U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 10:35 AM

1,730 posts, read 4,114,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
Most of us keep our house clean and can afford the finer eating establishments and aren't exposed to all that spray, just a suggestion and I'm trying to be helpful here but a little Pine-Sol and elbow grease and you should start seeing a reduction in the number of bugs. BTW some of the TV news stations have lists of the resteraunts you may want to avoid because of sanitary concerns.
Amen to that. I am a native Floridian, born here in 1971, never lived outside of Florida and I have not even seen a Palmetto Bug since the early 1980's when I spent the night at a friends house in the area ironically enough names Palmetto in Miami lol!

I keep my house clean although I could be better about it, and never use bait traps or bug sprays and I have never seen a bug in my home. Dunnoy where some of these posters are going where they can claim they are everywhere but I sense either some extreme exaggeration or maybe they just hate Florida. I don't know but the idea that Florida is crawling with Palmetto Bugs that you can't escapse is just ludicruous and except in MAYBE an extreme case or two, BS.

ETA- I just asked my boss who has lived here since the 1960's if he has ever encountered one and he says never seen a one. And believe me if ever there was a breeding ground for roaches it would have been his batchelors pad back in the day lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 02:33 PM

12,135 posts, read 13,250,200 times
I cant think of the last time I actually saw a palmetto besides when I was trimming my palm tree. Palmettos live in palm trees. Never found anything in my mail box except mail. You are in a subtropical area. Thus there are bugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Mrs. Henderson you are in for a rude awakening. This place is loaded with bugs. The palmetto roaches( they are roaches ) are the worst.

You also have to be careful when you go to the mailbox, never, ever stick your hand in there without looking first.

Bugs and spiders everywhere.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:35 PM

One poster here who always has negative things to say does hate florida but wont leave because they paid cash for the house and are now stuck.

I agree with you. I am a native myself and the things the negative poster states is simply a pack of lies and exagerrations. We who lived here all our lives know the truth. Transplants who were forced here by their spouse have a different opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
Amen to that. I am a native Floridian, born here in 1971, never lived outside of Florida and I have not even seen a Palmetto Bug since the early 1980's when I spent the night at a friends house in the area ironically enough names Palmetto in Miami lol!

I keep my house clean although I could be better about it, and never use bait traps or bug sprays and I have never seen a bug in my home. Dunnoy where some of these posters are going where they can claim they are everywhere but I sense either some extreme exaggeration or maybe they just hate Florida. I don't know but the idea that Florida is crawling with Palmetto Bugs that you can't escapse is just ludicruous and except in MAYBE an extreme case or two, BS.

ETA- I just asked my boss who has lived here since the 1960's if he has ever encountered one and he says never seen a one. And believe me if ever there was a breeding ground for roaches it would have been his batchelors pad back in the day lol!

Old 11-12-2009, 04:26 PM

792 posts, read 2,018,539 times
Quote:

Moderator cut: ..

Our house is spotless. I sprayed with insectiside all the time and i'd see a few Palemetto bugs every single week. The ONLY that stopped them was the big Combat Roach traps that they sell in the home improvement stores. Once I started buying those, I didn't see them anymore.

Anybody who tells you they don't exist here is a flat our liar. My Jack Russell Terrier was a world champion at killing them. Every time my wife scream when she seen one, it would come diving over tables and couches and kill it.

Just remember to get those big roach motel traps. That will end them......forever.

Last edited by Keeper; 12-15-2009 at 05:16 AM.. Reason: please don't accuse ppl of being on crack

Old 11-12-2009, 04:59 PM

2,035 posts, read 4,523,993 times
before i go on, Has anyone ever tried orange oil??..I know it supposedly knocks down Termites but im curious as to if it would detour roaches..of any kind..

As for comparison, The "palmetto" bug aka American roach..as well as most of the native species usually don't invade homes...these creatures serve as decomposters in their natural environments. the "Bad" roaches include the German and a few others which were brought here some time ago..these are the ones id be more concerned about..especially since they can spread several gastro-intestinal-related diseases..including one which mimics a mild stomach bug and remains present in severe roach infested places..until the infestation is controlled..

While the Big Bad palmetto bug might show up from time to time, its generally just lost...they like decomposting plant material better then the ginger snaps or processed pig lard up in your cabinets.. The others, which like those dark and slimy places around a home are out to spoil your afternoon snack..

Still, i agree that they are kind of freakish..even if i was to see one on my patio, id just whisk it away with a broom..or let the Anoles and Geckos take care of 'em..

Im waiting to see the giant Cicadas ive heard talked about down here.."most" bugs are cool..

Old 12-12-2009, 10:35 AM

6 posts, read 31,219 times
Quote:

I have to agree with the above poster,Moderator cut: ..

I have lived in Jacksonville, Tampa, and now St. Pete and YES American Cockroaches (or as the locals try to label them "palmetto bugs" ) are everywhere.

It has little to do with cleanliness and more to do with how many openings there are in your house. I lived in two places in Jax (newer condos) and never even saw one. On the other hand I lived in an older townhouse at Jax Beach, a 1920s restored home in Tampa, and now an apartment in St. Pete and they are a horrible problem.

There is a reason why most complexes routinely spray for bugs, and the roaches are the main reason. If you have lived year for so long I only see a few options of why you haven't seen them.

1. Your home has no openings for them to get in. (great for you)
2. You just haven't noticed them, from what I can tell they won't actually breed in your home like the german roaches.

Now as far as your friends. Nobody talks about having roaches in their home, it's gross and embarassing. However when I have actually asked people point blank they will usually admit to having either had them in the past, or having them currently.

I happen to love the Tampa/St. Pete area and plan on staying, but roaches can be a huge problem. My current apartment was a condo renovation that was done on the cheap, very shoddy and full of holes. I'd say we find tiny dead roaches several times a week, and are lucky enough to find the full sized ones dead or dieing a few times a month. We are moving at the end of the month to a brand new condo so I don't anticipate having a problem there.

Last edited by Keeper; 12-15-2009 at 05:16 AM..

Old 12-13-2009, 07:21 AM

216 posts, read 748,748 times
About 6 weeks ago I moved into a newly renovated apartment building.
The building is very clean, I keep my apt immaculate.

I've seen one german roach; it fell out of the a/c vent during dinner and onto the floor. This being FL I obviously cannot seal up the a/c vents. Having grown up in NYC in an apartment building I can tell you they are in the walls in every building.

My point is that regardless of how clean you are, there are ways they can get in.

They win every time.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:28 AM

216 posts, read 748,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
Anybody who tells you they don't exist here is a flat our liar. My Jack Russell Terrier was a world champion at killing them. Every time my wife scream when she seen one, it would come diving over tables and couches and kill it.

LOL - what a fantastic dog!!

Old 12-13-2009, 08:28 AM

You may have a nest of them living on the roof under leaves or something.
There is a nest of them nearby your house and they are getting in one way or another. Check it out. Find the source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
Moderator cut: ..

Our house is spotless. I sprayed with insectiside all the time and i'd see a few Palemetto bugs every single week. The ONLY that stopped them was the big Combat Roach traps that they sell in the home improvement stores. Once I started buying those, I didn't see them anymore.

Just remember to get those big roach motel traps. That will end them......forever.

Last edited by Keeper; 12-15-2009 at 05:17 AM..

Old 12-14-2009, 01:38 PM

150 posts, read 414,121 times
I find that they come into my apartment more often between October and March, because of the cooler weather. There was one time when I was unlucky enough to find one thrashing around bellyside-up next to my pillow. Did a great job waking me up, though.

I just squish them when I see them. They're fast buggers, though, so you have to be quick on your feet to hit them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay