Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 08:41 PM

53 posts, read 259,520 times

Advertisements

I did come from a state with income tax, so I understand. Taxes must be taken from several sources to keep the cost of living down. Keep a low state income tax, low property tax rate, low sales tax (yes, 7% is lower than a majority of the country), and tax tourism at a higher rate as tourism places strains on our roads and other services, and will continue to come as long as Florida stays 70 in January We need them, and they need a warm place to stay, so up that bed tax or rental car tax and lower seasonal residents property taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 08:56 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,864,315 times
Yes, 7% is low. Where I live the sales tax is 8.75-9%, we do have a state income tax and real estate taxes. We pay additional tax on liquor, gasoline and cigarettes (vice taxes). The state income tax isn't bad. For instance, on a $1500 pay check, the state takes $41.00. Real estate is different for each county but public schools are subsidized by them so they're pretty high.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:30 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
I used to be a bleeding heart Liberal. Keep this in mind when you read my comment below.

There has to be something better to resolve the problem than a state income tax. I agree that once it's imposed on us, it will open up a giant opportunity for lawmakers to abuse it. The entire federal income tax system is so corrupt that the last thing we need is a state tax.

I know I'm going off on a tangent, because this is a federal matter, but I see people all around me getting welfare or disabilty checks while they go to the beach or sit around and drink beer all day. Just yesterday I was mentioning how expensive health insurance is to a neighbor and her response was "Why do you pay for health insurance? I don't pay anything at all if I go the the Emergency Room?" My other neighbors also didn't understand because they get Medicaid. I just shut up since they haven't got a clue most people don't get free food and free medical care & prescription drugs. It makes me wonder why I work my butt off to make a living. If these were needy families, I wouldn't be writing this at all. I believe strongly in helping the disabled and victims of disasters and other unfortunate circumstances.

So why mention it at all? Because there will always be people who think the government should take care of them with our tax dollars, and from what I can see, they seem to know how to beat the system. A state tax might end up in the same pockets - just different programs. Thanks for letting me vent.

Old 08-31-2007, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I used to be a bleeding heart Liberal. Keep this in mind when you read my comment below.

There has to be something better to resolve the problem than a state income tax. I agree that once it's imposed on us, it will open up a giant opportunity for lawmakers to abuse it. The entire federal income tax system is so corrupt that the last thing we need is a state tax.

I know I'm going off on a tangent, because this is a federal matter, but I see people all around me getting welfare or disabilty checks while they go to the beach or sit around and drink beer all day. Just yesterday I was mentioning how expensive health insurance is to a neighbor and her response was "Why do you pay for health insurance? I don't pay anything at all if I go the the Emergency Room?" My other neighbors also didn't understand because they get Medicaid. I just shut up since they haven't got a clue most people don't get free food and free medical care & prescription drugs. It makes me wonder why I work my butt off to make a living. If these were needy families, I wouldn't be writing this at all. I believe strongly in helping the disabled and victims of disasters and other unfortunate circumstances.

So why mention it at all? Because there will always be people who think the government should take care of them with our tax dollars, and from what I can see, they seem to know how to beat the system. A state tax might end up in the same pockets - just different programs. Thanks for letting me vent.
I agree with most of what you've said. I personally have never taken a government hand out and have been a tax paying worker since I was a sophomore in high school. Some people do take advantage of the system; learning the loopholes, not working and taking handouts because they don't want to work. Others, legitimately need the government resources. In either case, none of those people live in a way that I want to. I could choose to not work, live less, go on some sort of welfare, run to the emergency room when I need medical assistance, etc. But I'm not willing to give up my lifestyle for that lifestyle. Working 40-50 hours a week for "the man" is worth it to me. For others it isn't. As much as it may bother me that I know that some of my tax dollars are going to waste, I'm not bothered enough to stop using and live as those who take advantage of the system. I have never lived that way, grew up in a middle class household with an attorney father and nice things. I'd rather work for 55+ years and live this way.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:11 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,296,782 times
I am wondering something else: how come a property decreased in value by $90,000 within a year and yet the property taxes are the same as last year!? how does that make sense?

Old 09-01-2007, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
I am wondering something else: how come a property decreased in value by $90,000 within a year and yet the property taxes are the same as last year!? how does that make sense?
Look into getting your taxes lowered. Here in Chicago, there is a simply way to do that. You have to find real estate listings of comprable homes in your neighborhood that recently sold. If your home is assessed for considerably more than they sold, your county should lower you taxes. Contact your local county real estate tax assessor's office to learn the process where you live.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:25 PM

112 posts, read 491,408 times
I wish I could move. Someone buy my condo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay