U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 05:15 PM

1 posts, read 525 times

Advertisements

hello, I have a question on the flood insurance. How much on average is it per year and do you have to buy it or is that just if you are considered in a flood zone which I would think most properties are. This is my biggest concern any help appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 05:16 AM

90 posts, read 179,674 times
Possible, summer three months stay.

I visited your nice town in FEBRUARY, I really liked it.
I'm a 34 year old male.

In the 55+ condos I understand that some require a certain percentage of the residents to be younger.

When the snow birds fly North for the summer, how empty do these condo building get?
What does a monthly rate look like during the summer?
How much does the town change during winter to summer..?

Thanks for reading

Old 03-17-2014, 05:31 AM

464 posts, read 524,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesira14 View Post
hello, I have a question on the flood insurance. How much on average is it per year and do you have to buy it or is that just if you are considered in a flood zone which I would think most properties are. This is my biggest concern any help appreciated.
It's very house-specific and a bit complicated. We just bought in Gulfport and had to learn all about it (from AZ, so it's a foreign language to us). Our home in Gulfpot is 1 1/2 blocks from water and is in flood zone AE (you can go to www.floodsmart.gov and plug in specific addresses). HOWEVER, our sellers had a flood survey and a 'good' (meaning high) flood elevation certificate, so our flood insurance is under $600 a year. Without a 'good' certificate (high enough), the flood insurance could have run a couple of thousands dollars or even tens of thousands a year (depending on the elevation).

Keep in mind that Flood Insurance (a FEMA program) is a moving political target. The Biggert-Waters Act from 2012 took away a lot of subsidized rates (for those houses without elevation certificates); recently the Senate tried to modify it; then the House had its own version just last month. A Joint bill is due to be signed by Obama (maybe it already was this weekend??); this bill delays some increases in rates; grandfathers in more properties, etc. But the bottom line is that flood insurance remains as an issue that can and probably will be revisited for both political and fiscal reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or