Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2009, 08:11 PM

93 posts, read 196,965 times

Advertisements

There seems to be a large contingency of Europeans living on the Atlantic coast. Has the Tampa area seen an influx in recent years from countries on the other side of the pond, and if so, which communities have the most?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 04:41 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Less and less are interested to move here. I'm a European and I have heard how many think they are treated unfair to obtain visa's and if they buy here a property and live here all year round they won't get homestead for their primary property. In Europe all home owners are treated equal...where ever you come from you pay a certain percentage for property taxes and not less if you a citizen....I agree with that system and unless they change tings over here they will lose out on Europeans moving over here.

Some Countries also give silver cards to retirees who move to their country and spend money, the USA doesn't do that and that is preventing retired wealthy people from moving here since they have to leave the country every 3 months.

Sometimes it seems that illegals have more rights than people who want to come here the legal way and don't need soc. security and have money and are willing to spent it over here.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:23 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxquest View Post
There seems to be a large contingency of Europeans living on the Atlantic coast. Has the Tampa area seen an influx in recent years from countries on the other side of the pond, and if so, which communities have the most?
I don't know about Tampa, but there seems to be a LOT down here in Sarasota. There seem to be a lot more French people here lately, but also I hear many accents when I go downtown or out shopping or even to the beach. We also have European friends who are wanting to buy in the area. I think they are taking advantage of the real estate bargains to be had right now.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:28 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Germans love the Gulf Coast - I know many that own property from Tampa to Ft Myers. Nice way to get out of the dreary winters here.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:40 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
I'm not sure if every one can egognize accents and really can be sure where the people are from...I'm told sometimes "au revoir", I guess some people think I'm from France, than people think I'm from Germany, Skandanavia, etc....I'm not from any of these countries...

Old 03-26-2009, 08:20 AM

413 posts, read 1,368,484 times
The opposite is also true. Americans who want to move to Europe have a really hard time unlike people who live in other European countries. It is near to impossible for an American to move to Britain.

A lot of Americans have not traveled abroad because of the cost of it. So unlike Europeans who hear the different accents more often it is hard to discern where someone is from.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:20 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I'm not sure if every one can egognize accents and really can be sure where the people are from...I'm told sometimes "au revoir", I guess some people think I'm from France, than people think I'm from Germany, Skandanavia, etc....I'm not from any of these countries...
We know accents, especially my hubby - he grew up in Belgium and has traveled all over the world. I easily recognize French, Spanish and Italian, and "New York" lol - others I'm not so sure about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay