Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 04:55 PM

61 posts, read 116,467 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to St Petersburg FL next summer and I am trying to scout out neighborhoods that have good schools that will be close to my work. I will be working over on 4th Street north between 11th and 12th avenue. I was looking at schools and areas to live and was wondering if anyone can tell us what they think of shore acres elementary and the surounding neighborhoods to buy a house and also if anyone can recommend any areas within 15 minutes to my work other than the shore acres area. My son will be 5 and my daughter will be 3 and it looks like unless we pay for private school I will have to have them at two separate locations for a good year until my daughter is in preschool or kindergarten. I saw the R club was close to shore acres elementary school so it looked to be like my ideal location. Ideal to us is a location that is close to my work, safe, family friendly, and clean, I also would love to be close to a park or bike trail. I haven't exactly narrowed our price range yet since my husband will graduate next year to be an electrical engineer with a mechanical minor and Im not sure what his salary will for sure be. I alone can afford an 1800.00 dollar mortgage so his will add to that. I dont think his starting wage will be the norm since he has been around for longer than the other kids in school with military experience and loads of technician experience so its hard to narrow down what it may be. well, anyhow, thank you for helping me scout for our new neighborhood! I really appreciate it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 06:22 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,599,672 times
I can't speak to the Pinellas County schools personally. I do know that Shore Acres is on the local news regularly. Every time we have a storm, it floods (do a google search and read local news sources). Please check into that so you're not caught off guard with very high homeowner's insurance premiums.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:30 PM

hmmm I guess thats not a great place to live than. Thank you TAMPAKAREN! Its so hard searching for a good neighborhood from far away. If anyone has any ideas for areas to consider close to my future work I would love to hear from you!

Old 10-01-2008, 06:40 PM

You already said it might work for you, but you should definitely check into the flooding issue. Maybe someone else who lives there will see your post and give you their advice. Good luck!

Old 10-01-2008, 07:26 PM

It definitley won't work if it floods all the time but thank you! Im looking towards clearwater tonight. We just want a nice neighborhood with good schools and there was a bad schools forum in city-data for Tampa that was pretty scary to read as far as schools are concerned. It has me a little on edge about areas to research.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:03 AM

Hmm, Im reading mixed reviews on clearwater too. I'll keep on looking.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:51 AM

47 posts, read 155,723 times
I am a teacher in Washington state, but I taught in Palm harbor Florida ( about 20 miles north of St Pete ) and have mixed feelings about schools everywhere. I do not know if I beleive that there are better schools than others. People will show you test score, but those do not take into consideration the students that attend the school. It is the students that you need to research. Teachers are teachers for the most part. They are there because they want to be not for the pay or the glory It is the responsibilty of the parent to build upon what they are doing in the classroom at home. It sounds to me like you are really involved in what your kids are doing and are going to be doing. Finding a good neighborhood that you feel safe in , and that you feel good about who your children wil be hanging around with is the quest. Good luck

Old 10-02-2008, 04:45 PM

I agree whole heartedly, and thank you for your response! I am just looking for THAT neighborhood that would be good for us to make our new home.

Can anyone suggest a neighborhood for me to look into?

Old 10-02-2008, 06:54 PM

You can try Crescent Lake (near to your work) and Bardmoor (near the Pinellas Trail, but may be too far from work). You will need to do the research as I pulled these from a MLS area search between $200K and 300K. If I calculated correctly, that would put you around $1800 (mol) monthly.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:58 AM

428 posts, read 1,472,460 times
West ST. Pete- Jungle area, Live Oaks, Azalea, etc. Tons of family stuff to do- lots of parks, rec areas, close to beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay