Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2008, 07:31 AM

2 posts, read 7,334 times

Advertisements

We live in Pensacola. We have 2 kids under the age of 4. I don't like the private schools. Also, P'cola is going nowhere in terms of development. We are thinking of moving either to Austin or Tampa. Our 2 important things are:
i. Low crime rate
ii. Good/great private schools - we want (atleast hope) to send them to ivyleague colleges.
iii. Family oriented neighbourhood
iv.diversified place

Which city is better?

Comments/opinions will be appreciated please....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 12:20 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,364,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandinagar1970 View Post
We live in Pensacola. We have 2 kids under the age of 4. I don't like the private schools. Also, P'cola is going nowhere in terms of development. We are thinking of moving either to Austin or Tampa. Our 2 important things are:
i. Low crime rate
ii. Good/great private schools - we want (atleast hope) to send them to ivyleague colleges.
iii. Family oriented neighbourhood
iv.diversified place

Which city is better?

Comments/opinions will be appreciated please....
I hate to be vague, but im sure you will find each of your important things you list in either city. Have you visited either city yet?

Old 11-09-2008, 03:02 PM

536 posts, read 1,535,015 times
Austin would be a good choice. I've lived in Austin for 20 years and moved to Wichita, KS 3 years ago. Word to the wise, it's expensive to live in Austin now..which is why I moved out. I have a friend who moved from Pensacola to Austin and likes it there.

Austin has no such thing as gangbangers. Too expensive for them to live in Austin anymore. The town does have a low crime rate compared to San Antonio or Dallas.

As for family, north Austin would do you well. If you have money, then West Austin near Lake Travis or Lakeway would be good. As for private schools...no need, really. I had a friend who yanked his son from an elite private school and put him in public school because of high rates of drug use/sexuality. Public schools are VERY good as a general rule. If you prefer a religious private school..there are a few. I wouldn't know of what their names are.

As for diversity, hate to say this but Austin is pretty much high percent white. African Americans and hispanics tend to live in East Austin/South Austin where prices are much cheaper.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:10 AM

11 posts, read 31,163 times
I live in the Tampa area, and have Family in the Austin area. We are both happy with our respective areas and always trying to get the other side to move My recommendation is that you need to visit both area's and arrange for a local Realtor to give you a tour of the area. What pushed me over the edge for Tampa is warmer winters, cooler (not much cooler) summers and being near water. Austin does have a lake, but it is a small one, and I have always lived near "big" water. I have lived here since 2000 and love it. Tampa meets all your needs, but I am not sure about the private schools as my kids attend public schools. I'm not excited with the schools, but that's the case anywhere I've looked. BTW I moved here after traveling for a living and having been to all but 5 states, and I picked here when I could have lived anywhere with my last job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: