U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 07:04 PM

8 posts, read 20,045 times

Advertisements

I need some help my husband is being relocated to palm harbor florida for his job and we are looking for somewhere to rent a home. We have 2 children 10 & 14 and 2 small dogs. Currently we live in Ohio and have a nice large home 2400 sq ft in a very nice neighborhood. We need a nice home in nice neighborhood nice schools, accept pets. we want to lease the first year. My husband would not mind to drive 30-45 min to work. We are not very familiar with the areas and I am worried about the crime and sexual predators so what advice do you have for all of this. I am getting a little worried. Please Help We have been looking in Riverview but I keep getting mixed reviews and we have never been there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 07:48 PM

78 posts, read 220,010 times
Hi,

I lived in Palm Harbor for several years and compared to some of the other areas of Pinellas county, it's quite nice.

Personally, I would recommend the Eastlake area of the county. It's east of Palm Harbor and spans north on Eastlake Road. Just over the Pinellas/Pasco county line on Eastlake Road is Trinity, which is where I live currently. My family and myself have been very happy here.

I would recommend that you and your husband take a few days and fly down for a visit.

Florida does have a website where you can check for sexual predators. I'm not sure what the URL is for the site however.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:01 PM

471 posts, read 1,509,983 times
Riverview is clear on the other side of Tampa. It would be the ugliest commute possible in my opinion, and for no good reason.

Palm Harbor has many very nice family neighborhoods and reasonable rentals.
Your main concern should be high school assignment, which will be determined by school district maps. If schools were a concern for me I would want Palm Harbor University or Eastlake, not Countryside or Tarpon Springs. Almost all of the elementary and middle schools are A rated.

WestLake Village in Palm Harbor, Eastlake Woodlands in Oldsmar; Lansbrook, Tarpon Woods in Eastlake, etc, depends on your budget.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:33 AM

I failed to notice your comment about looking in Riverview when I read your post. That would be a brutal commute.

Why did you select Riverview as a choice? Do you have family there?

Old 07-13-2008, 08:09 AM

10 posts, read 50,263 times
If his job is in Palm Harbor, you do NOT want to commute from Riverview. Now if his job is in Riverview, you also do NOT want to live in Palm Harbor. The commute will kill him!!
Palm Harbor is a nice little community and it is close to the beaches and Tarpon Springs, which is also nice and has a nice park there. There are lots of places to live in Palm Harbor and they have magnet schools and there is a nice elementary school in Tarpon Springs that is also a magnet school. Magnet schools require the participation of at least one parent and the manditory attendence of PTA meetings. The children, however are much better mannered and learn more than the standard schools.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:37 PM

8 posts, read 20,045 times
Default Trinity, Land O Lakes????

Thanks for all the info. What do you think of Trinity, Or Land O Lakes areas for a commute from Palm Harbor???? It is so hard to research and try to find out without being familiar with the areas.

Thanks again

Old 07-18-2008, 02:52 PM

2,542 posts, read 3,614,293 times
I live in Riverview and there's no way I would commute to Palm Harbor. Get a map of Florida and draw a radius of 20 to 40 miles of Palm Harbor and consider the towns in the area. Commutes are slow and full of traffic in the Tampa area.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:12 PM

3,923 posts, read 10,292,044 times
kathy, as others said, Palm Harbor does have some very nice areas and the school system is good as well. IMO, Riverview has merits, but it is just too far away from Palm Harbor to even be considered.

Including Palm Harbor there are also Tarpon Springs and Trinity. You can research school information for the county (Pinellas) online at Pinellas County Schools.

Other areas within commuting distance to Palm Harbor are Lutz, Odessa, and Oldsmar. These suburbs are in Hillsborough County. You can research public school information at Hillsborough County Public Schools-Tampa Florida.

Portions of Land O Lakes would also be within reasonable commuting distance which is in Pasco County. Public School information on this website --> Welcome To Pasco County Schools.

You can also research sexual predator info on the Florida Department of Law Enforcement website at Florida Department of Law Enforcement. There are other sites that have these lists, but I tend to trust the one offered by the enforcers. Ha!

I'm certain this is quite overwhelming. If after your research you still have questions, write us back.

Good luck!

Old 07-18-2008, 04:24 PM

I live in Trinity (great area) and commute to St. Pete. I would LOVE to have a short commute to Palm Harbor. That would be an OK commute IMHO.

My daughter works in PH and lives with us in Trinity. I have driven her to/from work and depending on the time your husband is on the road, it could be maybe a 35-45 minute commute during rush hour (the drive TO Palm Harbor in the morning is MUCH easier traffic wise). I'm able to offset my work hours where I work to avoid rush hour. I have driven from Trinity to my office in downtown St. Pete in as little as 50-55 minutes. If your husband is able to offset his hours, it would make it easier.

The Eastlake area is between Trinity and Palm Harbor (I'm guessing he is working near US19?) - also very nice. Land O Lakes would be a painful commute.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:54 PM

3,923 posts, read 10,292,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMSFLA View Post
Snipped...Land O Lakes would be a painful commute.
I would agree, but I know someone who lives in Suncoast Lakes and commutes to PH and she doesn't think it's too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or