Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 04:38 AM

2 posts, read 34,998 times

Advertisements

For more tour information go to Cornerstone (http://www.tampapreservation.com/tampa_preservation,_inc_006.htm - broken link) and click on Issue 2, 2008. There is a history of Temple Terrace on Page 8 along with contact info for the December tour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 06:52 AM

1 posts, read 7,993 times
I live in the North East Section of St.Petersburg. We are talking 1925 Victorian style homes, not one home is identical to the one next door. Most have Mother-in-law above garage that are like small homes, not attached. Houses here run anywhere from $200K to 3 million. I absolutely love this area and my house/s. I live off of 4th street and 21st Ave. North, you would figure there might be crime. It is the best kept secret, I see no crime, I hear no crime, and it is peaceful, yet close to the action. When we bought this house at $356K four years ago, the peak of the housing market, we invested another $100K in labor and updates. I can not tell you how pleased it came out. I have a private office, and 900 sq feet of work area, I have custom made. It is a man's dream of office, work area, and so forth. Yes I am kind of partial for my area of the property, but the house is updated new roof and new bathroom. I had a bad leak in the bathroom, and had to tear out the tub, concrete floors and even the walls. While I was at it, I got rid of two closets and made a hotub, tiled and modernized the bath room. (nice) Now these old homes do have terminte issues. I had to rip down a west side wall and clear out several of the window and repair everything, but it looks fantastic. Obviously I also tented the house.
Did I make a mistake....not on your life....I don't think I will sell.....ever. Now I know that the market will turn around. If and when I do sell, I hope to see the value of my house in 20 years go above 1.5 million. If the market was good right now, it would be worth 1/2 million.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:40 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,077,659 times
I'm waiting for the market to improve and maybe my friends who own a perfect Frank Lloyd Wright style home will let me sell it for them. It's not quite the same thing as you are seeking, but it's just a fantastic place. The tag will be high when it eventually goes on the market I'm sure. It's a pretty original home here.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:06 PM

58 posts, read 194,181 times
yes, definitely the kenwood are of st. pete.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:04 AM

428 posts, read 1,472,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Curt View Post
Thank you for all of the great replies so far.

Besides mid-century modern homes and Googie architecture, I am also a huge fan of those great 1950's ranch style homes that Florida seems to have so many of. The last time I was in Dunedin, we drove from there into St. Petersburg. I saw a great many 50's ranch homes in Dunedin, but didn't get the chance to explore St. Petersburg for any. That is next on my list, hopefully, sometime this fall or winter.

In the meantime, if anyone can suggest specific neighborhoods in St. Petersburg that I can add to my driving tour, please post them on this thread. I am going to map a driving tour and then bring along my camera.
I live in west St. Pete in a 1954 ranch home- knockdown plaster walls, crown molding, and yellow pine frame so think I need a concrete bit to drill into it.

Some neighborhoods for ranch-style:
Live Oaks
Disston Heights
Azalea
Jungle Prada

Old 12-13-2008, 11:46 AM

1 posts, read 7,827 times
Hi, I am Todd Foley with Coldwell Banker. I know just about all there is to know about Mid-Centiry Modern homes in the Tampa Bay area. And I do live in one in Temple Terrace. My website, tampabaymodernhomes.com is a good place to start. I have pics of about 50 or so. I will be updating a lot on this site over the holidays. There are about 20 or 30 I know of in pinellas. The "pink" streets has several birdcage houses. But the most in a concentrated area are in Tampa. South Tampa, Carrollwood, Temple Terrace, where I live, and River Bend. Those are the neighborhood names. I know of a few listed right now as well. We just had three really cool ones that I worked with on our Temple Terrace home tour. my green website is toddfoleyrealtor.com and you can email me at [email]todd@toddfoleyrealtor.com[/email] if you'd like any info. I have a driving tour put together for the important mid-mod homes in the TT. TKS

Old 12-14-2008, 09:09 AM

427 posts, read 1,093,050 times
Two major subdivisions that come to mind are Meadowlawn and Harshaw. Growing up on the water in Shore Acres, we always thought of those areas as kind of white trash. Well, maybe not as bad as Penny-less park or Semi-hole.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:26 PM

96 posts, read 736,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Foley View Post
I have a driving tour put together for the important mid-mod homes in the TT. TKS
Hi Todd (and everyone else):

I'm coming back to this thread that I started, only I'm about five months late! But yes, if/when I get to the St. Pete area, I may take you up on your offer for a driving tour.

Thanks.

P.S. I checked out your mid-century modern photo website that you put together. Outstanding, and I must say that it is very nice to find a real estate agent who really "gets it" as far as those types of homes are concerned. I'm impressed.

Last edited by Sailor Curt; 05-05-2009 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: Added a P.S.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:00 AM

1 posts, read 4,688 times
Default Mid Century

Hi all,

Any ideas on what areas of lakeland have midcentury moderns. I currently have a period home on the Mississippi Coast, not many of this period left now. Close to retirement and have been looking at the Lakeland area. Thanks

Old 03-16-2011, 08:10 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by servente View Post
Hi all,

Any ideas on what areas of lakeland have midcentury moderns. I currently have a period home on the Mississippi Coast, not many of this period left now. Close to retirement and have been looking at the Lakeland area. Thanks
What price range? You can find modest examples of this style all over the southside of downtown area. You may also find some for more $$$ around Lake Hollingsworth. Lakeland actually has some very cool vintage architecture.

Winter Haven also has some nice mid-centuries, this is the home of renowned architect Gene Leedy:

List of Works | Leedy Lifetime Works Web Site

Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay