U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 05:04 AM

428 posts, read 1,509,306 times

Advertisements

Yes, definitely a sandhill crane! Sorry, when you said it was more or less egret-size, I had this guy (cattle egret) in mind! To my mind, sandhill cranes are much bigger than egrets. Anyway, the cranes are beautiful and usually go around in pairs, or a pair plus a baby (darling!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 08:25 AM

22 posts, read 95,994 times
I believe I have those cranes walking around the community where I live. There are two adults follow by two young one. The adults are about 4 to 5 feet tall and on alert while the young one walking around searching for food. T

Old 07-12-2008, 02:52 PM

79 posts, read 248,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozart271 View Post
Yes, definitely a sandhill crane! Sorry, when you said it was more or less egret-size, I had this guy (cattle egret) in mind! To my mind, sandhill cranes are much bigger than egrets. Anyway, the cranes are beautiful and usually go around in pairs, or a pair plus a baby (darling!).

Yep, I never bothered to look at the differences between cranes, egrets, and herons. I always lumped these birds as looking the same but I see that they do have quite a few differences.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:28 PM

12 posts, read 12,412 times
I'm in New Tampa (Crosscreek & Morris Bridge area) looking for Burrowing Owls, actually any Owls to photograph. Anyone got suggestions close by?

Old 10-28-2012, 07:29 AM

4,500 posts, read 6,559,650 times
I just had to check on that kind of Owl, it seems like it is not easy to find.

Owls - Burrowing Owl

Old 10-28-2012, 08:34 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,346,473 times
Ours isn't really a yard, but the green area around our Dunedin condo, and the big live oaks right outside our Lanai. Open grassy areas dotted with oaks, and a small seasonal pond nearby. In the yard and pond, we get roseate spoonbills, snowy egrets, ibises, plus a family of muscovy ducks who mooch around the back of the healthcare center next door. Oh, and mourning doves.

In the trees we have fish crows and bluejays mostly, but had an owl one night last year--I think it was a great horned owl by the voice. Various unidentifiable songbirds.

In the sky we have raptors of various kinds, and a flock of some kind of parrot.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:45 AM

I read somewhere that they are in just about any community that they will burrow close to a curb, in an area like a baseball field, in newly developed communitie. I just hope someone knows of an area where they have been spotted. Or where there is a resident owl that they see nightly.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:18 AM

75 posts, read 203,454 times
I live in Brandon with a manmade lake in my back yard. We get ducks, used to get sandhill cranes, seagulls and that's about it.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:19 AM

1,402 posts, read 2,497,738 times
All the usual, plus a little owl in the oak tree, a rare spotting of a hooded warbler - 2 years ago - lots of blue jays/mockingbird/cardinals/small woodpeckers. Had a giant pileated woodpecker in the past and several hawk type birds looking for lunch (squirrels). Because we are near tobeach/intracoastal - we get white egrets and spoonbills passing through and packs of white ibis pecking up the yard. I am seeing wren like birds, tiny ones just now in the garden too maybe they are migrating? noidea what they are yet.

Old 09-16-2013, 06:40 AM

Default Still looking for Owls

Thank you all for commenting. I am still looking for Owls in the North Tampa area. Would appreciate your help. Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or