Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 11:06 AM

126 posts, read 538,776 times

Advertisements

When we moved here 12 years ago, we were surprised to discover that rain falling in sheets is a normal, almost daily, occurrence during the summers in the Tampa area.

Then we were surprised to learn that almost no one here is a Florida native.

What surprised you about Tampa, either as a visitor or new resident?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 11:20 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,891,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyt View Post
Then we were surprised to learn that almost no one here is a Florida native.
That's because our state/local government decided it would be better to cater to tourists and northerners that decided they wanted to visit/live in Florida which created inflated prices on houses and higher prices on cost of living forcing native Floridians like myself to vacate my home just in order to live and make ends meet.

No grudges or malice entended, People that can, do and people that can't need to get somewhere where they can. Just a fact of life

Old 06-16-2008, 03:29 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,556 times
i was surprised at how many people were tampa natives as compared to south florida where i was living previous and no one was a native. i was blown away at what jobs exist in tampa and even more so what they pay. talented, educated people will not stay here nor move here the way the local economy is. many people are leaving and looking to leave. it must change otherwise tampa will be a backwater for retirees and those ok with making 27-32k. real estate will never recover unless locals are making money, the northeastern transplant money cannot save nor sustain this place

Old 06-16-2008, 06:29 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,600,605 times
You are so right about the rain. I was really surprised once to be driving north on Dale Mabry in the sunshine and see it raining in the south bound lane. Huh? I promise this is the truth; I have a witness.

I was also surprised the city itself is relatively small. I was expecting more like Atlanta.

And I have met more natives than transplants like me.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:35 AM

809 posts, read 746,842 times
You reminded me of an amusing surprise. I had visited Sarasota for many years (parents) before moving to Tampa (from the North). At the time, in Sarasota, it rained hard every summer almost exactly at 3pm every afternoon, which was PERFECT - cool the area down for the evening, and well before a drive home from work. Then I move to Tampa, and the afternoon rains seemed to happen at 5PM - making a mess of summer rush hour! Had to laugh about the irony....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyt View Post
When we moved here 12 years ago, we were surprised to discover that rain falling in sheets is a normal, almost daily, occurrence during the summers in the Tampa area.

What surprised you about Tampa, either as a visitor or new resident?

Old 06-17-2008, 08:47 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
Oddly enough many years ago it use to rain around 2-3 pm not 4-5 pm.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:25 AM

48 posts, read 177,752 times
The wonderful thing about rain in Florida, especially Tampa and parts south, is that it rains for 20 minutes and the sun comes out. You don't have endless days of overcast and drizzle.

The rain in Tampa is robust;when I was a kid living on North B Street, half a block off Howard Avenue, the streets would flood and we would walk around in a foot of water.

Within an hour, the water would be gone and the sun would be out. If you spend some time in Syracuse or Rochester, you experience the opposite; weeks of overcast.

I worked in Seneca Falls, NY one winter and did not see the sun for 3 months. I'm not kidding.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:50 AM

81 posts, read 308,415 times
I agree with the rain part ..I also was surprised at laid back life style in Tampa (for good!)..fell in love from day 1 and love hanging out in shorts without worrying about putting up those 20 lbs winter coats!

Another thing that surprised me, from what I recall my first time in Tampa (and it may sound silly), was that every apartment community would have swimming pools and tennis courts (many)..I absolutely loved that.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:06 PM

126 posts, read 538,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Oddly enough many years ago it use to rain around 2-3 pm not 4-5 pm.
Isn't that weird - over the past 12 years, the timing of the rain has changed from year to year.

I also thought it was strange to have so many bugs. The first year we lived here, we called it the Year of the Caterpillars, because caterpillars from the oak trees crawled all over our screen and house.

Then it was the Year of the Ladybugs ... the Year they Sprayed for Medflies ... the Year of the Ants when they invaded our home ... then love bugs twice a year!!

I can't complain - they were here first!!

Old 06-17-2008, 10:15 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,035,606 times
now while my observations only come from my visits to the area, what i experianced helped to forge the decision to move there... ..id been to a number of places trying to decide where id want to settle down ..i grew up out here on the west coast...and never really liked it.. over the last 6+ years ive lived in a couple other states..and traveled to others.all the while making alot of observations,both through personal experiances,...as well as just sitting back and "seeing" what goes on around me... the first time i visited the tampa area,..i knew that id come across friendly people..but i was surprised by HOW friendly tampa..as well as florida natives seemed to be...i definately dont recall any negative experiances..except for maybe the traffic downtown or by the airport...but what large city doesnt have stressfull traffic jams..or the occasional "uncourtious" driver..thats just life... i absolutely loved all the rainstorms i experianced while there...and the storms i got the chance to see,..over the gulf...words cant even describe the thrill...only in kansas where i used to live is the weather so "alive"...and there aint an ocean for many many miles.... i was a little surprised that the area lags a bit in mass transportation...but im very sure things will progress in the future...not everyone has the kind of money resources places like n.y. or san francisco have to quickly solve such issues.. pretty much..when i think about all the places ive been...and where i can see myself raising a family....i picture a place thats laidback,..and diverse..let alone somewhere where its not cold 5-7 months out of the year...cuz shovelin snow..and scraping 1/2" worth of ice off your car at 7 am just sucks... another thing that factors into my decision is where is the weather good enough for me to pursue a successfull buisness...let alone where land is going to be reasonable or at least less expensive cuz out here...its waay over priced...but thats in the future... basically,..after lots of experiances..in many places...tampa seems to have the majority of what im looking for...yes,..there are things to be aware of there..but there are things to "be aware" of anywhere... and one last thing....those wonderfull rainstorms....mean that i wont have to water the grass as much...more time to enjoy a cold one on a fine mid summers' eve...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay