, clothes, etc to anyone that wants them. Heck, I make a good living and live in a nice suburban home. I could drive over to Metro Ministries RIGHT NOW and get a couple of bags of free food and they wouldn't even question me about it!

DON'T GIVE BUMS MONEY. It makes everything about that situation worse. Give that money to charities instead.
AGREE!

Listen- the homeless can eat at a lot of places. If you arent too proud to beg for spare change, you arent too proud to go to a soup kitchen.

I have property in savannah, so i check that forum out from time to time. A homeless guy went to an internet cafe and got on city data forums asking about places to eat. The resources are out there!

Old 11-13-2010, 03:54 AM

4,091 posts, read 4,672,426 times
I don't know what it is about Brandon, but there are more bums here than anywhere I've been. Sadly, this is probably the most mild problem I have with this "city of the future." Maybe these bums are part of their plan to becoming THE city of Florida?

Old 11-13-2010, 05:57 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,963,275 times
Tampa is ridiculous with the number of panhandlers it has. Sometimes I see them at each and every intersection on dale mabry, every time I stop at a red light, there is another one.

I was recently in a larger city (San Francisco), yes there were panhandlers, but they were actually mentally handicapped. One saw I had a doggie bag from a restaurant and when I handed it to him, he was so grateful and told me he was starving. Every person who has told me they give food to panhandlers in Tampa has said they didnt want it or threw it out. I have known numerous people who offered them day laborer jobs and they said no, why work when they can make more on the street!!

I dont believe it is solely due to the economy, it seems to be due to laziness, alcoholism, drugs, greed, etc and for those reasons I would NEVER give them any money

Old 11-13-2010, 03:14 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,800,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtree11 View Post
The problem of the homeless is so bad in some counties entire shopping areas are losing retail business. Customers and money avoid the stores, because no one wants to pass by a half dozen homeless panhandlers to walk into a store or restaurant, the homeless sleep on the benches outside the stores and eat and forage out of the stores and restaurants garbage cans. The police, hospitals and social agencies know who the repeat offender criminals and con artists are and who the truely needy are, the verifiable needy must be processed into programs and the panhandlers and con artists need to be arrested.
Millions of bums from the cold north will descend on florida this winter, so the police chiefs, social service agencies and county administrators and commisioners are all working together to tackle this growing problem.
Try going to a store or restaurant and having 5-10-20-30 bums, cons, panhandlers and homeless hit on you for money or help, you will NEVER shop, visit or eat in those areas again. THIS IS A REALITY FOR SOME CITIES THAT IGNORE THE PROBLEM, THE MERCHANT COMMUNITIES ARE DESTROYED. The problem is so bad in some cities entire communities are now ghost towns as no sane person wants to be harassed by up to 30 vagrants going from parking lot to theater to restaurant to retail store> The retail communities and merchants suffer the most, then housing values decline and you end up with UNLIVABLE HIGH CRIME COMMUNITIES.The public cannot figure out the needy from the crooks and cons but law enforcement and social services can run all kinds of fact checks to verify who is a con and who is in need.

It takes trained social service, hospital and police workers to figure out who the cons with the rap sheets are and who the genuine needy cases are.

Ask your local police chief, mayors, county commissioners, and social service agencies to work together to solve the problem or your towns will look worse then detroit and calcutta.

It is best to deal with the problem, build affordable housing near old farms or away from rich people who will complain if a deaf building or crippled building or elderly poor, or drug rehab building is built in THIER NEIGBORHOOD, put the drug addicts AND CRIMINALS AND CONS out by the state prisons, put the single moms and kids near jobs, daycare and vocational training, put the elderly near hospitals and grocery stores, put the handicapped in wheelchair accessable buildings, put all the veterans in VA accessable communities. This is the job for social services and human services and law enforcement and county and city planners, only the realtors and greedy zoning creeps will block correct development, the not in my backyard crowd, those are the problem people, not the solution people. The solution people are building affordable housing and passing correct policy and laws to deal with this ever growing problem.

HUMAN SERVICE AGENCIES LAW AND GOVERNMENT ARE TRAINED AND HAVE THE RESOURCES TO DEAL WITH THIS, IT IS CALLED CITY PLANNING.

Ask your city planners to come up with reasonable solutions, thats what they are paid to do, and oppose greedy people who try to ignore the problem or lie about the bad effect, no one here wants bums sleeping on thier lawns and hitting on thier home and car windows in everyday commings and goings. If you do not address the problem with common good sense you end up with iron bars on all doors, stores, homes, restaurants, PANHANDLING carjackings and crime everywhere. Billions of dollars are spent ANNUALLY to aide international countries, and there are funds that need to be correctly allocated if you want to keep Florida safe. Ask your mayors, commisioners, police chiefs, governments, human service agencies, elderly agencies, VA, etc.etc., to work together and deal rationally with the problem, and it will be solved over time with trained people in charge.

Merchants do not pay high rent for stores with crime all over, people do not spend money in areas where elderly, children and cripples are dying in the street, GO TO CALCUTTA, YOU WILL SPEND A PENNY FOR A MEAL THERE, go to detroit, you will need a gun to eat a 2 dollar hot dog, go to chicago, 10 to 30 bums will hit on you for money as you try to buy food and supplies, criminals will pull guns or hit you with tire irons and rob your groceries on your way to your car, go to nyc and you will see 5 murders and robberies on any given street, merchants carry guns and have baseball bats they use every day in self defense from criminals, the buildings are in decay BECAUSE NO CUSTOMERS WITH MONEY WILL SHOP THERE and no one is safe, visit LA, and try to eat out without getting mugged or shot, no one delivers pizzas, because pizza delivery men are murdered daily for thier pizza money. This is a reality in many cities and towns, the local tourist boards will try to cover it up, that con lasts about a year, then merchants and property values drop to nothing, more jobs are lost and crime gets worse. YOU CANNOT SWEEP MILLIONS OF HOMELESS UNDER A RUG, YOU CANNOT SWEEP MILLIONS OF HOMELESS STARVING CHILDREN UNDER A RUG, YOU CANNOT SWEEP MILLIONS OF CRIMINALS UNDER A RUG, THERE ARE PRISON CAGES FOR CRIMINALS, there are childrens programs for vulnerable children, there are senior agencies and commissions paid and funded to help poor and sick seniors, there are agencies funded to help cripples, there are prisons to help drug addicts get clean, there are veterans adminstrations to help vets, there are battered womens shelters to help battered women, do not reinvent the wheel here, just make sure the agency directors and planners in your town document and correctly handle the problem, so it is not in your face 10-20-30 TIMES every day trying to panhandle a dollar from you, no kidding, in some towns you will be accosted up to 30 times by beggars just walking 1 or 2 blocks, this happens in cities where they do not do correct city planning. So make sure city planners etc., in your town are doing a good comprehensive job and over time the problems will be solved.

ppl are so pathetic! have you ever been to Detroit????

Old 11-13-2010, 03:31 PM

15,914 posts, read 36,029,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
ppl are so pathetic! have you ever been to Detroit????
Ditto for asking him if he's ever been to New York City.

I felt MUCH safer in NYC than any other city in America. Its ranked something like 125th most dangerous large city in the US...which ranks it pretty much at the bottom for danger stats.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:17 PM

1,342 posts, read 1,705,554 times
If you want my opinion this is a smart thing to do on behalf of these "homeless" people.
See, I can identify because I am not part of the working class and am becoming desperate as the months go on. I ordinarily believe in making your own way and doing well, but what if you aren't good at it? You gotta resort to something right? I mean god if you can pull it off, do it.
My situation, I am almost unemployable by most places either that or some people discriminate while hiring me. I mean don't be surprised if I become one of those people IF times get hard. The only con to it is you realize you make so much, why bother working. I mean I see it like, if you make this kind of living, you should give back to the community or something especially if you rake in a lot. Then it would be even more justified. I can't ever see myself yelling at someone if they don't give me money because if someone begged me, I wouldn't give it to them either LOL. If they gave me food, I'd accept it, but if I wasnt hungry, I'd eat it later or something. I might consider doing it as an experiment though IF I fall on desperate measures. I mean the area suffers bad to unemployment.
With the career I picked, I contemplated the adult arena, but then realized it was something I didn't wanna do.. its all about experimenting until you find what works. I am just not a working class guy who has the ability to keep that kind of job for years so if someone makes this choice, it should be somewhat respected if they have to do what they have to do. My dad has a great work ethic, has kept a job for yrs, I just can't manage to take after him. I went in reverse.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:51 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,036,706 times
I grew up in NYC. There were plenty of panhandlers back then. After a while, they started getting more aggressive. They would approach your car to wash your windows, only it made the windows even dirtier. It did not matter if you waved them away and did not want them touching your windows. They did it anyway. If you refused to pay them something, they would get mad and break your wipers and spit on your windshield or sometimes kick your car. Finally one of the mayors (not sure which, I think Guilliani) decided to ban panhandling. Things got better.

I heard a story of a man who lost his job on Wall Street. He went out every day to panhandle and made pretty good money doing that. That was his new job, panhandling. He lived in Manhattan's upper east side too.

I heard a recent story that Hillsborough county has gotten worse because other counties like Pinellas has inforced the ban on panhandling. Now it seems like every street corner has a panhandler.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:32 AM

15,114 posts, read 31,005,993 times
I'm glad I don't see them here in Sarasota. Sarasota has been getting tough on "homeless" etc here so they are going elsewhere I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or