Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 08:10 PM

69 posts, read 203,610 times

Advertisements

Sounds like tampaguy has got some good connections, bc/ i was in tampa for years and couldnt find that type of salary anywhere and i have a degree too and 10 years of banking experience the most i was offered was 30,000.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:18 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,378,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glastron_79 View Post
I would LOVE to apply for one of those 45-55k jobs! Where do I go? I have a college degree, 15+ years working experience in the finance area and I can HUSTLE to get the job done accurately and efficiently! I guarantee you I can run circles around any new college grad, too.
MetLife, Raymond James, PriceWaterhouseCoopers, JPMorgan Chase, CitiFinancial, USAA, TIAA-CREF, Bank of America, Credit Unions.....although I think it would be best to attain a head hunter or placement/recruiting service.....there are numerous smaller Financial and Accounting companies that dont readily advertise open positions...word of mouth, being in the know, networking, being involved in the business community and groups...working through the loca alumni center if you gradutated from a local school here in Tampa.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:19 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,561,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLuvWitFlo View Post
Sounds like tampaguy has got some good connections, bc/ i was in tampa for years and couldnt find that type of salary anywhere and i have a degree too and 10 years of banking experience the most i was offered was 30,000.
Sounds about right, very typical.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:00 PM

52 posts, read 194,735 times
tampa blows
oh wait, tampa rocks
blah

Old 08-11-2008, 10:25 AM

1 posts, read 2,682 times
Default Native

This is the largest "Hillbillie Town" you will ever see. If you learned Spanish in any other place on this planet other than Florida you will notice. Even the Latin population talk like "Hillbillies". The failure to 'plan ahead' in the 'Boom Years' (Tampa as an example) for commuters is very obvious. Unlike cities like Dallas-Ft Worth which has great roads for an expanding Tampa has very few for the future. Dale-Mabry "Highway" for example. How many Highways in large cities has STREET LIGHTS every mile like Dale-Mabry? Violent gangs,no commute trains and roads needing repair. The mayor just fired a bunch of employees that helps it's citizens and some of them had college degrees PAID BY THE CITY OF TAMPA. Good bye Florida.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:21 PM
BGF

57 posts, read 203,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glastron_79 View Post
I would LOVE to apply for one of those 45-55k jobs! Where do I go? I have a college degree, 15+ years working experience in the finance area and I can HUSTLE to get the job done accurately and efficiently! I guarantee you I can run circles around any new college grad, too.
Ah, I am not being an elitist, but the salaries being quoted on this board makes me want to cry. I have not made less than $55k since my first job out of grad school, and that was 13 years ago. Am I just that out of touch with reality? My friends in finance in NYC are making $150k to $250k base plus bonuses during the good years, and they are in the back office doing accounting, not doing deals or trading. Even government jobs in DC pay $80-$130k if you have the banking experience. Perhaps young grads should think about moving north first.

Last edited by BGF; 08-12-2008 at 07:58 PM..

Old 08-12-2008, 07:33 PM

154 posts, read 533,856 times
I agree. It seems from what I read that TB is not the best place to start a career. Once you have an established career, options exist: I am considering moving to Tampa with a significantly better salary than in NYC. So Tampa is not all that grim.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGF View Post
Ah, I am not being an elitist, but the salaries being quoted on this board makes me want to cry. I have not made less than $55k since my first job out of grad school, and that was 13 years ago. Am I just that out of touch with reality? My friends in finance in NYC are making $150k to $250k base plus bonuses during the good years, and they are in the back office doing accounting, not doing deals or trading. Even government jobs in DC pay $80-$130k if you have the banking experience. Perhaps young grads should think about moving north first.
You are not being an elitist you are just stating fact. I am from North Jersey and know what you are saying is true.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:53 PM

69 posts, read 203,610 times
I lived in Tampa for years and the most I could make was $30,000yr w/degree and years of exp. I recently moved to the midwest and my pay doubled. The truth is some exception do apply to certain individuals but for me my move away from florida added to my quality of life. Good luck.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLuvWitFlo View Post
I lived in Tampa for years and the most I could make was $30,000yr w/degree and years of exp. I recently moved to the midwest and my pay doubled. The truth is some exception do apply to certain individuals but for me my move away from florida added to my quality of life. Good luck.
Your experience is the same as what most of my friends experienced that moved from Florida. I am glad your move was a good one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay