U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 11:42 AM

79 posts, read 249,159 times

Advertisements

I know that hurricanes is a popular topic on these forums, but I want to get an idea of typical yearly home damage.

While hurricane data seems to show that Tampa is not usually hit as bad and as often as places like Miami, I know it's still always possible. I also know that if you live anywhere in FL you are going to have to deal with hurricanes at some point. But recently I've met a few people who once lived in Tampa and they only told doom and gloom about Tampa. From their comments you'd think that Tampa was a high target area for hurricanes. They said that I'd probably get home damage every year.

So my question is this. For homeowners, how frequently do you experience hurricane damage? And when you get damage, to what extent is the damage typically? Should I expect to have to replace roof tiles multiple times in one hurricane season, or is it worse than that? Maybe this is hard to answer, but I'm just looking for personal experiences. If you have the time, maybe you can say how long you've lived in Tampa and how often you have had to repair and replace things damaged from hurricanes.

Thanks, Joy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 12:14 PM

198 posts, read 871,874 times
In my 31 years in the tampa area, the worst I had was 6 missing shingle from frances in 2004. Besides a few tree limbs and yard debis, we never had anything bad. BUT we also never had giant trees in our yard just waiting for a stiff breeze to blow them into our house. A lot of damage occurs due to people living next to huge trees that are not maintained and come crashing down on their house. Until we get a direct hit, most damage we have is from falling trees and poorly maintained homes.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:29 PM

2 posts, read 9,201 times
I have lived in the greater Tampa area ie: Seminole, for 50 years and have never had hurricane damage...yet

Old 11-09-2008, 03:06 PM

3,926 posts, read 10,310,810 times
I've lived in the Carrollwood area (NW Tampa) for 25 years now. I'm happy to report we've had no storm-related damage. For measurement, we're located about 20-25 miles east of the Gulf of Mexico. We take the storms seriously; do advance preparation; and act responsibly when hurricanes are within striking distance.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:34 PM

68 posts, read 192,916 times
I've never experienced damage in Tampa and I've been here since 97. Originally I came from Miami and only experienced damage once in 1992. Of course that was CATASTOPHIC damage, but still, pretty good odds for 43 years.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:44 PM

241 posts, read 417,085 times
I've lived on the west coast of Florida for almost 25 years and have never experienced hurricane damage. I would be more concerned about flooding than wind damage; when we purchased our home in 2000 we made absolutely sure we were not in a flood/hurricane evacuation zone.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:48 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,900,148 times
30 years and no damage except for loss of some frozen food with no power for a week in 05. Luckily, my neighbor got power back after a few days, they ran a power cord from their house over the fence to my house for the fridge, coffee maker and a fan at night.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:27 PM

1,824 posts, read 7,625,809 times
Over 20 years in Tampa, and the only cost was to replace some food that went bad in the Fridge when the power went out for a few days back in 2004.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:52 PM

3,926 posts, read 10,310,810 times
Y'all jogged my memory. Remember rolling brownouts? I think it was in the winter around holiday time because we had company, but I don't remember which year. Can anyone enlighten me? We didn't lose any food to spoilage, but I can imagine there were many who did.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:19 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,675,439 times
been here 21 years (whole life) and nothing has ever happend to my house. the worst thing is having to pick up branches and stuff out of your yard (not huge, just less than one inch thick usually). Really you dont have that much to worry about unless your right on the coast or its a HUGE storm. Stuff like katrina is unusual and it wont flood here like it did there, we dont build our cities under sea level lol. Dont get me wrong, streets will flood and im sure some people get water in there homes, odds of it being you are slim if your not close to the water
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or