Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 01:40 PM

8 posts, read 34,810 times

Advertisements

I know this may sound funny, but my question is actually serious. How bad does the hurricane season effect the Tampa area? I live in Ohio and I am about 90% sure that my bestfriend and I are going to relocate there July 08'. However, i am not sure how bad it gets on an average w/ the hurricane season. I am not foolhardy, i know that there may be no safe place in Florida(hurricane wise) but I still think it's safer than California(which was my first option). I figure that at least in Florida, I'm actually watching the hurricane come across the atlantic, but with a earthquake there is no warning.

p.s. We will probalbly reside within the vicinity of the 33614 area codes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2007, 03:29 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Sorry, there just is no crystal ball to predict where or if one will occur. I grew up in Tampa, as a child experienced one bad one (Donna) in the area. For years there was not much at all, but we are in an active season now, and in 2004 Hurricane Charley was originally headed for Tampa Bay area, instead went to Northport and Port Charlotte I believe. We had 4 bad ones that year, some as big as the whole state. I was very, very scared when I thought Charley would hit Tampa - I thought life as I knew it might come to an end.

Each year now it's a crap shoot, but as you say at least with hurricanes you get some warning - just make preparations to evacacuate and have emergency supplies on hand.

Old 02-05-2007, 03:34 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,190,936 times
When, not "if", Tampa gets hit, it will get hit hard. Tampa is right on the bay which stays pretty warm and if the conditions are right, can feed a hurricane while it is completely over the City of Tampa. Parts of St. Pete Beachs have been washed away during winter storms. If a Hurricane hits St. Pete, or Tampa Bay, you won't want to be anywhere within 150 miles of that area.

Old 02-05-2007, 04:18 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,378,770 times
YEp, I agree its a matter of When....but at least there is ample warningd for a hurricane..you may be more prone to getting struck by lightning(cant predict that, but at least you can take shelter during a thunderstorm),a nd wheterh your near the coast or as far inland as Orlando..it doenst matter if a hurricane comes ditrectly in your path..I can say that almost 20 years in Tampa, and the most of seen is a lot of windy rainy days with minimal effects from hurricanes coming close by Tampa.

Old 02-10-2007, 03:09 PM

198 posts, read 959,599 times
In the realm of things in florida, the Tampa area has been really lucky. Donna in 64' was the closet to hit tampa recently(it actually made land fall just south of tampa), and we have not had a direct hit since october 1921. To say we are overdue is an understatement. But to say when we will get another direct hit is anyone's guess. I dont remember the source, but until Katrina hit NO, we were the 2nd most overdue city in the country to be hit, now we are #1

Old 02-10-2007, 09:54 PM

30 posts, read 212,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
.I can say that almost 20 years in Tampa, and the most of seen is a lot of windy rainy days with minimal effects from hurricanes coming close by Tampa.
I think that "minimal effects" is a matter of opinion. In my opinion, although we have not seen direct hit, we have definately seen some severe weather. Obviously we have been very lucky and have not experienced anything near what some people have, but excluding this past year (2006), the previous two hurricane seasons have had some pretty close calls. And just because it doesn't hit here doesn't mean we don't have tropical storm and hurricane force winds and rain. I can remember at least 3-4 hurricanes in just the past few years that gave the Tampa Bay area some damage without a direct hit. There were days of severe wind and rain, complete with storm surge and flooding. There were flooded streets and downed trees and power lines. Traffic lights were out, and there were thousands of people without power for a week or more. And this is when the hurricane doesn't hit here. And remember, although you have lots of warning, you don't know until the last few hours if it will actually go where they say it will. They can change direction at any time. So, when you see one coming, even if it doesn't look like it is coming this way, you still have to be prepared. That means keeping disaster supplies on hand 7 months out of the year and always being prepared to evacuate (if you are in an evacuation zone). It can be stressfull, especially knowing that we are so overdue for a direct hit.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:57 AM

30 posts, read 227,714 times
Quote:
If a Hurricane hits St. Pete, or Tampa Bay, you won't want to be anywhere within 150 miles of that area.
Do you really have to be that far inland?

Old 02-11-2007, 04:10 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004GTO View Post
Florida is only 160 miles wide at the widest points. Basically if one hits Tampa Bay, you don't want to be in the state.

Old 02-11-2007, 05:55 PM

30 posts, read 227,714 times
Quote:
Florida is only 160 miles wide at the widest points. Basically if one hits Tampa Bay, you don't want to be in the state.
That's disheartening, I really like the Tampa bay area.....

Old 02-11-2007, 05:57 PM

403 posts, read 1,580,721 times
Default No you don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004GTO View Post
The elevation is low near the coast, around 2-8 feet, but rises sharply 20-70ft. in the areas of Brandon and Lake Leto, in the southeast part of hillsborough and northeast near plant city, the elevation is near 200 ft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay