Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 11:07 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,244,035 times

Advertisements

Regarding rent, I couldn't afford to move to South Tampa, but decided on Tampa Palms instead. I just signed a lease for a really nice 2 bedroom for $1000 (plus 2 months free rent). So, the rent can be less than $800-1000 for a 1 bedroom depending on neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 01:07 AM

13 posts, read 63,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookingforsunshine View Post
Hi there. I am a 30 year old, single woman thinking about moving to Tampa in the next 6 months. The main reason that I want to move to Florida is because of the sunshine. I live in Ohio and have been here all of my life. Although, I really don't have any other complaints besides the weather, I think I just need a change of scenery. I have always wanted to live close to the beach and can't get enough sunshine. I am sick of the gloomy weather here in Ohio. The cold is really starting to get me down. I know that in Florida, the summers are extremely hot and humid and there are lots of bugs. I am aware that the hurricanes are not anything to take lightly. I know that the traffic is bad, but it can be where I live too. I have been to Tampa numerous times and I have a very good friend that lives there as well.

My questions to you guys are:
1). Where would be a good neighborhood for me to move to? I am not a huge partier, but would like to be near some action. I like to go out to bars on occassion and like to go to nice restaurants. I would like to be at least 30 - 45 minutes away from a beach. I don't have a job yet, so not sure about my commute as of right now. I will be living alone, so I would want to feel safe. I would most likely rent at first to see how I like it. I would like to spend no more than $850/month for rent. I do have two small dogs.
2). How is the single life in Tampa? Is it hard to meet new people? I am concerned on moving there and not being able to meet new friends.
3). Anyone moved to Florida from up North and regretted it? If so, why?

Thanks in advance for your help. I am sure I will have more questions the closer it comes to me making a decision. I appreciate your help in the meantime.
If your mildly attractive female coming to tampa area, you'll have no problem finding work.. tons of it as long as you want to work...

Night life LOL just about non stop!!!...
You'll soon be keeping one of the local bar stools warm in no time..

I have seen it ruin some really nice people,,who i don't know any longer.

Bar scene is ok if you know how to handle it. If your one of those people who just has to have 20 people feeding you attention
you'll fall right into the bar scene here....especially bubly female and if they're buying you drinks ,, Many women do not know they have been druged also,,
Some A-Hole drops some stuff in your drink the next thing you know you wake up at home who knows what he did or they?
come to find out your a drug addict in less than 6 months..
I know a person this happened to, she is totally totally shot..

F --n aZZ HOLE old perverted men watch out for them,
they love to dazel you with big wads and drinks, small jewelry gifts, till the time is right then BAM..
they drug you,,,
you are coherent but,, can't remember a thing the night before...

yes you can drive,, you can talk, walk, everything but, remember..

you'll know your a drug addict and will be doing who knows what for them to survive...

Your young,,, becareful !!!!!!!!!! this can happen anyplace in the world, just seems to happen here more offten.....

many groups for networking in florida good clean people with out the presures of the bar scene.. I would stay out of the bars at all costs... skive
Meet new people...???? choose wisely... This may be your thing?

That's okay too!! sure, they will be all new till, they all tried to take you round the block once..

Big city life here, lots of con artists people, but good folk too!!

I think you should rethink your move Quite possibly go look further south Tierra Verde,,,you'll be on an island close to one of the nicest parks in FLORIDA FT DESOTO PARK..for that matter you could rent a camper for the next 6 months and live there in the park...??? I would, really nice...
LAID BACK and close to south st pete... Lots of condos for sale and rent,
not sure about $850 rent but, like I said...

Mildly attractive you'll have no problem finding work, stay single as long as you can ,don't have any kids,,, you'll be fine...

If you going to tort with finding the love of your life in the night life here, keep dreaming... it's just a huge meat market after 9pm..

Hey hate to be so up front, you need to hear this, not what you want to hear..
You will need some form of transportation for everything,

Taxes sky high here, so land lords will have no choice but to raise the rent to keep themselves out of the red , insurance is off the chain also.
basically, If your single? go as far south as you can, don't stop in Tampa ... Go get a job, something for now and a nice condo just for you... you'll be fine.. have a look on craigslist.org
get an idea what you may be able to do and get paid..

FLORIDA??? WHY?
There are other warm sunny places on this earth!! and you're single? hello ???

Do you have a goal? cause it may or may not be attainable here?

There are lots of good stuff here in florida to do and see.. tons of stuff to do most you need money for some you just need transportation and gas.. alot can be had for free, we have beautiful beaches, parks , historic sites, landmarks, there is somewhat of a culture in every town along the coast, good schools for continuing your education if you wish. OH! AND WALMART!! YEAH THEY'RE HERE TOO!!!
lots of people here, finding that exact place you want to be in florida???

have relatives in Bradenton siesta key/ sarasota area, fort myers, miami, port st lucy, naples, Been to all,, don't really think they have it better than anyone else,
what they have is allot of traffic...

I have a slew of Real estate agents in the family throughout the Tampa Bay area... stay safe............never take your eye off the drink, if you have to dump it or don't drink it...I'm serious I can't say enough as soon as they hear you just moved here,, Watch it,,, just watch it...

Old 06-27-2007, 04:36 PM

89 posts, read 268,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RepoMan View Post
If your mildly attractive female coming to tampa area, you'll have no problem finding work.. tons of it as long as you want to work...

Night life LOL just about non stop!!!...
You'll soon be keeping one of the local bar stools warm in no time..

I have seen it ruin some really nice people,,who i don't know any longer.

Bar scene is ok if you know how to handle it. If your one of those people who just has to have 20 people feeding you attention
you'll fall right into the bar scene here....especially bubly female and if they're buying you drinks ,, Many women do not know they have been druged also,,
Some A-Hole drops some stuff in your drink the next thing you know you wake up at home who knows what he did or they?
come to find out your a drug addict in less than 6 months..
I know a person this happened to, she is totally totally shot..

F --n aZZ HOLE old perverted men watch out for them,
they love to dazel you with big wads and drinks, small jewelry gifts, till the time is right then BAM..
they drug you,,,
you are coherent but,, can't remember a thing the night before...

yes you can drive,, you can talk, walk, everything but, remember..

you'll know your a drug addict and will be doing who knows what for them to survive...

Your young,,, becareful !!!!!!!!!! this can happen anyplace in the world, just seems to happen here more offten.....

many groups for networking in florida good clean people with out the presures of the bar scene.. I would stay out of the bars at all costs... skive
Meet new people...???? choose wisely... This may be your thing?

That's okay too!! sure, they will be all new till, they all tried to take you round the block once..

Big city life here, lots of con artists people, but good folk too!!

I think you should rethink your move Quite possibly go look further south Tierra Verde,,,you'll be on an island close to one of the nicest parks in FLORIDA FT DESOTO PARK..for that matter you could rent a camper for the next 6 months and live there in the park...??? I would, really nice...
LAID BACK and close to south st pete... Lots of condos for sale and rent,
not sure about $850 rent but, like I said...

Mildly attractive you'll have no problem finding work, stay single as long as you can ,don't have any kids,,, you'll be fine...

If you going to tort with finding the love of your life in the night life here, keep dreaming... it's just a huge meat market after 9pm..

Hey hate to be so up front, you need to hear this, not what you want to hear..
You will need some form of transportation for everything,

Taxes sky high here, so land lords will have no choice but to raise the rent to keep themselves out of the red , insurance is off the chain also.
basically, If your single? go as far south as you can, don't stop in Tampa ... Go get a job, something for now and a nice condo just for you... you'll be fine.. have a look on craigslist.org
get an idea what you may be able to do and get paid..

FLORIDA??? WHY?
There are other warm sunny places on this earth!! and you're single? hello ???

Do you have a goal? cause it may or may not be attainable here?

There are lots of good stuff here in florida to do and see.. tons of stuff to do most you need money for some you just need transportation and gas.. alot can be had for free, we have beautiful beaches, parks , historic sites, landmarks, there is somewhat of a culture in every town along the coast, good schools for continuing your education if you wish. OH! AND WALMART!! YEAH THEY'RE HERE TOO!!!
lots of people here, finding that exact place you want to be in florida???

have relatives in Bradenton siesta key/ sarasota area, fort myers, miami, port st lucy, naples, Been to all,, don't really think they have it better than anyone else,
what they have is allot of traffic...

I have a slew of Real estate agents in the family throughout the Tampa Bay area... stay safe............never take your eye off the drink, if you have to dump it or don't drink it...I'm serious I can't say enough as soon as they hear you just moved here,, Watch it,,, just watch it...
Hmm, I was just looking into the Bradenton area....so close to Tampa! After reading this, makes me think twice!

Old 07-03-2007, 10:40 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,610,480 times
You might also consider the NE part of St. Petersburg. You can come into downtown via the Gandy Bridge/crosstown, or to Brandon area the same way, and you'd be going against traffic. If you work in downtown Tampa, the Pinellas Transit (St Pete) has very good express bus service from St Pete to Tampa (the Tampa transit system stinks).

Many of the apartment complexes were converted to condos in the past 12-18 months, so a good place to find individual rentals of these units is craigslist (and realtor.com). Davis Island has surprisingly reasonable rental prices, but many of the units there will not allow dogs. Other parts of the bay are are pretty pet friendly.

Also check into Safety Harbor and Carrollwood. They aren't hot spots for entertainment, but they are centrally located and fairly safe. Downtown Safety Harbor is pretty cool, and it's on the bay.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:04 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,964,108 times
dont let posters make u believe this is some huge party town...its not. its a wanna be south beach but its not even close. places like south florida, nyc, vegas, atlanta, dallas, SF, chicago have tons more nightlife and trouble to get into...its so low key, laid back and not at all a fast paced nightlife compared to other cities in the US that ive partied or lived in....tampa is not a nightlife mecca by any means so dont let others make u think its south beach or something, not even remotely close.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:05 AM

7 posts, read 23,233 times
Red face bonnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookingforsunshine View Post
Hi there. I am a 30 year old, single woman thinking about moving to Tampa in the next 6 months. The main reason that I want to move to Florida is because of the sunshine. I live in Ohio and have been here all of my life. Although, I really don't have any other complaints besides the weather, I think I just need a change of scenery. I have always wanted to live close to the beach and can't get enough sunshine. I am sick of the gloomy weather here in Ohio. The cold is really starting to get me down. I know that in Florida, the summers are extremely hot and humid and there are lots of bugs. I am aware that the hurricanes are not anything to take lightly. I know that the traffic is bad, but it can be where I live too. I have been to Tampa numerous times and I have a very good friend that lives there as well.

My questions to you guys are:
1). Where would be a good neighborhood for me to move to? I am not a huge partier, but would like to be near some action. I like to go out to bars on occassion and like to go to nice restaurants. I would like to be at least 30 - 45 minutes away from a beach. I don't have a job yet, so not sure about my commute as of right now. I will be living alone, so I would want to feel safe. I would most likely rent at first to see how I like it. I would like to spend no more than $850/month for rent. I do have two small dogs.
2). How is the single life in Tampa? Is it hard to meet new people? I am concerned on moving there and not being able to meet new friends.
3). Anyone moved to Florida from up North and regretted it? If so, why?

Thanks in advance for your help. I am sure I will have more questions the closer it comes to me making a decision. I appreciate your help in the meantime.
Hi I have lived in tampa for years and am still looking for the nightlife. There is some, but nothing like NYC so if you are a low key kinda person you will like it. Ybor, Channelside, NewTampa, S. Tampa, St. Pete and some in Clearwater. Mostly bars, lotsa stripe joints though. Tampa is #1 in nation for stripe joints. I live in New Tampa and when I want to go out for the night which ends at about 3:a.m. I go to either Ybor or Channelside, however in my immediate neighborhood we have many sports bars if I just want to hang out without the music.

I would suggest that before you move into a location you consider a roommate deal for a short time, to give you a chance to meet people get the feel for the areas, explore and than commit to a locaiton. Leases here run for 7 month minimum and they are not very reasonable on breaking them so think it over. You can do month to month but that can get pretty costly and at 850 a month you could wind up in a bad area. Stay clear of the USF area as a possible live in area, also some parts of Temple Terrace. S Tampa is nice and so is N Tampa. S. Tampa has the trendy stores, bars and night life, N Tampa has the yuppies, new bars, new trendy stores, new malls everything is new cause it use to be cow country that turned city. I am with other writer do not let anyone let you think that this is a party town, when I moved here and went out looking for pizza at midnight I went hungry. Some places now stay open late, "1:00 a.m." if that is late to you, you will like it, if however, late is 2+ like it was for me, than you may be miserable.

good luck

Old 07-05-2007, 07:33 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,376,422 times
Herer is some great info for young professionals considering the Tampa bay area:

Welcome To Creative Loafing
tampabay.com | Know it now | St. Petersburg Times and tbt* (TBT section)
Tampa Bay -- Restaurants, Events, Entertainment, Concerts, Tickets, Movies, Hotels & Weather - AOL City Guide (broken link)
www.ermergetampa.com (broken link)
CreativeTampaBay.com

Tampa Bay is by no means NYC, Chicago, Miami, Atlanta..and I hope it never gets that way...I always say Tampa has the amenities of those larger cities, but on a MUCH smaller scale. And for any kind of late night dining(pizza), you have to go where the people are late at night(Hyde Park/SOHO, Channelside, Ybor City, downtown St. Pete)

Old 12-20-2010, 02:11 PM

2 posts, read 3,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alhdvm View Post
Hi. I will also be moving to the Tampa area this coming July. I am single, 36, female. I have already accepted a job (I am a veterinarian) in Brandon which is about 20 miles east of downtown Tampa. I've heard the more hip, all-inclusive type areas are Hyde Park and SoHo. I may try to look there for housing. I lived in the Tampa area briefly during my internship but I didn't have much free time to explore.

I'm not sure about the single life. I have researched some and will let you know if I find anything good. I am in the same boat and I hope I will be able to meet some new people too.

Good luck!
Hi!

I too will be moving to the Tampa, St. Pete, Clearwater area sometime in late June - late July. I am also a single 43yr old. I am just now starting my search for employment in the area and am hoping to meet single people my age as well. I was born and raised in South Florida and then lived for about 10 years in Central Florida. That was about 20 years ago though and alot has changed. I am also very interested in a safe area that is not loaded with bars and clubs. I prefer closer to the beach. Any suggestions??

Old 12-20-2010, 11:17 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsi001 View Post
I live in Spring Hill which is located about 30 miles North of Tampa. My wife and I always travel to the Tampa area. Almost every weekend. There's lots to do and to go around here. It's close enough and far enough away. I moved here 10 years ago and my family has enjoyed it. We miss the snow during the christmas season, but that feeling goes away fast when we hear about the cold weather and snow up north. We have 3 children; 17, 23 and 26. The 23 and 26 year olds go to Tampa all the time for the night life. Ebor is a hot area for partying. Clearwater beach is another hot area. If partying isn't what you like to do, then there's a lot of other activities going on here.
Now for the hurricanes. We've gone through the worst ones in the past few years, but just an FYI; the Tampa area hasn't been hit by a serious hurricane in over 22 years. I've been through these and they're just as bad as a bad storm up north. By the way, I'm from the Syracuse/Utica NY area. I'm also building homes and duplexes here in Tampa. The relestate market has flattened out here butit won't last long. Jobs are abundant. Major corporations are moving to the Tampa bay area. Just my 2 cents worth. If you need help in finding somewhere to go, I'm sure my daughter would show you around. She's a student at St. Leo University working on her masters in Psychology. But she also works at Hooters, so she knows everything that's going on around this area.
Spring Hill is more like 45 miles north of Tampa and not a place a 30yr old single woman interested in moving to the Tampa Bay area would enjoy.

And "jobs are abundant", the unemployment rate just jumped up again. The OP needs to line up a job before coming or have extensive savings to live off of.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:56 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,296,782 times
Seain Dublin is right, and it is actually even longer check this out:

Driving Directions from Tampa, Florida to Spring Hill, Florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay