Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2008, 01:20 PM

2 posts, read 8,965 times

Advertisements

Hey guys! I just recently moved from upstate NY to Lutz, FL. I'm currently going to college and Im in my early 20's. I have heard lots of negative stuff about Tampa and I would like to hear some facts about this city..I mean..How safe is it to live in Tampa for a female college student? What places should I stay away from? What malls/beaches should I not go to??? HOW SAFE IS CAMPUS LODGE IN TAMPA?? I WAS LOOKING AT SOME APT'S THERE THE OTHER DAY AND KINDA LIKED THE PLACE..ANY HELPFUL ADVISE??????

YOUR HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! THANX SOOOO MUCH GUYS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 01:54 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,677,486 times
Everyone makes Tampa out to be horrible. There is crime everywhere, no matter where you go-think of all the female students who are here and nothing has happened to them. I would stay away from Suitcase City. Temple Terrace and New Tampa are nice areas. Malls are all over the place and the best beach area is Siesta Key (south of here, about 45 mins.). Here is a ratings website that you can read of residents (current and past) who have posted here: Campus Lodge Apartments Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Lutz apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com
Just always take these with a grain of salt, a lot of people only go on these review sites to complain only.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:56 PM

2 posts, read 8,965 times
How about jobs?? I've found it veryyy hard to work here!!!! Any good places to work.i mean safe/good pay??

Old 09-25-2008, 01:59 PM

Jobs are a little tough at the moment due to the economy. You may be able to find a job in the area though. You will most defiantly have a better chance of getting one here than in Lutz. It also depends on the experience you have...

Old 09-25-2008, 07:06 PM

442 posts, read 1,571,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquintana View Post
Everyone makes Tampa out to be horrible. There is crime everywhere...Just always take these with a grain of salt, a lot of people only go on these review sites to complain only.

It is obviously true that every area has it's bad parts..but I would say as far as this region goes, it's a toss up between Tampa and South St. Petersburg as to which is worse. You could not pay me to live in Tampa, honestly. That place is shi te.
Lutz might be okay, if I'm thinking correctly, that is north Tampa area? I don't know anything about it, but I never hear much about it either (good or bad).

Pretty much all of the gulf beaches are safe around the Tampa Bay.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:26 AM

There are good and bad parts to all places. There are good parts in Tampa as well as bad-as any other city or town...

Old 09-26-2008, 09:37 AM

807 posts, read 3,172,846 times
Publix Supermarkets is a great place to work and there are a couple in Lutz/Land-o-Lakes. It helps to know someone since they are flooded with applications.
They used to say on the radio: "it's 7:00 AM in the Bay Area...6:59 in Lutz" hehehe
It's a great time of year to aquaint yourself with the area.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:17 PM

11 posts, read 23,493 times
I am 21 years old and have grown up in Tampa(actually Lutz). It really is a great place to live. Of course there are bad areas, but there are lots of nice areas. Lutz is a very fun little town- makes a small town feel while still feeling like Tampa. There are some nice apartments just North of Lutz (Collier The Lakes). They are in Land O Lakes and are very nice and would be a short commute up I75 to USF. This is a very safe area. There are some not so safe areas right around USF campus, but downtown is fun and there is a lot going on North of Tampa now too. Wiregrass mall (in Wesley Chapel) is very neat and has a couple good bars and shopping. Most young people still head downtown to Soho or chanelside to go the bars. This is a really fun area- lots of resturaunts and a great SAFE tampa area.What field are you into? What is your work experience? Publix is a great place to work. Also check out CVS. Good luck- I hope you enjoy it all.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:31 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,698,498 times
Jobs? What is it that you do or want to do? I'll tell you, even in this stinky economy, people are still eating out like there's no tomorrow. Try waiting tables or bartending. I think most retail stores are cutting hours or there's a freeze on hiring. I always ask workers in stores how business is doing and are they hiring and I never get a good response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay