U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-29-2008, 10:26 PM

3 posts, read 5,253 times

Advertisements

Thanks for taking the time to read this...

We are moving our 15 year fishing tackle business to Tampa. There currently does not exist a fly fishing pro shop in Tampa so we are opening up in November. The question is where exactly to open?

We are going to live in the Lake Tarpon area of Palm Harbor, so we were thinking to have it on W Hillsborough Ave, somewhere near Sheldon or Memorial. There seems to be a ton of people and traffic, so we would get the exposure that we need. Someone however mentioned the South Tampa area as an option. One location is on El Prado Blvd.

I am very concerned about the commute, as I have three little boys and don't wish to be away from the family, driving for hours to get to our shop. I also am under the belief that in our specialized business and products, coupled with the fact that there are no other shops in Tampa selling fly fishing goods, that the consumers would come to us wherever we are. However, someone mentioned that the "money" is in south Tampa. Now I am really confused. Would my business do better in South Tampa than up a bit north?

Any thoughts that you have on the comparisons between the areas would be very helpful as Tampa is so large that it gets confusing to know where to open the shop. We are flying down next week to find a storefront and sign a lease, so any thoughts we get from this post are very helpful.

Thanks and look up "The Tampa Angler" in November if you need anything in the world of fishing tackle and clothing.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 08:14 AM

13,566 posts, read 23,058,481 times
WoW.. tough question.

There is a lot of traffic on Hillsborough and Memorial but whether or not it would be a good spot for a pro fishing shop I am not so sure. Hillsborough goes to Dunedin and you aren't too far from the Courtney Campbell causeway which goes to Clearwater. There is a dry dock marina in Dunedin. There is a small boat repair on Rocky Creek off of Hillsborough but you don't have any marinas nearby. It is a good 30 minutes to get to TnC from some parts S. Tampa.

S. Tampa has the bay for fishing and is near major roadways to get to/from Pinellas county. The friendship bridge is full of fisherman, plus you have several fishing piers in the area. There are marinas off of Gandy, Davis Island and Bayshore too.

I guess the question is how far will fisherman go to a Pro shop? I know my LH would go pretty far to get parts for our sailboat.

Good Luck

Post link not copyrighted material

Old 08-30-2008, 09:02 AM

79 posts, read 160,364 times
Smile Fly fishing

Why would you not want to have it closer to the water? Yes the areas you have chosen are high traffic areas, but it is also an area too confusing and too stressful for the target shopper of fly fishing. The are is not real close to the water, and most people avoid that are if not commuting to and from work. I also live in Tarpon and do you not think that area would be a better place? Do you not think it would appeal more to residents of that area. There is less traffic for the older generations that enjoy fly fishing and the sponge docks is a very large tourist area that will also bring you shoppers from all over.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:43 AM
BGF

57 posts, read 151,888 times
Have you thought about getting a list broker to get you a list of consumers who enjoy fishing? InfoUSA also can give you a list of consumers who enjoy certain hobbies.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:41 AM

3 posts, read 5,253 times
The reason we need to be in Hillsborough county is because of protected territories. See...there currently are NO dealers in Tampa for any of the key lines which we carry. Orvis and these other companies need a dealer in Tampa to service that territory. Also, please keep in mind that there are many visitors and fishermen who travel to Tampa for various reasons and thus we need to be within a reasonable drive to Tampa.

So, we can't be west of Race Track Road as that turns into Oldsmar and we don't want to be east of the Veteran's because of traffic. So, we are down to the areas we spoke about. I guess the question is whether it is harder for people in south Tampa to drive north to us or for people in the northern areas to drive to south Tampa.

Thanks for all the great posts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay