U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 12:13 PM

126 posts, read 475,230 times

Advertisements

Just curious to see what types of birds everyone gets in their backyards. What area of town do you live in? Do you live near water? Woods?

I have a quarter-acre lot in a Brandon-area neighborhood and have the following birds year-round in my yard:
Cardinals, tufted titmice, woodpeckers, doves, Carolina wrens, red-shouldered hawks, white ibis, mockingbirds.

On occasion, I'll see the following in my yard or neighborhood:
Robins, loggerhead shrikes, hummingbirds, various types of warblers and goldfinches in the winter.

What birds visit your neighborhood or yard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 03:43 PM

63 posts, read 261,082 times
We have the same birds you do, we're near Lowry Park. As a matter of fact we have a pair of mockingbirds building a nest in our palm out front right now. Its been lots of fun to watch, though I am sure the babies begging for food in two weeks will make us nuts. The neighbors had a hawk build a nest high in their back yard and only one of the three survived. We have TONS of woodpeckers here too.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:37 PM

598 posts, read 2,035,766 times
I'm near downtown Clearwater and feel very fortunate to have .20 acre so our back yard is great for birds! Lots of the same as y'all. Mockingbirds, cardinals, red-headed woodpeckers, hawks, doves, blue jays. I somtimes have yellow finches and brown finches that are so much fun to watch. We used to have a huge nest of green (quaker?) parrots in the neighborhood, but they are gone now. I guess they moved, occasionally some of the flock will fly over (wow are they noisey! LOL) so they must still be close by somewhere. Robins and those black birds stop by on their migration. Recently we've been visited by a small flock of white birds that look like spoon-bills, but without the "spoon"... anyone know what they are? Very pretty.

We also have the sweetest little owls! Not barely as big as your hand. They like to sit on our window ledge at night. So neat

Oh we have bats too! Love watching them!!

Mornings are glorious with all the birds singing... you'd almost never guess we're in the middle of the "big city"... sounds like the Amazon or something! LOL

Last edited by summergal; 07-08-2008 at 04:57 PM..

Old 07-08-2008, 04:51 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,749,061 times
Those little owls will almost certainly be eastern screech owls. There's a remote possibility they are burrowing owls but I would be surpirsed if they aren't screechies.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
Those little owls will almost certainly be eastern screech owls. There's a remote possibility they are burrowing owls but I would be surpirsed if they aren't screechies.
Would either nest under a wood deck? We suspected maybe they were living under our back deck awhile back because the dogs would go crazy snooping around the edges and we always saw "something" flit away through the darkness. Hmmm...

Old 07-09-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summergal View Post
Recently we've been visited by a small flock of white birds that look like spoon-bills, but without the "spoon"... anyone know what they are? Very pretty.

We also have the sweetest little owls! Not barely as big as your hand. They like to sit on our window ledge at night. So neat
The owls sound adorable!

How big were the birds that look like spoonbills? What did their beaks look like? Were they long, short or curved? Were they in the grass looking for bugs? Did you take a photo? I'm thinking they might be white ibis, but they have no pink like spoonbills.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyt View Post
The owls sound adorable!

How big were the birds that look like spoonbills? What did their beaks look like? Were they long, short or curved? Were they in the grass looking for bugs? Did you take a photo? I'm thinking they might be white ibis, but they have no pink like spoonbills.
They are small and white, like a spoonbill size lol, with long cured beaks... picking in the grass for yummy stuff, usually in a bunch of 6 or 8. Didn't get a pic but I do see them all over in neighborhood yards. I never think about getting a pic! Silly me

Old 07-09-2008, 06:43 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,749,061 times
A wood deck seems a little low for a screech owl but they are extremely opportunistic nesters so if they found a nice cavity in there they liked I could see them moving in. They are probably about 5 or 6 inches long, yes? The giveaway is ear tufts - if they have little ear tufts (they look almost like super-mini great horned owls) then they are screechies. Another hint is when you see them. Screech owls are crepuscular (meaning their favorite time to be out & about is dusk and dawn) whereas burrowing owls are diurnal (prefer the middle of the day). Burrowing owls, as the name implies, raise their young in burrows underground. They are the owls featured in Carl Hiassen's book "Hoot" and the moveie they made of it. Screech owls are also pretty gregarious and happy to nest near people. At the wildlife center where I volunteer we heard of a lot of them takign up shop in holes in soffit after the hurricanes of 2004.

The other bird you are describing does sound like a white ibis. They are about the size of a spoonbill. Adults are white but with red skin on the face. They have long downward turning bills that they use to pribe for bugs. They often travel in groups. There is also a glossy ibis which is much darker but otherwise just liek a white ibis. Much less common.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:03 PM

428 posts, read 1,511,019 times
I live on the Hillsborough River, so I see most of the above, plus a lot of wading birds--Great Blue heron, Great Egret, Snowy Egret, Cattle Egret, the occasional Green heron, Black-Crowned Night Heron, and fairly frequent Anhinga. Have had at least 4 varieties of woodpecker--Downy, Hairy, Red-bellied, and those big Pileated ones. Also see the occasional fly-by of a Roseate Spoonbill.

Lots of Osprey, Red-shouldered and Red-tailed Hawks, of course--and owls! Barred Owls are around a lot, with those bizarre hoots and shrieks. Love it whe two of them get to "talking".

Old 07-10-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summergal View Post
They are small and white, like a spoonbill size lol, with long cured beaks... picking in the grass for yummy stuff, usually in a bunch of 6 or 8. Didn't get a pic but I do see them all over in neighborhood yards. I never think about getting a pic! Silly me
Do they look like this: All About Birds: White Ibis

I used to never see them in yards. Now I see them quite often in yards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or