Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 08:44 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,063,783 times

Advertisements

Unless you can live in either city without a job, that should be your first priority. St. Pete and Tampa both have assisted living facilities along with many other areas in FL. Pay is another factor to consider as pay in FL is going to be much less than in WA.

Tampa has a lot of activities especially during spring, fall and winter. Music festivals, art shows, hockey, football, baseball and boating, just to name a few.
There are tourist and snowbirds during the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 09:15 AM

40 posts, read 94,777 times
Thanks so much, After much research - I would like the Dunedin area or St Pete ( I know one is North, one is South)

I guess once I get there (Sept 21st) I'll concentrate on finding employment in the Tampa area and then consider the living area. Do you think I could do a commute from So Orlando to Tampa until I find a place to live, or is that unreasonable?

I am a big walker so wherever I decide to live there must be trails, or a lake or something for me to walk around. Having beaches close by is also pretty high on my list.

Thanks again for you help, if anyone else has suggestions feel free to add them

Old 09-02-2008, 07:37 AM

101 posts, read 426,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dst828 View Post
dcabrer1: What is there to do in the Tampa area? I know the beaches but is there more....

I have been really looking at Dunedin & Palm Harbor or St Pete - any recommendations?
Having lived here 6 years now, DO NOT RECOMMEND THE AREA........especially ST PETE

St pete sucks.......high crime, HOT, traffic, lots of low income and trailers.

Tampa is not much better.

Not a good place to live.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:06 AM

Fish: I have been to Florida lots of times (I have family there) and as a kid spent a lot of time in St Pete. It has been years since I have been to St Pete but can not imagine it is as bad as you are saying.

The heat can not be controlled, Traffic is all relevant, people need to live in homes so trailers are better than under a bridge - crime is the only thing that would affect me!

Can you be a bit more specific as to why you hate it? Where did you move from, what are you comparing it to?

Old 09-03-2008, 12:24 PM

41 posts, read 203,113 times
Hi DST828,

I currently live outside Boston, but had lived in Orlando for 15 years (and mostly liked it - but moved back North for family reasons) - so I wanted to offer my 2 cents....
The areas of Orlando that I like are all North of the city - I loved Longwood, Lake Mary and Winter Park are also nice. For a single person I would recommend Altamonte Springs. (This may not matter if you definately decide on Tampa - but it can very good to move where you have family)...
As for commuting between the two cities - that would be like commuting between Boston and Worcester everyday - with worse traffic in Florida than Boston - so I wouldn't do it.
I'm looking at the Tampa area myself as I can't take these winters and want to be near the West Coast.
Good Luck either way!

Old 09-03-2008, 12:31 PM

Lives 4 The Water:

Thanks for the info - Before I made my decision to go to Florida, I was going to go back to the Boston area. I knew that I wanted to be back On the East but not sure I could handle the cold anymore; so Florida won.

I looked at the Altamonte Springs & Winter Park areas and if I get a job in the Orlando area; I believe I will rent somewhere in one of those areas, until I find a home.

I am thinking of Tampa for the simple fact of the water, being in Seattle has me spoiled with beaches (not for laying out) and all the water sports that come with. Not to mention Tampa looks like a very nice city.

I would only do the commute for a few weeks/month while I look for a rental once I secured employment. The commute will not be fun but that is motivation for finding an apartment or rental house

I know you have been gone from Orlando for a bit but how is the job market, in Orlando or Tampa. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks for your input, I hope you end up back in the area as well.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:28 PM

48 posts, read 188,231 times
Default Tampa is cooler

Hi,
We have spent a lot of time in the Tampa area, mostly near Clearwater. A big advantage, I think, is that breezes from the Gulf make that area much more comfortable than Orlando. During a visit in July we wished we had brought sweaters out with us on several evenings. The beach bars in Clearwater don't have air conditioning, and they are rarely uncomfortable.

We like the town of Dunedin, where housing prices are still falling. Concerns include flood insurance in areas very close to the Gulf, but there are zones in the town that do not require flood insurance. Dunedin, like most towns along the Gulf, has outstanding recreation facilities --- pool complexes, bike trails, tennis, beach pavilions, and more. Generally these amenities are free or very inexpensive.

Bellair, which is right next to Dunedin, is beautiful. So are parts of Seminole, which is just down the coast and near many beautiful beaches.

Good luck with your search!!

Old 09-04-2008, 12:03 AM

Profilewriter: Thanks so much, I am excited to explore Dunedin and now Bellair. Do you know is that North or South of Dunedin?

Both areas seem to have what I like, thanks so much for your input

Old 09-05-2008, 10:19 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,680,593 times
I would actually prefer to live in Orlando. Granted it's a tourist area, it's jam packed with things to do and LOADS of Outlet Malls. I wouldn't say it's anymore congested there than here, but I believe that area is growing more quickly than here.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:44 PM

37 posts, read 123,703 times
Having lived in both cities, I prefer Tampa. A tiny bit better job market (not saying much) and the beach coupled with a short drive to O-Town for the kids is a pretty sweet deal. That is, if you don't starve to death first.

I now live in Dallas after 10 years in FL. I really miss FL and would move back in a heartbeat if I thought I could find stable work. I know you cant have everything, but a job is pretty darn important!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay