Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 08:12 AM

267 posts, read 1,140,906 times

Advertisements

Well, I guess I am kinda lucky, as I have been here for almost a year and a half (GOD, has it been that long already?) and last night I saw my first palmetto bug - in my house of course. It was on the ceiling. I managed to kill it with the broom, but was too afraid to get close to it to sweep it up and get rid of it. So, who volunteered to get rid of it.... my 5 year old daughter! I guess she is adjusting to the FL life!

I do have a question though.... if I have one - does it mean that I have more? I just had the bug guy here 2 days ago. Should I call him back? IMO, it seems that whenever he leaves, I find more bugs than before he got here. My dd says "mommy, I don't think he is a bug killer, I think he is a bug bringer". LOL.

Ah, Fl and it's bugs... gotta love it! NOT!

One more thing. I have also been having a problem with earwigs. The bug people seem to have no effect on them. Anyone else have any ideas. I find them all over the place.. upstairs and down.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 11:28 AM

792 posts, read 2,291,160 times
My jack russell kills palmetto bugs. She hunts them like prey. It's really cool to watch and best of all, I don't have to mess with them.

Luckily, she only kills them, she apprently doesn't like the flavor, so she doesn't eat them.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:39 PM

79 posts, read 277,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
My jack russell kills palmetto bugs. She hunts them like prey. It's really cool to watch and best of all, I don't have to mess with them.

Luckily, she only kills them, she apprently doesn't like the flavor, so she doesn't eat them.

Ha! Now that's my kind of dog :-)

Old 07-11-2008, 01:27 PM

126 posts, read 538,605 times
Whenever I see a roach and tell my exterminator, he asks whether it was dead or alive. If it's dead - he says that is good - because the spray is working.

When you hire a exterminator, ask about the warranty. Mine sprays every six months and says if I see any between those times to call him and he'll spray again for no cost.

We've had the same service for 12 years, and he's great. He does our termite treatment, too.

He now sprays for bugs outside the house only - not in the house.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:41 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,585,482 times
Default Florida and the bugs

Also with the amount of rain we've been having, it sometimes drives them to look for dry ground, I found a dead on in the tracking of my sliders, one in the shower area last night and I had the place sprayed in May.

Old 07-12-2008, 02:25 PM

267 posts, read 1,140,906 times
any advise on the earwigs??

Old 07-12-2008, 02:31 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,961,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniemom View Post
Well, I guess I am kinda lucky, as I have been here for almost a year and a half (GOD, has it been that long already?) and last night I saw my first palmetto bug - in my house of course. It was on the ceiling. I managed to kill it with the broom, but was too afraid to get close to it to sweep it up and get rid of it. So, who volunteered to get rid of it.... my 5 year old daughter! I guess she is adjusting to the FL life!

I do have a question though.... if I have one - does it mean that I have more? I just had the bug guy here 2 days ago. Should I call him back? IMO, it seems that whenever he leaves, I find more bugs than before he got here. My dd says "mommy, I don't think he is a bug killer, I think he is a bug bringer". LOL.

Ah, Fl and it's bugs... gotta love it! NOT!

One more thing. I have also been having a problem with earwigs. The bug people seem to have no effect on them. Anyone else have any ideas. I find them all over the place.. upstairs and down.
Thanks

Yea those things are gross yesterday I killed one in the kitchen floor or atleast I thought i did and it came out of the trash 2 more times. They just dont die!

Mostly they come up from the sewer pipes so they are not nesting in your house.

I did some sewer line work before and you would not believe how many of them are down there it`s like something from the movie creep show!

what I hate more then Those palmettos are the damn ghost ants!

Old 07-12-2008, 02:44 PM

132 posts, read 596,497 times
Palmetto bug! HA HA! This was named by real estate agents in the 80's who didn't want to use the the word "Cockroach".
They are cockroaches! Exact SAME insect!!! All Floridians know this little "secret".

Old 07-12-2008, 05:15 PM

86 posts, read 264,987 times
Actually, there are different types of cockroaches. If I see a German cockroach in my house, I can pretty much be guaranteed that there at least a thousand more in the walls somewhere (yuck!) and I'll find them easily if just flip on the lights at night.

If I see a palmetto bug, it is likely the only one I will find. If I had to have a roach in the house, I'd rather have a palmetto than a german anyday. Except that they fly, and I swear they fly directly at you! The evil little buggers!

To the OP, I can't believe it's taken you 1 1/2 years to see your first! I think it took me about 6 months after moving down here, in 2004 during Hurricane Charlie. I guess he wanted to be inside too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPalms View Post
Palmetto bug! HA HA! This was named by real estate agents in the 80's who didn't want to use the the word "Cockroach".
They are cockroaches! Exact SAME insect!!! All Floridians know this little "secret".

Old 07-12-2008, 06:18 PM

126 posts, read 538,605 times
I've heard people say they don't want palmettos in their yard because they attract palmetto bugs. I wonder if there is any truth to that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay