Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2007, 09:38 AM

5 posts, read 46,297 times

Advertisements

Hello -

My family and I are relocating to the Tampa area. Is anyone familiar with the Hillsborough School District?

If so, what are the schools within the District?
What are the best neighborhoods?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2007, 10:54 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,729,583 times
Hillsborough County school district is like the 9th or 10th largest in the nation. Unlike elsewhere, where each city has it's own school district, it is the whole county of Hillsborough. That is the city of Tampa and the surrounding areas. You can find more info at the website http://www.sdhc.k12.fl.us/ You'll want to find first where you will work, how far you want to live away from work, then schools and homes. There's many nice neighborhoods to choose from.

Old 01-21-2007, 01:09 PM

5 posts, read 46,297 times
Thank you for your response. I am a bit overwhelmed at the size of the school district. I had no idea how large a school district it was.

Old 01-21-2007, 02:26 PM

5,904 posts, read 7,236,910 times
If you have specific questions, feel free to drop me a private note - I work for the school district in Hillsborough County.

RM

Old 05-10-2009, 06:40 PM

1 posts, read 5,401 times
Default Availability of Hillsborugh school dsitrict jobs

Mty husband and I are looking at relocating to Tampa, FL. We will be looking for work in the school system there. I heard Hillsborough is a very good school district. Is that true? How best communities to live in? We are both fluent in Spanish. Husband is a school psychology and I am as guidance counselor. What are the possibilities of find a position there?
Appreciate any imput. Thanks

Old 05-10-2009, 07:22 PM

5,904 posts, read 7,236,910 times
As a school psychologist you might have a shot. Guidance counselor, I doubt it.

While I no longer live in the area, I keep in touch with former colleagues, and the word is that it is unlikely there will be any new hires until August, after the hiring freeze is lifted. That may not apply to school psychologists, so check that out and see. The two school shrinks I knew have both left the district, one to become a full-time mom and the other due to a less than satisfactory work environment, mostly a huge caseload according to her.

If they are on the "normal" hiring schedule, hiring has been frozen at this point due to the internal transfer period and will continue to be until the middle of June at the earliest. You're too late to get into the job fair in June, as the registration for that usually closes in April. That's if they are even having one this year....

Some of the people I have talked to are even concerned about their jobs, things are so lousy.

If you move with the expectation that you're going to find work in SDHC, you better have a lot of contingency funds or a backup plan that includes other, more viable job prospects.

It's not just the school system - you don't say where you're moving from, but if you don't know the area, don't go. The majority of the jobs are in service related industries, and are relatively low paying. The cost of living there continues to climb, especially for things like insurance (home and auto) and even taxes.

I live in the Midwest now, and while I am just beginning to get used to the seasonal changes, the cost of living is significantly lower than Tampa.

I hate to be negative, but I want you to understand that you cannot wander down there with a U-Haul filled with your personal belongings and expect to find a job - they just don't exist. if you do your due diligence and really research this, you'll find out on your own.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: