U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 01:22 AM

12 posts, read 22,436 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I just moved cross-country to the area. Moved from a giant house, sold lots of items on Craigslist (CL) there beforehand. Still have things that don't fit here, and have tried CL to sell them. So what's the deal here with CL?!? Can't get any reponses in the "for sale" section!

I know the economy here is poor. It was poor where I came from. So when you offer a really good deal, people usually snap it up quickly. (Price it low if you want it gone.) Not here, I guess. I have had to repost four ads three times so far, and only one offer to buy an item for so much less than I was asking that it would be better to donate it and take a tax deduction. As it is, however, I paid good money for these things and need a little something out of them to help purchase the things I now need.

I notice that CL here is overrun with out-of-work single moms with babies on the way, who just got their abusive babies' daddies thrown in jail, asking for everything for free (not even sure I believe that). Or people want to barter for crazy things. Perhaps CL is not the best place for me to be...I'm just tired of these things taking up room I need and am trying to sell them.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for selling furnishings and household items in the St. Pete/Tampa Bay area? Maybe there are some free local websites where you can post pics? I live in Waterside South and do not know of a bulletin board where these items could be posted in the condo community - but if someone does, please let me know.

Thanks a bunch for any ideas - things sure are different here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 01:30 AM

Default Oh, I forgot...

Is there a classifieds area here (on City-Data) somewhere? If so, I can't seem to find it. If not, there should be one...because City-Data folks are literate.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:15 AM

13,565 posts, read 23,049,866 times
There is a classified section on CD..
http://www.city-data.com/forum/classified-ads/

I would suggest 'The Flyer' or the newspaper. Maybe a yard sale but if it is 'high end' furniture then that wouldn't be the best idea.

Post link not copyrighted material

Old 08-23-2008, 10:57 PM

2 posts, read 3,520 times
Welcome to St Pete...I am LOL'ing in a kind way to your post since my husband and I also moved from a large home (in TX; where everything is big) to a bungalow in the old NE section of St Pete. We have been keeping our larger furniture in storage for the better part of a year and have been trying to sell it on Craig's list and Backpage. Sigh. I feel your pain. Let me suggest DejaVu (a consignment shop...I think it is on 34th St...not exactly sure). They will only give you 50% of the sale price that they get, but they are always busy. The charm of living in this quaint area can be frustrating for those of us who are trying to unload furnishings that just don't fit into the typical home here in St Pete. No one needs/wants to buy a giant bedroom set or, in our case, a custom pool table! The folks who have homes large enough to accommodate pieces that large are not looking for "resale" items. HOWEVER, I think that our current economic climate makes for an opportunity to sell "like new" pieces and you may do well seeking the help of a consignment shop. I might also suggest having a "tag sale" rather than a "yard/garage sale" and showcase your items to a controlled crowd of serious buyers. I hope this is helpful. I have begun to build a network of folks who can assist with moving of furniture, storage, repair, painting, etc... I know this is not the forum for such, but if you are patient and willing to ask-around, you will find many people willing to help! Good luck!!

Old 09-06-2008, 12:41 AM

Default Thank you...

...for both replies. (I had computer issues and was unable to do anything online for a while anyway.) Yes, it is time to get back at unloading these items - and I will try both your suggestions. Much appreciated!

Old 02-22-2010, 12:19 PM

5,453 posts, read 4,042,456 times
Stay away from craigslist here, it's a joke, I was in the same boat...I don't know what these people think, but I have never seen such rudeness as on the Tampa's craigslist.....

Old 02-22-2010, 12:52 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,700,767 times
I don't know if it has changed but you can post articles free in St. Pete times if it's under $100.
Another place to unload some of your furniture is Triage consigment in South Mcdill in Tampa.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:39 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,042,824 times
"So when you offer a really good deal, people usually snap it up quickly."

That is always true. I just upgraded from a condo to a house and have been scooping up things every week on Craigslist. Unfortunately for sellers, buyers like myself are getting used to buying used items at 10-20% of the retail price. I've run across some sellers that are literally dumping everything they own for a pittance just to get by.

Whether it's a full patio furniture set for $25, a beer fridge for $50 or lawn tools for a couple bucks each, it's tough to compete with desperate people that are (almost) giving stuff away.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:04 PM

357 posts, read 463,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Stay away from craigslist here, it's a joke, I was in the same boat...I don't know what these people think, but I have never seen such rudeness as on the Tampa's craigslist.....
Agreed! I can't tell you how many times I've seen junk on there that looked well used (furniture, old electronics) for a ridiculously high price. And when I post something in much better shape for less (to undercut the competition), people want you to deliver it and set it up for them!
For fun I like to browse through the free section to see what crazy stuff is on there.
"Free firewood -- you trim the limbs hanging over my house!"
"Free dirt -- you dig hole for my new septic system!"
"Free grass clippings -- come cut my grass!"

You can see where this is going!

Old 02-22-2010, 04:54 PM

96 posts, read 157,037 times
My wife is amazing with coupons. In fact I'm embarrassed going to check out with her since she will just throw in M&Ms or something just so the cashier doesn't owe her money. She would kill me if I gave away her secrets. Anyway we would for example go to the supermarket/grocery store and basically get $100.00 worth of product for free each time. Then we used to go to this Limerick flee market up near Valley Forge PA when it existed and made on a bad month $400-$500 "take home". I really enjoyed doing this on weekends since it gave me a chance to communicate and meet new people outside of my work in IT. Customers got incredible deals and they loved buying from us. So if you have a system and flee markets like BigTop and Wagonwheel have low table costs and allow you to sell supermarket/grocery store products you can do well. At least we're going to check it out. It's amazing if you put the time in and do your homework there are so many ways to make money on your own without startup costs. Just have to think outside the box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay