Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 03:36 PM

52 posts, read 194,756 times

Advertisements

pretty miserable cable
antiquated menus
poor on demand channel selection
sub-optimal picture quality

am i wrong to associate a good city with good cable?
or is a good city defined by its ability to stomach such bad cable service, because there is other stuff to do. who needs tv and so forth...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 03:44 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Antiquated menus? What does that mean?

I was looking through the On-Demand and I would be surprised if you couldn't find a channel offering blind, midget sumo wrestling. From what I could see it was a pretty full selection.

I think picture quality may have to do with the TV. Mine is sharp and clear.

I am not right in Tampa but I am assuming I get the same Brighthouse Network as down there.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:58 PM

68 posts, read 288,885 times
You can always get Verizon FIOS if you want.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:20 PM

119 posts, read 524,799 times
What is Verizon FIOS? It sounds like Brighthouse is the authority.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:38 AM

849 posts, read 2,922,784 times
Brighthouse's picture quality is not as nice as Verizon's FIOS (Fiber Optic cable service). THe only thing is, FIOS is being installed in communities piece by piece, so some areas don't have access yet. The channel content is essentially the same. FIOS is a bit more expensive, but it offers faster service than digital cable and broadband by Roadrunner, and the HD channels are much nicer than Brighthouse's signal.
You have to understand, pretty much everything in Florida is about 5 years behind what is going on in more progressive states (California, for example). Eventually they catch up. It's like buying a 5 year old computer....sure, it works, but its not as fast as the new models and the operating system is outdated.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:47 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,963,479 times
I would suggest satellite because the picture is 10x better but in the summer you will get to many black outs.

But I Agree Bright house picture is crap.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:50 PM

52 posts, read 194,756 times
Default why is tampa behind the times

when i imagined moving from a decent but ultimately teased pretty big and fully equipped midwestern city...i thought i was trading up!

tampa is behind the times what can i say

Old 07-17-2008, 07:56 PM

91 posts, read 363,692 times
We have Brighthouse, and their customer service is the best, hands down over Verizon. I loathe their customer service...And they were just fined with intentionally having blackouts (with cable and phone) like to the tune of millions. But, Brighthouse has had a series of periodic outages...not sure why that is, but every week, I'm dealing with a phone call clipping out, or my internet service dying. It's been better since we moved to Ballantrae, over Concord Station, oddly.

Tampa is not behind the times, I wouldn't say...Land O'Lakes is a bit. lol

Old 07-18-2008, 05:57 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,601,624 times
Yes, and it's darned expensive! There is very little competition here in the cable industry and they just do and charge what they want. I had DirecTV three years ago, Brighthouse two years ago and I'm just ending a year of FIOS. Each has its own set of merits and problems. We're about to switch again...

Old 07-18-2008, 06:39 PM

91 posts, read 363,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
Yes, and it's darned expensive! There is very little competition here in the cable industry and they just do and charge what they want. I had DirecTV three years ago, Brighthouse two years ago and I'm just ending a year of FIOS. Each has its own set of merits and problems. We're about to switch again...
do you find brighthouse to be pricey? Hmmm...with phone, cable and internet...it's like $110 per month for us. I just wish there were more companies to choose from though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay