Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 03:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,818 times

Advertisements

Hi I am super new to this site.

My husband is a contractor for the gov't and got an offer we can't refuse in Tampa, in the mac dill air force base to be exact. I am looking to see if anyone can help. We have two boys (8 & 1) and I'm looking to see what area not to far from the AFB is the best. The best homes or apt., best schools, etc. I live in Miami now so the change won't be that big but we are going into unfamiliar territory and it would be great if anyone out there can shed some light on the best areas around.
[
Thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 07:12 PM

14 posts, read 53,366 times
South Tampa (I'm new to the area... but I've been in S. Tampa for a little over 6 months and I feel very safe. It's also close to the AFB) Good luck!

Old 07-16-2008, 07:17 PM

362 posts, read 1,719,389 times
I'm a super new transplant to Tampa too. I'm renting a condo in South Tampa and lots of folks from McDill live in my complex, as its about 2 miles from the base. I know there's been a discussion of schools in the area previously, so you may want to do a search thru the older posts. I'm sure some of the natives or long term transplants will also chime in with advice. I've found their input super helpful. Welcome to the site!

Old 07-16-2008, 08:13 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
S. Tampa is the place you want to be if your DH doesn't want to drive 40 mins or more everyday to work one way. Houses are a little more in that area to rent but you will save $$ in gas. There are plenty of apts and townhomes in the area. Try to stay North of Gandy (NOG) although there are some good spots SOG.
Greatschools.net is a good website for schools, but there are several elementary schools in S. Tampa. Good Luck

Last edited by Keeper; 07-17-2008 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: edited

Old 07-17-2008, 07:49 AM

37 posts, read 104,522 times
I am a 30 year resident of S. Tampa, and 16 of those years my husband was stationed at MacDill. We spent the majority of those years south of Gandy. Its not as bad as a lot of people will tell you. There are some very nice areas down there..... there has always been a feeling that "south of gandy" aka "SOG" was not as nice an area as "north of Gandy" "NOG". There are some nice apartments, townhomes and houses for rent and they will probably be a little cheaper than going further north. If you have a liberal budget you will have an easier time. South Tampa is great but it is pricier than some other parts of town, but it is close to the base and you won't have to commute. I have posted my "ode to South Tampa" on 2 other threads so I won't bore everyone with that again, but I think its the best place in all of Tampa for convenience, character, and fun!

Old 07-17-2008, 08:29 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
I agree with you. I have relatives who live South of Gandy and they have never had a problem. There are a few areas to be cautious of but for the most part it is just as safe as NOG.

My xDIL rented a 3/2 older home near school for $1,000 a month between S. Dale Mabry and Manhattan.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:37 AM

362 posts, read 1,719,389 times
My place is .5 miles north of Gandy and I don't see an appreciable difference when I cross it.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:00 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
You might want to check out South Tampa and Riverview. Better prices, reasonable commute, and lots of military families. Also check out housing opportunities through the base. They are more than happy to help transplants.
I think you'll love this part of Florida. It's a very nice place to raise a family. Best wishes.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:26 AM

54 posts, read 264,079 times
I would have to agree with the bove poster. South Tampa is nice but homes are much more expensive. You can look for some place off of the cross town if you want to save money and get out of the city. Look at Brandon area and you will save lots of money on the house. Good luck in your move!!

Old 07-18-2008, 02:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,714 times
i am being transferred to work at the international plaza mall please recommend a condo for rent or a nice apartment complex nearby. i am a woman so i want safety
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay