U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 08:11 PM

119 posts, read 482,484 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am new to the area. What am I supposed to do if there is a hurricane if I live near the water? I think I live in an "evacuation zone." Do I go to inland Tampa? To Orlando? To Georgia? Is work usually cancelled? Isn't there a lot of traffic to get out of Tampa, because there's a lot of traffic anyway? Should I move all my valuables to an interior room? What should I do with my windows? Put tape on them? What kind of tape? Won't the tape be kind of hard to get off the glass once it's over?

Thank you,
BJS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 08:20 PM

186,985 posts, read 76,886,683 times
I would talk directly to a seasoned neighbor. They know your neighborhood explicitly. What do they do? Tape on a window as far as I know is of little value. Again talk to your established neighbors who have experienced hurricanes.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:00 PM

807 posts, read 2,826,462 times
That's absolutely right. Check out the evacuation route you would need to use and if you do plan to leave, do it early enough to not get stuck in the traffic jam. People put plywood over their windows to protect from flying debris. A portable generator (6500 watts or larger) is a great thing to have for power outages and make sure you have gas for it. Just remember... stuff is replaceable...people aren't.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:36 PM

I live in an apartment. I don't know anyone. Apartment is on the first floor. Lots of windows. What do I do about going to work? Why would I want to be at work, my window is all buildings. What about skyscrapers downtown? Don't those get blown to peices? Where do people who evacuate stay, where do they sleep at night? What is safe? Is the InterContinental on Westshore safe? Does the whole city get deserted?

Thank you.
BS

Old 08-16-2008, 09:47 PM

186,985 posts, read 76,886,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJS1981 View Post
I live in an apartment. I don't know anyone. Apartment is on the first floor. Lots of windows. What do I do about going to work? Why would I want to be at work, my window is all buildings. What about skyscrapers downtown? Don't those get blown to peices? Where do people who evacuate stay, where do they sleep at night? What is safe? Is the InterContinental on Westshore safe? Does the whole city get deserted?

Thank you.
BS
If your area is under a threat then all but essential emergency employees are not normally required to report to work. And no the skyscrapers don't get blown to pieces. Glass does break. Hopefully you have a safe room with no windows? Do you live in a flood prone area? You must have a colleague at work that knows something of what to expect in your area? I went through 3 in 6 weeks 4 years ago. Life goes on if you pay heed and don't go out in one. Monday you should get answers from your employer as to policy. HTH. It's nothing to panic over by any means.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:23 PM

We have a couple of rooms without glass. They say to put tape on the windows. I live in an apartment and I don't think it would be cool if I nailed boards on the windows. But tape, does that keep glass shards from flying everywhere? Does the power go out?... often in these situations>

Old 08-16-2008, 10:31 PM

495 posts, read 2,083,351 times
Unless Fay strengthens into a cat 3 which is unlikely, if you dont live on the water dont worry about being swept away. Dont evacuate unless you are close to the water and the storm is a 2 or stronger.

The storm is projected to give Tampa minimal hurricane conditions now but that could change. A weak storm will probably knock out your power for a couple of days or more but wont usually damage your building unless a tree falls on it.

I would just prepare for no electric by buying drinking water, flashlights etc, a cooler, and fill up your tub with water to use for flushing the toilet with a bucket. Also google hurricane info for more details.

It could also change for the better for you if Fay turns north earlier than projected then clips south Fla then moves up the east coast. There are indications that that may be happening. If that jells then you will only get some rain.

The projected path from the NHS will change by tomorrow noon if that is happening. Check out the projected path in the AM and decide what to do then.

This current projected path will change many times in the days ahead.

http://www.crownweather.com/al06wind.gif (broken link)

Whether you even have a hurricane experience depends on where Fay crosses Cuba.

Last edited by wacahootaman; 08-16-2008 at 10:40 PM..

Old 08-16-2008, 10:32 PM

85 posts, read 310,976 times
Here's a link where others are talking about what to do in case of a hurricane in FL. Hope you find it helpful. You can also pick up a rediness guide at most local supermarkets like Publics or Albertsons.

Preparing for a hurricane

Old 08-17-2008, 06:38 AM

321 posts, read 919,585 times
Arrow Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilll View Post
Here's a link where others are talking about what to do in case of a hurricane in FL. Hope you find it helpful. You can also pick up a rediness guide at most local supermarkets like Publics or Albertsons.

Preparing for a hurricane
You have a lot of questions, and the answers are out there... but the first thing you need to do is relax.

Where did you move from? I'm sure there was some sort of natural weather occurrence that was unpleasant. At least with hurricanes, we have plenty of time to prepare. Fay will probably pass through/by Tampa Bay sometime late Tuesday/early Wednesday as a tropical storm. All that means is rain and slightly heavier winds than a typical summer storm.

Your employer should have a call tree in place for hurricane season (ie someone with decision making ability calls 3 people and those 3 people each call 3 people, and so on). Ask about it on Monday.

Make a kit & watch the weather. That's all we can do!

Last edited by AnotherDayInParadise; 08-17-2008 at 06:39 AM.. Reason: added link to hurricane kit

Old 08-17-2008, 07:02 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,903,439 times
If you live near/on the water if the hurricane approaches Tampa from the Gulf you will be required to leave. There are shelters where you can go but take it from someone who has been to one, if you can afford or find a motel room rent it. Shelters are VERY noisy and most don't have cots or even chairs for that matter. Take your valuables especially important papers. I would suggest renters ins more for looters. Most employers will close because of possible floods and loss of electric. Regarding Westshore area, it can flood if it rains a lot so you might want to look a little further north for a room to rent.

If the storm hits the east coast first then it will be mainly rain and wind and possible loss of power. Your employer will probably close but be sure to ask what the procedures are as where I worked we had to call a special number to get instructions, ours was our VM..

Get non perishable food, water and batteries, buy extra bread when needed, always keep these on hand until hurricane season is over. Be sure you have a radio too. Also a good idea to get some cash and gas for your car.

I am sure it is scary the first time, but this one doesn't appear to be anything more than a rainmaker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay