Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 10:13 AM

165 posts, read 516,188 times

Advertisements

We left FL for about a year in 2007 and returned in Nov of last year. While we were gone apparently the number of panhandlers in the area increased a thousand fold. In Brandon and other areas we see tons of them on the major street corners. It seems like the number and area of panhandlers has increased a lot in a year.

Anyone know why or what's going on? I know the exonomy has hit hard, but there seems something...strange?...with what has happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 01:28 PM

849 posts, read 2,921,611 times
It's primarily because many counties have not adopted ordinances to ban this type of activity, and that people still hand out money to these people because they feel sorry for them. It's terrible in Pasco County; every major intersection has at least two of them standing around with signs asking for money or food. Area residents, wake up! Many of these people are able-bodied individuals, who are doing this as a living, and they can definitely work normal jobs if they really needed to. There is an older guy on SR54 and Little Rd., and this guy parks his Cadillac (older model 80's) in the Wal Mart lot, works out there 9-5, and makes money hand over fist. Once a church group pproached this phony and offered to help him out...his response? " Fu** you, I do this for beer and cigarette money- I already get a pension." He claimed he makes more money doing this than working a regular job. He's a rude old SOB. Further research revealed he owns a home and owns the car. But suckers still see him and fork cash over to him at a feverish pace.
If people insist on feeling bad for these people and continue to give them money, then you'll see this kind of activity proliferate. Unless they block traffic or cause a traffic hazard, the local cops are not likely to bother with them, unless there is an ordinance in effect prohibiting panhandling.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:04 PM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Believe me when I say do not give these people a cent. From San Francisco to Seattle and here in between Portland is Panhandlers central. It has been a problem here for decades. These people go from street corner to store front to freeway ramp and can rake in $200 or more in a day. I could hear three of them fighting one day over a freeway ramp location as I waited for a bus,stating how much money they could make at that particular location. I work at the Portland airport and there is a van that picks these people up and drops them off at the entrance to the airport. They get in and out of their vans with their signs and people are stupid enough to give them money. Its a disgrace but what is more disgraceful is how anyone could be so ignorant as to give these poeple money. I would think Brandon would quickly put a stop to it, its a lot more conservative than where I live which is probably part of the reason it occurs in Portland so much. Radical liberalism on the west coast. The Portland TV station did a story on just this subject and interviewed the beggers here. Most of them said, its just how they chose to make a living since they couldn't keep a job or find one. I would hope the residents of Brandon and other communties contact their city officials about this because it spreads and before you know it, its everywhere. Eventually it will be at the Westfield Shopping Mall when you go there to shop or at the restaurants in town as you pull in the parking lots.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:08 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,681,822 times
There is a couple who panhandles from the I-75 exit in Brandon all the way to the CVS on 60 in Valrico and according to one of the clerks at CVS they make a buttload of money. They go in to buy beer and pull out wads of cash every single day. I am sure they make a hell of a lot more than I do.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:59 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,964,108 times
the tampa bay economy is in dire straits.....just look around and see whats going on here with crime, job losses, foreclosures, people leaving, businesses leaving, etc etc

Old 06-24-2008, 02:59 PM

1,890 posts, read 1,563,130 times
I lived in Washington DC for several years and I quickly learned the difference between panhandlers (beggars, bums, lazy) and the true homeless. From my experience the true homeless (who fell on hard times) are very proud, for the most part they are insulted if you offer them money but are truely grateful if you offered them food or clothing. There was one particular homeless man (it was apparent he had a mental handicap, childlike) his name was Dave, every two weeks he would come and see me and ask me for $4.50. I would always give it to him. That was what the local YMCA charged for him to take a shower. They would supply him with soap, razor, etc... And I would always see him afterwards all cleaned up.
Think about it - if panhandlers can stand on a corner all day long (rain or shine) there is no reason they can't get a job.
Don't give them money!!
When Bill Clinton was in inaugerated the first time, this guy I knew sat at the Mall all week, didn't shower or shave, just played his guitar and within 1 week he cleared $2000 for doing nothing because everyone thought he was homeless.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:33 PM

849 posts, read 2,921,611 times
Tagylyn said it right there. If you truly feel the need to give these people anything, give them a cheeseburger or some old clothes. The homeless population here in Pasco generally all go to Labor Ready or Able Body, and they put in an honest day's work. The lazy leeches are out there holding cardboard signs.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:09 PM

598 posts, read 2,268,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongedaddy View Post
We left FL for about a year in 2007 and returned in Nov of last year. While we were gone apparently the number of panhandlers in the area increased a thousand fold. In Brandon and other areas we see tons of them on the major street corners. It seems like the number and area of panhandlers has increased a lot in a year.

Anyone know why or what's going on?
I know 2007 is when St. Pete really cracked down hard on that huge homeless tent city in the middle of town. Bulldozers and all! It took awhile but finally they got most of them to move on. Maybe they all went to Hillsborough? I have noticed a few who used to be regular street dwellers in Pinellas have moved to Tampa and seem to be staying there.

I agree there are so many and they are VERY aggressive. They come right up to the car and get in your face and yell/curse at you! Keep your windows up! Some are koo-koo

Old 06-24-2008, 10:43 PM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagylyn View Post
I lived in Washington DC for several years and I quickly learned the difference between panhandlers (beggars, bums, lazy) and the true homeless. From my experience the true homeless (who fell on hard times) are very proud, for the most part they are insulted if you offer them money but are truely grateful if you offered them food or clothing. There was one particular homeless man (it was apparent he had a mental handicap, childlike) his name was Dave, every two weeks he would come and see me and ask me for $4.50. I would always give it to him. That was what the local YMCA charged for him to take a shower. They would supply him with soap, razor, etc... And I would always see him afterwards all cleaned up.
Think about it - if panhandlers can stand on a corner all day long (rain or shine) there is no reason they can't get a job.
Don't give them money!!
When Bill Clinton was in inaugerated the first time, this guy I knew sat at the Mall all week, didn't shower or shave, just played his guitar and within 1 week he cleared $2000 for doing nothing because everyone thought he was homeless.
I agree when one lives in cities that are known for homelessness such as DC and myself in Portland, we learn fast. There is usually maybe subtle at times but a difference between panhandlers and the true homeless person. I had no idea it had become such a problem in the Tampa area. I just had two of them yesterday when I went to the gym here in Portland asking for money, I gave them nothing and their response was F you. Id like to take a giant broom and sweep them out of here, but I promise not to Tampa.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:06 PM

91 posts, read 387,542 times
Yeah they get really annoying. I used to see them in Boca Raton down the road from my in laws community. I probably would have given them money here and there if I had not seen a special on 20/20... I think it was, or one of those news programs... it was on panhandlers and what a scam it is. Most of these people clear more tax free cash per year than the average middle class family. I'll give out a hamburger or a bottle of water to someone in need anyday but unfortunately, from what I have seen, you give someone begging a dollar and they head to the liquor store.

At least they don't run up, wash your windshield and then demand that you owe them money for the "services provided" like they do in the Bronx on the way to Yankees games. I have seen one of these guys kick the side of a car when the driver refused to pay for the window wash (after the driver screamed at him to get away from his car). Well the guy in the car got out and broke the bums face for him... I can't say I felt sorry for him.

Sometimes, at least in south FL, they are part of a group called the Homeless Voice and they are selling a newspaper for a donation. At least there you are getting a product and they are part of an organized group. Something needs to be done about these intersections where there are 4 or 5 panhandlers running up and down through the lanes of cars holding out their hands when you are caught at the light.

I feel for the true homeless and hungry, but as stated above, they are usually the ones that are too proud to panhandle and would appreciate food and water over money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay