Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 06:12 PM

442 posts, read 1,578,455 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in Largo, and anyone on here who says it's ghetto or trash, they are most likely living in the actual ghettos or projects. As far as pinellas county is concerned, Largo is a fairly decent middle-class city.

I live near Indian Rocks Beach, between Bellair Bluffs and Seminole - which are two of the most up-scale, upper class cities in the south Pinellas County area. Largo has it's good parts and it's bad parts, just like anywhere else. The better parts are in West Largo. Like a previous poster mentioned, Ridge Crest, High Point, and some areas along Clearwater-Largo road are pretty rough areas. The closer you can get to Indian Rocks Beach, Seminole, and Bellair - the better. There are alot of small neighborhoods that really aren't bad at all. There's sort of a quaint 'small town' feel on this side of Largo. Seminole is great to..there are the up-scale areas, but the majority is middle-class. Check anywhere along 113th St. anywhere south of Ulmerton; Along Oakhurst Rd. is a really great area; and finally anywhere along Indian Rocks Rd, with the exception of the area between 8th Avenue and Ulmerton..it's affordable and decent, but really not nice at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 09:03 AM

138 posts, read 618,677 times
I am a born and raised Largo girl. I moved out of Largo when my husband and I bought our house which was in 2000 and will never move back to Largo. Most of my family and our friends still live there but everytime we go to visit them, my husband and I remember why we moved. Don't get me wrong, the entire town of Largo is not terrible. There are good areas and there are bad areas, just like anywhere. But there are not enough nice areas that would make me want to move back there again. And when I say not enough nice areas, I don't mean unsafe where you can't go out and walk at night. I just think it's a little more "run down" then where we live now. Like someone else mentioned, the areas near Belleair is nice and along Indian Rocks Rd are nice as well. I was raised in a neighborhood just off of Indian Rocks Rd and West Bay Drive and that area around there is nice. Just depends on where you want to live I guess. Everyone has different opinions on what they think are nice or not so it's hard to tell.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:59 PM

47 posts, read 157,413 times
I am planning on moving to florida at the end of February!! Can anyone tell Me a good apartment complex in the Largo Area!!?? Thanks!!

Last edited by Mr. Luckyman 58; 11-25-2008 at 05:57 PM..

Old 11-29-2008, 05:47 AM

183 posts, read 631,855 times
Yes, the west coast of Florida is much different from east coast and south. In Tampa Bay area housing prices are lower, the pace is more laid back, and people are generally more friendly.

Old 12-24-2008, 05:34 PM

47 posts, read 157,413 times
Default Info about Largo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender View Post
There is Largo and there is Largo. I am a female quite happy to walk my dog late at night on the streets in largo. You are painting a very unfair picture of Largo with your comments about other side of the railroad tracks, I'm not sure which parts your friends frequent, but they probably are not very savory.
Can You tell Me where You live in Largo?? I have been looking for an apartment to move to. Can You recommend any? Thanks!!

Old 12-24-2008, 06:47 PM

156 posts, read 493,112 times
Largo is often referred to as 'white trash' or Larghetto. However, I think it is meant more of a joke than actuality. Personally I think it is a very good place to live. It is convenient and centrally located. Housing and apartments tend to be a bit cheaper than its surrounding neighbors. Also, the City of Largo has free money for down payment assistance if you purchase a home. The area you will be working has been significantly upgraded. The previous poster referred to Largo as an "armpit". That's simlpy not the case at all.

Remember, you can get a street level view by using google maps. Type in the address then click 'maps'. The only thing I saw was a parking garage, beautiful landscape and palm tree. I hope this realistic review helped. Best of luck!

Old 12-27-2008, 06:50 PM

29 posts, read 94,084 times
I agree that there are nice places in Largo and not so not nice areas. I do heartily agree with the recommendation about Bardmoor - it's a lovely area.

I lived on the East coast of Florida (Ft. Lauderdale and in Boca Raton) and if it wasn't for the fact that both sides of the State have palm trees, I'd never know both areas were in the SAME State. It's a personal choice, but I vastly prefer the East coast. I've also lived in Orlando and loved it there. I live on the St. Pete/Clearwater border and I've been here 6 years and just am not a huge fan of Pinellas County. On the other hand, I know people who would never go back and live on the East coast - it's a personal preference I guess.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:52 AM

22 posts, read 98,725 times
Largo has changed a lot over the years. Its not the "ugly step sister of Pinellas" anymore. Its just like anywhere else, there are nice and not so nice areas. I hope you find it lovely and do well at your job.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:53 PM

428 posts, read 1,243,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan C. View Post
I lived on the East coast of Florida (Ft. Lauderdale and in Boca Raton) and if it wasn't for the fact that both sides of the State have palm trees, I'd never know both areas were in the SAME State. It's a personal choice, but I vastly prefer the East coast. I've also lived in Orlando and loved it there. I live on the St. Pete/Clearwater border and I've been here 6 years and just am not a huge fan of Pinellas County.
Hi, just out of curiosity, what things did you prefer about the East Coast & Orlando, and what things do you not like about Pinellas County? I can guess what some of the things might be, but I'm curious to hear someone else's viewpoint.

Thanks!

Old 01-27-2009, 03:14 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,078,305 times
I am not sure about rental apartments, there are lots of private apartments and condos locally to rent. I'd stick to Belleair area, Largo between Walsingham and West Bay, close to Indian Rocks, and just south of Walsingham. There are some nice condos to rent in Seminole - Costa Del Sol just on corner of Ridge and Park. Very well kept and good management and safe location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay