U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 06:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,589 times

Advertisements

My daughter and I are planning to move down to Florida in October. She will need to get a full-time job and I will need a place where I can meet other retirees. What is the best city for us? Lakeland or Tampa?

I want to live in a safe area, close to the mall, movie theater, and near historical areas. Also, we are looking for an apartment for the first year. Which ones are the best in Lakeland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 09:31 PM

4,331 posts, read 6,580,666 times
I would say Lakeland is a better choice, but its really a personal choice based on the person themselves. Everyone has different likes, dislikes and needs in where they live. When I, like you was considering it for a retirement area, I thought Lakeland was just the right size city I would like. However I did think crime was abit high for its size. I also felt I might feel out of place rather quickly, so I had to say no to the place. However that is me, that is not everyone. I think for many Lakeland or the area would be a good choice. It has a sizeable retirement population but not overwhelmed by just that age. I think it would be a good choice since it is a self contained city, shopping, movies, medical care. beautiful lakes to walk around, a very nice downtown. I think its a nice location for someone not wanting a real big metro area like Tampa is. There are employment opportunities there, some big name companies are located there, however I am not really one for information on that one. I hope someone from the region will answer this thread for you, and give you a locals views on the area. Best of Luck.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:43 PM

5,973 posts, read 3,667,077 times
I would choose Tampa, closer to the ocean and your daughter will have far more employment opportunities. Tampa also has a large population of retirees, so you will not be alone. Lakeland is in the middle of nowhere, I would not recommend it.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:45 AM

10,363 posts, read 17,065,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I would choose Tampa, closer to the ocean and your daughter will have far more employment opportunities. Tampa also has a large population of retirees, so you will not be alone. Lakeland is in the middle of nowhere, I would not recommend it.
Lakeland is NOT in the middle of nowhere.... We live here and love it - so much so that we prefer living here and hubby commutes to downtown Tampa. Lakeland is clean and beautiful, has a thriving arts scene, a beautiful open-air mall, and population (in the city) of 93,000 - Polk County has over 563,000. We are equally distant from Tampa or Orlando - under an hour to each, and less than one and a half hours from either coast.

Lakeland has many preserved historic districts within the core of downtown - you will love the core of Lakeland ( that is where I live) We have 3 gorgeous lakes which are parks, one is a swan sanctuary, and one has a 3 mile walking/jogging path around it. That is Lake Hollingsworth, where Florida Southern College is located. Florida Southern was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright; and is the largest collection of his buildings in the world.

Come here for a visit, then go to Tampa. After seeing Lakeland, most people think Tampa just looks dirty. Tampa is my hometown, but that's how I feel about it. The only nice area is South Tampa, and overall there is too much crime and traffic in Tampa for me.

Anyway, check out this link which will give you more info:

http://www.lakelandgov.net/files/E4FA9D3A9F8F4B9A9D8A9D139709F695.pdf (broken link)

It's a pdf file, so it takes a few seconds to load.

Good luck!

Old 08-14-2008, 11:12 AM

2,741 posts, read 4,098,145 times
Lakeland is nice... Employment may be a challenge in Lakeland.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Lakeland is nice... Employment may be a challenge in Lakeland.
Employment will be a major concern in a city that small.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Lakeland is NOT in the middle of nowhere.... We live here and love it - so much so that we prefer living here and hubby commutes to downtown Tampa. Lakeland is clean and beautiful, has a thriving arts scene, a beautiful open-air mall, and population (in the city) of 93,000 - Polk County has over 563,000. We are equally distant from Tampa or Orlando - under an hour to each, and less than one and a half hours from either coast.

Lakeland has many preserved historic districts within the core of downtown - you will love the core of Lakeland ( that is where I live) We have 3 gorgeous lakes which are parks, one is a swan sanctuary, and one has a 3 mile walking/jogging path around it. That is Lake Hollingsworth, where Florida Southern College is located. Florida Southern was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright; and is the largest collection of his buildings in the world.

Come here for a visit, then go to Tampa. After seeing Lakeland, most people think Tampa just looks dirty. Tampa is my hometown, but that's how I feel about it. The only nice area is South Tampa, and overall there is too much crime and traffic in Tampa for me.

Anyway, check out this link which will give you more info:

http://www.lakelandgov.net/files/E4FA9D3A9F8F4B9A9D8A9D139709F695.pdf (broken link)

It's a pdf file, so it takes a few seconds to load.

Good luck!
If it takes 1 hour to get to a major city, Im sorry, but you are in the middle of nowhere.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,661 times
Default lakeland

I am moving down there soon. I would like to know which area will sustain a disabled person with small income

Old 08-14-2008, 04:32 PM

10,363 posts, read 17,065,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
If it takes 1 hour to get to a major city, Im sorry, but you are in the middle of nowhere.
That, my friend, is strictly YOUR opinion. Those of us who live here would completely disagree. Besides, Lakeland is a city in it's own right. I have NO idea why you always discount this area. Maybe because you discount every other area here in Florida. You live in neither Tampa nor Lakeland, so why are you even answering the OP?

OP - if you want a big city with lots of crime, traffic, congestion, etc. go to Tampa or Orlando. If you want a small city with a whole lot less of the bad stuff and a lot more of the good stuff come to Lakeland. I say, visit both - the proof is in the pudding, nothing like seeing it for yourself!

Old 08-14-2008, 04:54 PM

131,621 posts, read 43,933,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindalouwill View Post
I am moving down there soon. I would like to know which area will sustain a disabled person with small income
That depends on just how small the income is and what health care facilities you may need to be close to. Lakeland would be my pick as I travel to both cities often and see the good, bad, and ugly of both. I live close to Lakeland but not in Lakeland. I travel to Tampa for shopping for specialty items only. As said earlier Lakeland has more of the good and less of the bad IMHO. You and only you can make the decision for yourself. There is bus service in Lakeland if you need it. There are also county provided services for the disabled with transportation. Check both places when you can. Rent first is my suggestion. HTH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay