Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 09:38 AM

428 posts, read 1,630,804 times

Advertisements

We may not have great sunsets from our house, but check out the sunrise! The river is really beautiful. Even if you don't live directly on it, it's accessible from a number of places.
Attached Thumbnails
Relocating to work at Moffit?-bob-teresa-phyllis-steve-031.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 10:25 PM

154 posts, read 533,813 times
Beautiful Mozart! If we decide to move to Tampa, we will look very seriously into riverfront living.
On another topic: I have read a lot of complains about low salaries in the Tampa area in many threads. When I checked several "cost-of-living" websites, things don't seem that bad. At least, comparing New York to Tampa. While the salaries are supposed to be 20% lower, the cost of living is supposed to be 40% lower in Tampa.
Is it: 1) because NY is the only worst place to live (financially speaking) in the country after Tampa?; 2) because these websites are ran by the Tampa Chamber of commerce?

Old 08-12-2008, 12:34 PM

8 posts, read 46,757 times
Thumbs up West of 56th in Temple Terrace

Hi! I'm the secretary of the Terrace Park Civic Association and I've lived here for 10 years. It is a wonderful neighborhood where you can find homes well under your price range in this market. We are west of Temple Terrace and located in the City of Tampa so our taxes are lower. While Temple Terrace is lovely, I lived there for many years before moving "across the 56th divide", I'm not sure how many homes are available in Temple Terrace in your price range, and Terrace Park is the next best thing. Residents here range from college professors & students to hospital workers and business owners. Since we are just west of Temple Terrace and south of the University of South Florida, our neighborhood is the most diverse I know in all of Tampa. We have Hispanic, Middle eastern, Italian, Jewish, Black and Asians who all live in our area, mostly because the university is close by (you really can bike from here - but from Temple Terrace? You've got to be really comitted!). We have an 18 acre City park (Takomah Trail), one of the largest science centers in the southeast (MOSI), Busch Gardens and Adventure Island right in our own neighborhood. The food is the best part, because of the diversity we have independent coffee shops, Mexican, Italian, Asian, Jamacian, Middle Eastern restaurants (& bakeries) all right here. OK, now I'm hungry! Our schools are Pizzo Elementry (on the USF campus), Greco Middle (serves Temple Terrace as well) and King HS (an International Baccalaureate school - my son just graduated with a full scholarship to Univ of Louisville). All the same as Temple Terrace, except for the elementary school. I hope you check out both sides of 56th Street!

Old 08-14-2008, 03:28 PM

2 posts, read 10,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alchem88 View Post
Hi-
I am considering a job offer at the Moffitt (medicine/research). What do people think of the Moffitt in terms of benefits, parking, work environment? My partner and I will have a collective income of 85,000 and 25000,000 for a house. Does what you save in state income tax mitigate the lower wages?
We are big hikers, bike riders and water lovers. Getting out on the weekends and a few times a week to do some interesting sporting activity is crucial. My question is: Can we get decent housing in a very low crime neighborhood for that price? What neighborhoods would you suggest? How is the cost of living? Possible commuting concerns? Are there great big open spaces with interesting terrain within short distances for after work week day fun? Is trying to get to the beach difficult because of parking or expense? Are we too poor and should look for somewhere else to live? Any replies will be appreciated!
I recommend New Tampa. You are close to Moffitt and the area is safe. My friend just sold her house for right around $250,000 and it was a beautiful 3 bedroom 2 bath newer construction home. In my opinion the houses of New Tampa are much nicer than Temple Terrace. The homes are near plenty of restaurants and hiking trails. You are not on a river, but I would not want to be. It may be beautiful, but you also have to watch out for the gators!

Old 09-14-2008, 06:54 AM

154 posts, read 533,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alchem88 View Post
Hi-
I am considering a job offer at the Moffitt (medicine/research). What do people think of the Moffitt in terms of benefits, parking, work environment? My partner and I will have a collective income of 85,000 and 25000,000 for a house. Does what you save in state income tax mitigate the lower wages?
We are big hikers, bike riders and water lovers. Getting out on the weekends and a few times a week to do some interesting sporting activity is crucial. My question is: Can we get decent housing in a very low crime neighborhood for that price? What neighborhoods would you suggest? How is the cost of living? Possible commuting concerns? Are there great big open spaces with interesting terrain within short distances for after work week day fun? Is trying to get to the beach difficult because of parking or expense? Are we too poor and should look for somewhere else to live? Any replies will be appreciated!
I was curious whether you took the job at Moffitt and if so, how did you like Tampa and Moffitt.
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay