Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 12:47 AM

10 posts, read 75,784 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

This is my first post here and first I would like to say that its awesome to see such a nice, thriving online community! Keep up the good work! =D

Now, here is my situation in a nutshell:
I live in Largo and I will be moving to Tampa in a couple months, because of a great job ive finally got. I will be driving around alot back and forth between Pinellas and Hillsborough in our "take home company vehicle", so I guess the area dosent really matter, but if it is possible I would like something close to the causeway to help me battle traffic.

Then here is my problem now.
I figured I should do my homework because getting an apartment is not a small "what will be, will be" kind of decision. Im looking around online first to make up a small list of what to go and actually check out in person. My budget for a 1br is $700 but no more then $750. But then this is where I keep crashing into walls. I keep reading bad reviews of apartments being broken into, cars being stolen, ppl doing drug deals etc etc.
I need an apartment complex where the company van will not be broken into and have the equipment stolen out of. Plus I dont wanna be scared at night of some idiot thinking i make alot of money or something and brake into my apartment. My gf lives and works in Tampa, but she says if something bad is gonna happen to you it will happen no matter what.
I know that too. I just keep thinking that if you do your homework right, there is much less chance of something horrible happening!

Please help me find a safe complex! There is just something about a Tampa that scares me. I guess im just not used to hearing about cars being stolen or apts being broken into around Largo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 09:52 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
What area are you looking for an apt?

You can post apts names you are considering an get an opinion from the folks here. Please folks, no graphic detail about why you hate a place..send a DM for that.

I have to agree somewhat with your GF.. there is no way you can be 100% sure that no one is going to break into the van or you will always be safe, even in a gated upscale community, things like that happen.

Old 11-27-2008, 06:41 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Well yeah, im pretty sure there is no 100% safe complex anywhere you go. Im looking for the few that are known to have the VERY LEAST amount of crime happening and I can afford out of less then $800. I dont have any other conditions for apartments. Roaches, lazy maintenance guys, shotty management dosent bother me at all. Im living at a place now where I have to deal with a few bugs occasionally, stuff not being done and complaints landing on deaf ears.
Unfortunately my bookmarks got deleted a couple days ago so I had to start over.
Sofar I remember I looked at the Citrus Park area and I saved the Birkshires. I also was looking at complexes on Westshore Blvd. How about Davis Island? I remember I looked at stuff in noth Tampa too. Like I said the location dosent really matter, but I would prefer something close to the causeway. But if thats not possible Ill go out of the way.
Ill be sure to keep and eye on my post and let youguys know if ive found something I would like info about.

Thanks for all the help in advance!

Old 11-27-2008, 08:50 PM

Ok guys, here is a few I would like to get opinions on. How safe are these?

-Fairway Oaks, near Usf. (Isnt the usf area full of rowdy students looking to make a quick buck by busting up stuff?)

-Carrollwood Palms Apartmets

-Lakeside North at Carrollwood

-The Birkshires

-Villas Aparments LLC in New Tampa (Ive heard the New Tampa area is pretty nice and seems the most safest to me. Is that right? I gotta call to see if I can affor them tho.)

-Marquis by Norstar also in New Tampa (I gotta call about this one too)

How are these ones guys? Please help!

Old 11-29-2008, 07:27 PM

Anyone!? No opinions what so ever!? Did I say something wrong!?

Old 11-29-2008, 09:51 PM

3 posts, read 10,913 times
The Villas are in bad shape. If you are looking at New Tampa, look into The Gardens at Cross Creek (off of Cross Creek Blvd., near Morris Bridge Road). They cost more than $750, but it is relatively new and has good amenities.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:43 PM

Thanks d2005!

Unfortunately that is about $100 bucks out of my range. I have to find something under $800 so I would actually have some money left over to buy food too! =D But thanks for the nice suggestion. Ill keep that in mind and maybe nextyear when i get a raise or something!

Old 11-30-2008, 06:19 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,600,605 times
I've heard good things about Berkshire at Citrus Park, but I don't live there. Here's a link to their website ---> Berkshire.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:01 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
Davis Island is a safe area, however not sure how many car breakins they have there.

I will suggest Lake Carlton Arms in Odessa. I know someone who lived there and they loved it. Not too far from the Veterans. Very reasonable rent too.
View Lake Carlton Arms Apartments For Rent in Lutz, Florida - ForRent.com

There are several apts in S. Tampa that might work for you. Camden Westshore or The Cove.

What area of town do you prefer? If you are going to be driving to pinellas county a lot I would check out S. Tampa for the convenience to I275 and gandy.

I would avoid any place near USF, not because the places aren't nice but you will have students.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:48 PM

Awesome! Thank you for the helpful responses TampaKaren and Keeper!

Yeah, I was thinking I would prefer something close to a major highway on the west side of Hillsborough, close to the causeway. But I figured if there is nothing available to my conditions I would rather deal with the drive in opposing to not being able to sleep at night being worried about safety.
I didnt know much about the usf area, but I did know that lot of students that like to party almost every weekend. I probably would like to sleep at night, not listen to my neighours drunken hip hop party.

Once again, thank you for the oppinions. Ill keep an eye out for some other places too, but sofar I think Im going to check out the ones we've talked about. Thanx!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay