Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2007, 06:01 PM

30 posts, read 227,401 times

Advertisements

Just curious, when newer homes are built what criteria has to be met for hurricanes? Do the roofs and windows have to meet some sort of safety standard?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 08:31 PM

73 posts, read 442,602 times
i talk to a lady from fort myers who said her house was on an island an went through the eye cat. 4 in 2005 or 2004 (don't remember). SHe said her house was up to hurricane code an she lost nothing excepts little pieces of shigles here and there. SHe also has hurricane shutter.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:42 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,920,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004GTO View Post
Just curious, when newer homes are built what criteria has to be met for hurricanes? Do the roofs and windows have to meet some sort of safety standard?

Thanks.
The Uniform Building Code is dated 1997 and hasn't been updated much. But local ordinances and codes are a different story.

The UBC says that in your part of the country, your house has to meet these specs. But local code will add on to that and say, in addition to UBC, you must have the following.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:51 AM

25 posts, read 84,520 times
Essentially, newer is better. New construction is governed by the 2004 FBC/FRC. Depending on your location, you are required to meet certain minimums that, yes, do affect the widows and roof.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:56 AM

30 posts, read 227,401 times
Thanks for the info!

Old 07-10-2007, 12:05 PM

10 posts, read 51,535 times
I am looking for info on reputable home builders in the Tampa/ St.Pete area. I have seen a site on Homes by Point but I haven't ever heard anything about them. Any comments or suggestions or a redirection to another thread regarding this topic greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:39 PM

799 posts, read 3,682,388 times
I am curious if new homes really are better since they are just thrown up these days. It seems alot of older homes tolerate severe weather better. I live in a new home that I had built and the walls are like paper, really, if someone sneezes outside, I think we would hear it in here. July 4th sounded like the fireworks were going off in our home. My last home was built in 1978 and went through hurricane Rita and a few various storms with minor damage.
I think when I get to florida, I would like an older home but obviously
I would like it to be up code...

Old 07-13-2007, 10:13 AM

33 posts, read 150,691 times
Every county is different, I know this because for over a year I been searching all over florida and looking at so many different builders. In Punta Gorda I saw some tremendous hurricane built new homes, I was amazed at the things they pointed out to me, then I looked at same builders home in the Ruskin area and they didnt have the shutters, or the venting in the garage foundation, but the builder told me each area has different building codes, they are not the same all over florida. Some builders show you shutters and you feel safer, but they might have used regular glass, where another builder has used 120mph wind resistant glass and no shutters, so it all depends on what that area has stipulated for the building codes. I find it all so confusing and unless it has gone through a hurricane, will we ever really know. My house now once has a torn screen on my pool cage and a downed tree in my yard but nothing,not one shingle missing on my home and the next development behind me here half the roofs wore blue tarp for almost a year after wilma was in the region. We have not been hit dead on, just the swing of the winds twice from charley and wilma. Now my home was built in 2000 so I dont know what the standards were then either.
One person selling shutters swears they are the most effective and another person selling wind resistant glass says theirs are more effective, hard to say. Though I do have to say my neighbors hurrincane shutter on his patia lost some panels and sent some of his furniture to and fro and we have no shutters and our patio was fine. A hurricane is fickle, you never know what it will hit, miss or just skim across someones property to let them know it was there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay