Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2008, 05:28 AM

5,654 posts, read 6,213,642 times

Advertisements

First of all, this forum has a tremendous amount of very useful information - thanks everybody. This is a great resource.

I wanted to push my luck and see if I could get some specific thoughts on my situation. I am a single, mid-30s professional woman without kids. There is a good chance I may have an opportunity to take a position in Tampa not far from the airport. I am struggling with the decision. On my next round of interviews I am hoping to have some time to at least briefly check out some possible areas for housing.

I would be moving from somewhere else in Florida, where I own a house. I have to be realistic and anticipate it may take many months to sell it. So my immediate search is something that would be good for at a year, but does not necessary have to be the perfect spot since once I sell my old place I will probably buy somewhere.

So for now I am hoping to find a 2BR-3BR hopefully for $1,000/mo or less since I will be carrying a mortgage too. As a single person without kids I'd love to be in an area that isn't so family-oriented that it would be difficult for me to meet new people (the mistake I made where I currently live!). And in a decent area where I would feel relatively safe (I've lived in cities and understand you always have to use common sense but areas fall on a continuum).

Based on various posts on this forum I like the sound of the following areas:

Downtown St. Pete: May be a good place for the second move once I have sold my place and have more to spend but I am concerned I may not be able to find anything acceptable in my initial price range.

Dunedin: Unclear whether there are many rental opporunities there

Safety Harbor

Palm Harbor / Tarpon Springs

New Tampa: Sounds like the best place of the group for price but may not be the best place for a single person.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and insights! I want to make the most of my next trip there and won't have time to check out all of these!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 06:33 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
If you are looking for a place to rent check out S. Tampa or Davis Island. Both areas are safe for a single woman. S. Tampa is close to the Tpa Airport area, plus you would be going the opposite direction from the heaviest rush hour traffic. SoHo has a nice walkable area with restaurants, coffee shops. Bayshore Blvd is close by if you like to walk/jog, bike ride or roller blade on the sidewalk next to the bay.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:30 PM

598 posts, read 2,268,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
As a single person without kids I'd love to be in an area that isn't so family-oriented that it would be difficult for me to meet new people
I totally understand this! LOL My advice to you would be to look in the paper/craigslist/realtor for a HOUSE to rent. Apartments typically have families with kids, but single homes can have more adult/mature neighbors who respect privacy etc. and would be possible to visit after work hours / on weekends to see if it is the type of environment you are hoping for. Good luck!

Old 07-05-2008, 12:35 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
A house or townhouse would be a good choice, and I also second Keeper's recs for South Tampa or Davis Island - very nice areas, and an easy commute to the airport. The other places on your list might be too much of a commute for you, and a LOT of traffic.

Old 07-05-2008, 01:42 PM

Great - I hadn't read enough about either S. Tampa or Davis Island...I will put them on my list of possibilities!

Also, I have read about SoHo in a couple of places but I have to admit I'm not entirely sure geographically what it actually refers to (at least not in Tampa ). Where is it?

Old 07-05-2008, 04:49 PM

In S. Tampa, it really is South Howard Ave area. Not a large area but there are some really nice apts and it is a nice area. Some higher rank military live in the area as it is close to the AFB. I liked that you can walk to restaurants, which is not the norm in Tampa. Also Hyde Park is a happening place for young professionals. Davis Island has a hospital on it so there are usually a lot of medical folks who live there. They have a few restaurants too.

SoHoTampa.com The Website for the South Howard Avenue.
Soho, Tampa, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hyde Park Historic Districts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was looking for photos of hyde park itself, but didn't find any online.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:40 PM

Thanks so much - I've been doing a lot of searching on Craig's List and some other sites this afternoon and found a number of listings in Hyde Park, South Tampa and some by the AFB. Davis Island looked nice too but there were's many listings. I'm going to be sure to drive around the area when I'm next there to get a better feel for them - thank you so much for helping me target.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:42 PM

You don't want to be too close to the AFB in most areas, the exception being Ballast point on Bayshore. Any place South of Gandy, for the most part I wouldn't recommend, although there are a few streets/areas that aren't too bad. Definitely do not consider any place south of Interbay. North of Gandy is a better area and safer. If you are going for an apt, then list here and someone can tell you about if it is good or bad. If it is a house, list intersections or at least the general location.

I have relatives that live SOG and while they have had no problems, I being a single woman wouldn't live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay