U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 12:36 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,854,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
One other thing Mrs. H they're always spraying here for bugs. JMO, but I think it has something to do with the stupidity rate which you will find is much higher here. I have seem more idiotic behavior in FL than anywhere else. It could very well be connected with the bug spray and what is going in the groundwater.

All kidding aside, I do worry about humans being exposed to so much bug spray. I have seen them come in restaurants and spray while people are eating. Imagine them trying to do that in CA? I don't think so.

But they're spraying for bugs here pretty much year round. It cannot be healthy.
Most of us keep our house clean and can afford the finer eating establishments and aren't exposed to all that spray, just a suggestion and I'm trying to be helpful here but a little Pine-Sol and elbow grease and you should start seeing a reduction in the number of bugs. BTW some of the TV news stations have lists of the resteraunts you may want to avoid because of sanitary concerns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 12:46 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,512,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
Most of us keep our house clean and can afford the finer eating establishments and aren't exposed to all that spray, just a suggestion and I'm trying to be helpful here but a little Pine-Sol and elbow grease and you should start seeing a reduction in the number of bugs. BTW some of the TV news stations have lists of the resteraunts you may want to avoid because of sanitary concerns.
In this area of the country I think i it takes a little more than cleanliness.

If you move somewhere there was a previous infestation you are going to need some chemicals at least initially.

And if you are in an apartment or condo you may have to deal with roaches coming in from other apartments that are less well kept.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:53 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,854,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
In this area of the country I think i it takes a little more than cleanliness.

If you move somewhere there was a previous infestation you are going to need some chemicals at least initially.

And if you are in an apartment or condo you may have to deal with roaches coming in from other apartments that are less well kept.
I guess whatever works for the individual, I'm a cleaning fanatic around my house and I haven't seen a bug inside in years, (no pest control company either). I've seen some Palmetto Bugs running up the palm tree trunks out in the yard, but the spiders and lizards we'll get em eventually.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
I guess whatever works for the individual, I'm a cleaning fanatic around my house and I haven't seen a bug inside in years, (no pest control company either). I've seen some Palmetto Bugs running up the palm tree trunks out in the yard, but the spiders and lizards we'll get em eventually.
You remind me of my parents in SC...they are OCD about cleaning and I have never seen a roach in that house. Only bug you will see inside the house is an occasional spider.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:34 PM

393 posts, read 1,355,159 times
There's really no need for those potential endocrine disrupting concoctions.

Here's a tip for killing those vile beasts that the roach spray companies obviously won't tell you about. Plain dish soap and water will kill a roach pretty much instantaneously. I keep a spray bottle in the cupboard filled with about a cup of water and a squirt of dish soap. It's amazing, because you spray the little bugger and he flips over immediately and dies in about 10-20 seconds.

This above is great for the occasional roach that shows its hideous face, but if you've got a more serious problem, I'd get some boric acid (used with caution) or diatomaceous earth(Diatomaceous Earth Food Grade) and apply to the hidden spots behind pipes or under cabinets where the roaches like to hide and mock us.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parasol View Post
There's really no need for those potential endocrine disrupting concoctions.

Here's a tip for killing those vile beasts that the roach spray companies obviously won't tell you about. Plain dish soap and water will kill a roach pretty much instantaneously. I keep a spray bottle in the cupboard filled with about a cup of water and a squirt of dish soap. It's amazing, because you spray the little bugger and he flips over immediately and dies in about 10-20 seconds.

This above is great for the occasional roach that shows its hideous face, but if you've got a more serious problem, I'd get some boric acid (used with caution) or diatomaceous earth(Diatomaceous Earth Food Grade) and apply to the hidden spots behind pipes or under cabinets where the roaches like to hide and mock us.
The thing I like about roach baits is that they track the poison back to thier kinfolk. In my experience it takes about a week and I see dramatic results. Now, most of this is in small places (rooms, apartments, hotel rooms) so most folks here may have bigger areas to consider.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:30 AM

216 posts, read 747,656 times
Here's another tip I've been using for flying insects:

I keep a small can of hairspray and zap the airborne critters.
Their wings stick together and they fall and die.

I buy the generic brands; cheap and sticky and highly effective.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:36 AM

3 posts, read 4,427 times
Palmetto bugs are everywhere in Florida because it never gets too cold. Unfortunately, and you found out first hand, that it also gets too hot for them. My family never really has much of a problem with them. Just make sure your windows and doors are shut airtight and you never leave out any food or dirty dishes during the day AND ESPECIALLY overnight. And you said you called the bug man? Well, we just do it ourselves because we're paranoid and we don't think they'll spray everywhere they need to. Plus, you over pay. Just remember, the best places to put down bug spray:
Along the doorways and between the frame.
Where you walls meet your carpet-they don't usually run out in the middle of the floor unless they have poison on them and they're dying, so this is a good place to spray. Also, they will climb up your walls, even onto your ceiling. ]: And they fly...

And you know borax? Sprinkle it on your carpet. Let it sit for a few days. make sure to walk on it so that it gets deep in your carpet. Then vaacum it up. It doesn't just get rid of fleas, but it'll kill those bugs too.

The most important thing is to make sure that you clean up after you eat especially good. Use a disinfectant spray every time on every surface. (:

I'm home all day during the summer and I keep our home immaculate. On top of the heat, my dad works in the yard and stirs them up, but they still don't come inside! Which is a blessing because we're surrounded by palms.

Also, in case you don't know: some people will tell you that palmetto bugs are not roaches. They're just friendly bugs that aren't dirty. THEY ARE THE AMERICAN COCKROACH. Search any site. They are straight-up, dirty, disease carrying pests that will eat anything down to paper and leave presents on your floor.

Good luck and welcome to Florida xD

Old 08-09-2009, 11:29 AM

22 posts, read 80,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Actually the Florida woods Cockroach was originally called a Palmetto Bug because it did in fact live under old Palmetto leaves.

The American Cockroach then took over that name.

Some other species also share the the palmetto bug name. The Smokey Brown, The Brown, and The Australian(often mistaked for the American cockroach).
The Florida Woods roach is slow moving compared to other species When disturbed the may give off a sweet-foul odor. I find them in compost piles, mulch beds, and under piles of leaves all the time.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:15 AM

196 posts, read 393,276 times
I second the joy soap (should be citrus) and water in a spray bottle. Like a 4 or 5 to 1 ratio works great. We had a box elder bug issue one season, and I sic'd the 4 yo on em. If he sprays himself or another kid no problem. worked great too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay