Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 06:49 PM

52 posts, read 194,756 times

Advertisements

tampa = a swamp
midwest = dried up sea-bed

therefore, midwestern humidity prepares you for the swamp that Tampa can be. Nonetheless, i would argue that the heat is less intense in Tampa in comparison to much of midwest, but, that the humidity is indeed more...of course, it lasts longer here, in both cases...hehe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 09:24 PM

78 posts, read 242,960 times
My allergies were worse in Michigan but I do have some problems here during the October-November time-frame.

I would suggest coming here during the summer to get an idea if you think the heat and humidity would be a problem for you. It really varies depending on the person.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:23 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,662,243 times
Allergies are different for everyone. Pollens in the northeast are about the worst I have seen anywhere. Everything blooms at the same time and you get this thick layer of green everyday on everything. It looks like the ash that covered everything after Mount St Helens erupted.
I personaly don't find the heat and humidity unbearable for many of the same reasons others don't. I don't think it's any different than anywhere else I've lived that's hot and humid during the summer. I does last longer than other places, so maybe that's the difference. The first time I came down to Florida during the summer I thought I was going to die after I heard all the horor stories about the heat and humidity. When I got there I was puzzled, it was no different than summer up north. In fact in the evenings it actually cooled down a little after the thunderstorms. The south is no different than the north. In the south people complain about the heat while in the north people complain about the cold. Feel lucky where you live. I will trade one of my 10-30 below zero winters for one of your 90+ degree summers any day of the week.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:20 AM

711 posts, read 1,856,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.coach View Post
That being said, I grew up in Buffalo, spent most of my adult life (thus far!) in Ohio and moved to Houston 4 years ago.
So how would you compare the weather (year round) between Tampa and Houston? Houston looks like it gets cold in the winter...

Old 08-20-2008, 06:06 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
I have spent a lot of time in the Tampa area and plan to move there as soon as we retire. I find summers in Tampa no worse than summers in Cincinnati. Both are hot and humid, but at least in Tampa you can go to the beach to cool off. My parents live in St. Pete and they don't believe it's any worse either. Honestly, the only way you'll know for sure is to schedule a summer visit. Best wishes!

Old 08-20-2008, 07:14 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,700,078 times
The humidity is bad here, nice and hot and stuffy. It doesn't effect me too much (my allergies) unless it's pollen season.

My friend has bad asthma and struggles during the summer months (which are like 9 mons. out of the year, lol). She is always on her inhalor...

Old 08-20-2008, 07:57 AM

151 posts, read 798,814 times
Quote:
Houston looks like it gets cold in the winter...
Yes, it does get cold....well, near freezing anyways. But winter only lasts for about 6 weeks. By Feb you're getting ready to plant annuals and get on with spring. And again, cold is relative....I think I wore my winter coat 3x last year, and that was only because I have one. If not, I'd have been fine bundling up with a sweatshirt or a leather jacket for those early morning rides to school.

DH has been here in Tampa since end of Jan for his new job, and said the winter was glorious! I wonder if I'll even have to wear socks???

I must say though, summers don't even compare. It was 107 a few weeks ago in TX . No thank you. My final a/c bill for June was $625, and we only occupied the house for 9 days that month prior to moving out. Buh-bye!

Old 08-20-2008, 02:42 PM

711 posts, read 1,856,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.coach View Post
I must say though, summers don't even compare. It was 107 a few weeks ago in TX . No thank you. My final a/c bill for June was $625, and we only occupied the house for 9 days that month prior to moving out. Buh-bye!
You don't miss great tacos and BBQ? I must have them every time I visit Texas.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:10 PM

151 posts, read 798,814 times
Tacos and such, yes, but we have had so much fun getting our hands on some decent pizza and wings here, that we haven't missed it *too* much....yet!

Old 08-21-2008, 08:23 AM

11 posts, read 31,196 times
I moved here from the northeast and I'll tell you the best advice I ever got. Yes it is hot and sucky in the summer, but like in the north where you spend several months inside because of the cold, here you can spend several months inside because of the heat, but...you don't shovel and you can choose to go to the beach. Your blood really dose "thin" and you get use to it to some extent. i.e. I golf in the summer, I sweat like a pig, but I am ok with it. Your kids will be less effected by it as mine seem to not even notice. form October to April though makes it all worth it, as there is no place with better weather then.
Antony Francis
Realtor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay