Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 01:57 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,087,069 times

Advertisements

The mone thing many people forget about is where yu park you car. If you live in a area that floods easily, becareful where you park it. Move it if it starts grtting deep. You will get a lot of rain in cities at times with a hurricane..And just make sure you have batteries, water and food for a couple days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 03:55 PM

262 posts, read 937,770 times
I'm going to agree with what Keeper said. And I'll add that, in the Tampa Bay area, we've been having a lot of rain this summer so the soil is saturated. If Fay is a rainmaker, there will be flooding.

If the authorities require you to evacuate, do leave - early. Shelters aren't the best places, as was previously mentioned, so if you can afford a motel, go there. If you're staying in the area, be sure to have some bottled water on hand (water can be a problem even after a TS), and the items previously listed (non-perishable food, flashlights, spare batteries, and battery-powered radio). If you require medicines, be sure to have a good supply on hand. You can pick up more comprehensive lists at Home Depots, or Publix - and other posters have provided links where you can get info.

And try not to stress. This is a good "rehearsal" for hurricane planning - right now, Fay is only predicted to be a TS or at most, a cat 1. (Of course that could change, but it's unlikely - and it may not even hit here at all).

Btw - I was in a hurricane in an apartment a few blocks from the Atlantic, back in the 70's. The management company didn't get shutters or even plywood as they "didn't think it was necessary." Since we didn't have the option of plywood, we did use tape on the windows - it doesn't protect them; it merely keeps the broken glass from flying all over, and it also helps to shut the drapes.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:58 PM

495 posts, read 2,329,077 times
Here is the latest forecast based on the NHC 5PM prediction. If this verifies anyone who owns property on the barrier islands off St Pete and waterfront property on Tampa Bay will have big problems.

http://www.crownweather.com/al06wind.gif (broken link)

http://www.crownweather.com/al06windzoom.gif (broken link)

And because Tampa Bay is on the strong side of the eye the storm surge could be really bad.

The wild card will be the intensity. It can be less or greater than shown here.

I think tomorrow will be a big shopping day at home depot.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:59 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,963,479 times
Thumbs up Be Prepared!!

Unless you live close to the water a flood zone or a mobile home you should be OK just stock up now on gas, food, water and other essential things when Charlie crossed Orlando it was a disaster no one was prepared what a mess.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:05 PM

Hurricanes turn counterclockwise correct? that would push water up into Tampa bay could be another New Orleans event of this thing hit cat 3 or 4.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:11 PM

Default Oh, and...

Didn't you say you're on the ground floor? If so, and if the forecast track verifies and Fay landfalls in the Tampa Bay area, you might want to take any valued items like furniture off the floor. In our apt, we had a few special pieces of furniture that we piled on the bed, along with the stereo and tv. This kept them out of the rainwater that seeped into the living room.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
Hurricanes turn counterclockwise correct? that would push water up into Tampa bay could be another New Orleans event of this thing hit cat 3 or 4.
Yes, hurricanes spin counter-clockwise. But the amount of water that is "pushed up into Tampa Bay" is dependent on how strong the storm is and what angle it approaches.

Right now, the forecast is for a Tropical Storm or a Cat 1. Of course, it's uncertain, so that's why it's a good idea to listen to the advisories. A Cat 1 isn't going to be another New Orleans event, although lower elevations will experience street flooding.

People in evac zones will be told to evacuate and should do so promptly and calmly. There's a huge difference between the messiness of a Cat 1 and the devastation wrought by a Cat 4.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:20 PM

Well lets cross our fingers that this thing weakens!

Lets pray together, a hurricane go away party!

Old 08-17-2008, 04:24 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
BJS.. what area do you live in? If it is S. Tampa there are some areas that are required to evacuate for a CAT 1 especially if you live right near the bay. The other thing is if you have a home telephone be sure to get one that doesn't need electric to operate.

I wouldn't leave Tampa for a CAT 1 or even a 2 for that matter. I know many ppl who left to go inland only to get harder by the hurricane inland than Tampa. Like Alphaman stated Charlie hit Orlando a lot harder than Tampa. We loss power but didn't have any real damage. Most ppl got their power back on fairly quick.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:29 PM

4 posts, read 8,570 times
Smile Hurricane; what are we supposed to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJS1981 View Post
Hello,

I am new to the area. What am I supposed to do if there is a hurricane if I live near the water? I think I live in an "evacuation zone." Do I go to inland Tampa? To Orlando? To Georgia? Is work usually cancelled? Isn't there a lot of traffic to get out of Tampa, because there's a lot of traffic anyway? Should I move all my valuables to an interior room? What should I do with my windows? Put tape on them? What kind of tape? Won't the tape be kind of hard to get off the glass once it's over?

Thank you,
BJS
First welcome to Florida. If you live near the water,i would prepare myself to evacuate. I wouldn't want to see your home flooded out. Do you know of anyone who can help you put up some plywood for the windows. Using tape will not evect the windows,if you have a friend or a relative in Orlando or George, Best bet would start finding out and preparing. but try not to worry,because this hurricane may make a turn. I am in Brooksville on the west side all alone,so i don't know what to do either. i live in a mobile. If you are near water, best thing to do is start planning. I hope this helped you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay