U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2007, 08:39 PM

267 posts, read 1,090,758 times

Advertisements

Does anyone live in or around fishhawk ranch? I have heard it is wonderful for families. I am moving to fl with my hubby and 3 small children from Long Island. My husband will be working out of Tampa airport. Does anyone know about the commute? Are there any other communities around that are similar to fishhawk. I know I want a younger community. I am looking to spend about 250,000.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2007, 08:50 PM

2,539 posts, read 3,868,160 times
Fishhawk is east of Brandon. It's a long ride to the Tampa airport from there. It is a nice area. Most of the newer communities are along the I-75 and Suncoast corridors. Unless you want to be closer to Tampa.

Old 01-19-2007, 04:22 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,275,861 times
FishHawk is fine. Housing is at a premium. For about 250,000 you'll find a 3-4 bedroom, 2 bath house under 2000 sq. feet. There are a lot of families in the area, the schools are good. There is a lot of traffic, especially when school begins/lets out for the middle and high school as the roads have not been built out to the housing. Morning/evening commute into Tampa can be tough but plenty of people do it. The county has just approved a 3000+ housing development that the Fishhawk community was fighting against. What has been a nice bedroom community will now have growth issues with roads, overcrowding of schools and people.

If you want to venture out of the FishHawk area, there are plenty of great neighborhoods. Lithia Ridge, River Hills and Twin Lakes. Tons of families in those areas and you might get more house for your money. The elementary school is different, still good, and those kids go to the same middle and high schools as FishHawk. Also the Bloomingdale area and Buckhorn areas are good. There's pockets of nice housing south of 60 and east of Kings Hwy. Look at schools that feed into Bloomingdale, Durant and Newsome high schools. Riverview is also an area but I don't know much about it.

You are going to love it here!

Old 01-19-2007, 04:36 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,275,861 times
commute to the airport from the lithia/valrico area. 40-45 mins. atleast depending on traffic. You don't have to worry about snow/sleet/ice tho! The Crosstown (tollway) dumps out in Brandon and then from there you can take various different ways to Lithia/Valrico. This will be the heavier, bumper to bumper traffic during rush hour. Also, there is no direct way from the Crosstown to the Airport. You have to get off of the crosstown and go through Ybor City to catch 1-4 and then 275 into the airport exits or get off of the crosstown and go through downtown Tampa areas up to the airport. Some go north on 75 to I-4, 275 then the airport. If you can, pick up a Tampa and surrounding area map.

Old 01-19-2007, 06:13 PM

267 posts, read 1,090,758 times
Thanks for the info. It's so funny. My hubby thinks that just because he won't be driving in NY anymore, that he won't have any traffic! Half of the reason he requested the transfer was because of all of the congestion on Long Island. $$$ too!. Does anyone know if they plan on expanding the roads in/out of fishhawk since they approved the expansion of home development??
I also heard some good things about "seven oaks"??? any info out there??

Old 01-19-2007, 06:26 PM

4,948 posts, read 17,751,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniemom View Post
Thanks for the info. It's so funny. My hubby thinks that just because he won't be driving in NY anymore, that he won't have any traffic! Half of the reason he requested the transfer was because of all of the congestion on Long Island. $$$ too!. Does anyone know if they plan on expanding the roads in/out of fishhawk since they approved the expansion of home development??
I also heard some good things about "seven oaks"??? any info out there??
seven oaks is off bruce b downs road. It is next to new tampa.
there are also lots of stores in that area, and you can get onto 56.

Old 01-19-2007, 08:16 PM

2,539 posts, read 3,868,160 times
Seven Oaks, Meadow Pointe, Grand Oaks and others are in the same area. Seven Oaks and Meadow Pointe are in Pasco county. Grand Oaks and Live Oak are in Hillsbourgh county about a mile away. All are nearby I-75.

Old 01-19-2007, 08:41 PM

436 posts, read 1,294,188 times
What about Grey Hawk in Pasco County? Any thoughts? Family oriented?

Old 01-20-2007, 08:47 AM

74 posts, read 357,901 times
Fish Hawk ranch, although a nice neighborhood, is about 10 miles east of Riverview proper. I live on the road that goes to Fishhawk, opposite the Riverview Highschool. They have widened the road to this point only - and I can tell you without reservation that I am so pleased I do not live any further.

Every evening in the rush hour traffic, as I turn into my neighborhood, I smile and am thankful for the easy journey. Because, as the road narrows in the direction of Fish Hawk, the commute truly becomes hell on earth. There is realistically only the one single track road to the place, and in rush hour it can take up to 45 minutes or an hour to get from where I live to Fish Hawk. That counts in reverse in the morning too. This you will add onto the 40mins to an hour(with a definate possibility of a +, given the everyday accidents and roadwork around here) to the airport rush hour traffic.

Unless your husband does not work regular hours, I would not advise Fish Hawk - Riverview definately yes - its a nice place, with plenty of home choice; no reason to go to Fish Hawk when you can get the same home within a minute or two of the I-75. In answer to your question - there are *tons* of communities similar to Fish Hawk, or planned to be when they are fully built out between Riverview and Apollo Beach. What Fish Hawk has excelled at is marketing, which is why you are seeing it advertised from afar ahead of the others. It has also had a few years to mature.

Old 01-20-2007, 09:32 AM

523 posts, read 2,723,374 times
One thing to look out for in FLorida is called development fees, and I know several families who passed on FISHHAWK because of high development fee, meaning you paying in your mortgage for the Land to stay undeveloped, instead of builder. My friend told me her was 20000 for her home she backed out. I know in Manatee county they are 175 month in some communities. We buy and sell in 2 yrs and we always make sure no fee before we even look.
FIshhawk is 30 min in traffic to get to Mall and congested . I lived in Bloomingdale near FIshhawk for 3 yrs, It was long haul to mall.
Just watch out for community developement fees before you even look at the homes and get excited. Most in Polk county where I live dont have them. but Tampa, Sarasota, Bradenton, etc have , them, Then you add homeowner assoc fees of 100 + a month. How can a family live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay