U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 05:58 AM

552 posts, read 613,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
I too have followed the posts dissing NPR over the past year, and I wasn't even going to look there. A friend of mine who lives in the Bay area suggested I do, as there were parts that were actually quite nice.

Well, I am closing a condo today. In the 34653 area of NPR.

What great value! a 950 square foot 2/2 in a condo complex with excellent reserves and maintenance that is obvious and impressive. Pool, tennis court and club house. I got very lucky working with a realtor that he got a listing where the absenty owners needed a fast sale. Listed at $39K, I ended up getting it for $28K and am estimating 6-7K in renos and upgrades. A steal in anyone's book. Oh, and it came furnished, which means as a snowbird I can take my time either keeping what I need, or replacing it as I find what needs replacing or things more to my taste.

If I had listened to all the naysayers, I would never even have looked.

I am happy with my decision.
The eastern part of NPR is ok where Mitchell High is zoned. Youre just close to some really dumpy areas, I wouldnt worry about it though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 09:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,830 times
My husband and I are looking at a home on Lighthouse Way off of Sail Dr in Beacon Square...we have a 6 year old daughter as well. We are coming from Michigan. I have been reading on this part of town, is it really as bad as everyone says?! How are the schools there? I just do not want to move somewhere, where I am afraid to let my daughter out of my sight and always worrying if my home is going to be broken into. Please help. Any comments and opinions are very much appreciated!

Old 03-28-2013, 09:31 AM

8,706 posts, read 8,810,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
I will never understand the appeal of NPR, Holiday, or Spring Hill. Every time I bring up NPR to somebody, I hear, "Oh, it's being built up!" That's great... Tampa has offered everything NPR is now building for years. I also can't imagine the prices are more appealing. I'd rather live closer to what I want and need than having to drive a half hour plus. Spring Hill I've only been through once. That's all it took. It's a bunch of cookie cutter houses and strip malls. Oh, and one bowling alley. Sound exciting? Didn't think so.
Maybe people that live there don't need to go to Tampa and are not interested in the same things you want and need?

Sometimes we need to remember not to look at things through our own glasses, but instead understand what someone else wants or needs. They are not always the same thing.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:40 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,243,962 times
Maybe you're a more urban oriented person.

While the growth of the Tampa area has expanded north for quite some time, a lot more of the available land has become developed. Spring Hill has changed drastically over the past 10 years. There is nothing I can't obtain here that I would be able to obtain in Tampa. There is very little need to drive a 1/2 hour to get anywhere you may need to be here. Since you've only been here once, and probably a while ago, you did not explore the area well enough to be able to comment on it. The lack of traffic, congestion, and density is what attracts people to places away from the urban centers. NPR, Hudson, Spring Hill and areas further north seem to be attracting more and more people and with that growth in the retail and real estate markets results.

Can you bowl in more than one place at a time? There is a lot more to do in SH than bowling.

Quote:
I will never understand the appeal of NPR, Holiday, or Spring Hill. Every time I bring up NPR to somebody, I hear, "Oh, it's being built up!" That's great... Tampa has offered everything NPR is now building for years. I also can't imagine the prices are more appealing. I'd rather live closer to what I want and need than having to drive a half hour plus. Spring Hill I've only been through once. That's all it took. It's a bunch of cookie cutter houses and strip malls. Oh, and one bowling alley. Sound exciting? Didn't think so.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:37 PM

2,359 posts, read 4,489,086 times
I thought Spring Hill had 2 bowling alley's. There's one on Hwy 19 near Hooters and there's one on Mariner that was a combination bowling ally-meat store.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:18 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,487,407 times
Quote:
The northwest section NPR is an armpit as far as I'm concerned. Holiday is the same. I had to drive through there the other day and all I kept thinking was, "Wow this place really is gross!" The storefronts along US 19 are tacky and rundown. The people walking around the streets look like meth addicts or gangbangers. There is no way I would live in that area I don't care how inexpensive the housing is.

Spring Hill is the nicest of the three areas. It has more than one bowling alley, by the way. And from what I hear from my friends there, they are building a really nice new movie theater (with an IMAX, I think) soon. The houses are cookie cutter, yes. It does have a great deal of strip malls. But it lacks the disgusting XXX centers and strip clubs that Holiday and NPR have. Spring Hill is more of a blue collar area whereas NPR and Holiday are just ghetto. It's not an exciting town, as you mentioned, but most people who move there do so because they want a slower pace of life. No one moves to Spring Hill because it is "exciting."

Old 03-28-2013, 03:57 PM

15,184 posts, read 31,120,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
The northwest section NPR is an armpit as far as I'm concerned. Holiday is the same. I had to drive through there the other day and all I kept thinking was, "Wow this place really is gross!" The storefronts along US 19 are tacky and rundown. The people walking around the streets look like meth addicts or gangbangers. There is no way I would live in that area I don't care how inexpensive the housing is.

Spring Hill is the nicest of the three areas. It has more than one bowling alley, by the way. And from what I hear from my friends there, they are building a really nice new movie theater (with an IMAX, I think) soon. The houses are cookie cutter, yes. It does have a great deal of strip malls. But it lacks the disgusting XXX centers and strip clubs that Holiday and NPR have. Spring Hill is more of a blue collar area whereas NPR and Holiday are just ghetto. It's not an exciting town, as you mentioned, but most people who move there do so because they want a slower pace of life. No one moves to Spring Hill because it is "exciting."
Good assessment and I agree ^^^. Nothing wrong with Spring Hill, it's nice and clean and offers a more laid-back way of life for those who don't need the coast or big city. Big difference with NPR and Holiday, though. I didn't like those places even decades ago when they were still sort of "nice". Now - forget about it, pure ghetto. There is a reason places are cheap.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:14 PM

13,642 posts, read 9,305,833 times
Quote:
So, let me get this straight: You're happy with a house you have yet to close on, have yet to live in, and have yet to experience the city itself?

Seems legit.
True.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:15 PM

13,642 posts, read 9,305,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jg0306 View Post
My husband and I are looking at a home on Lighthouse Way off of Sail Dr in Beacon Square...we have a 6 year old daughter as well. We are coming from Michigan. I have been reading on this part of town, is it really as bad as everyone says?! How are the schools there? I just do not want to move somewhere, where I am afraid to let my daughter out of my sight and always worrying if my home is going to be broken into. Please help. Any comments and opinions are very much appreciated!
Just do a crime search of the local area, that should scare ya off.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:43 PM

5,507 posts, read 9,271,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post

Matter of time before SH becomes just like NPR/Holiday/Hudson. They have so much in common in how they were built/planned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay