Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 11:51 AM

2,403 posts, read 5,226,076 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving to the Tampa area. According to website research Holiday looks tempting. Crime rate is low, house prices & rentals are very reasonable. Any comments on the area? I'm not looking for Disneyworld or anything spectacular, just peace & quiet and some outdoor activity like tennis, kayaking and swimming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 02:20 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,226,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
I'm considering moving to the Tampa area. According to website research Holiday looks tempting. Crime rate is low, house prices & rentals are very reasonable. Any comments on the area? I'm not looking for Disneyworld or anything spectacular, just peace & quiet and some outdoor activity like tennis, kayaking and swimming.
Reading the posts on NPR I think I'm getting the picture. Not pretty.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:24 AM

22,192 posts, read 29,194,682 times
Holiday, NPR are nothing to live in unless you are on the water and now you could probably actually afford it. I'd go down more to Clearwater.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:57 PM

849 posts, read 2,912,613 times
Holiday is awful. Stay away from that area. Old, dirty, and full of druggies and prostitutes (especially off US19 and Bonita). Some areas aren't all that bad (Key Vista is beautiful), but there is too much garbage around it that makes it undesirable IMO.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:30 PM

158 posts, read 599,757 times
Holiday is cheap, but at a cost. As soon as you cross into Pasco County from Pinellas, you can notice an obvious difference, but only in certain areas, as parts of Pasco are great, like Trinity and whatnot. I personally wouldn't live in the Holiday area of Pasco, but it is affordable if that's all you're going for.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:05 PM

1 posts, read 13,269 times
Thumbs up cleawater, fl

im living in brooklyn,ny. i want to move to cleawater,fl next year 10. i have a 2yrs old. i'm single. reason for my move is i want to raise my daughter in a more lay back life style. i'm also looking for good school system. most of all i'm sick of the cold weather of ny. Please any info about cleawater will definetly helpful.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:44 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,215,199 times
Holiday is an area that started to build out in the late 60's. There is no real established social life or parks or community areas to speak of. It was built by Real Estate Speculators for a quick buck for people who needed a cheap place to retire.

Many years ago they made it illegal to hangout at Green Key Beach after 9 PM or so. The young bored kids resented it and moved away. This was an area geared to retirees, and they were fearful. This County became a police state. Most of the young people moved out and Real Estate prices stagnated and stayed that way for many, many years.

Well as time went on, the old folks died out and younger families moved in. Prices escalated and then blew out. Now it is in transition.

This is one of the most boring communities in the whole south if you are young and seek to have a life. Then again, it may be ideal if you are settled, Republican, old, and a bit slow in the head.

If the people here ever figure out what is missing here, the region will explode. It just takes a little heart and thought...Come on down.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:41 PM

41 posts, read 100,734 times
I lived in Holiday for about 10 years, I grew up in Palm Harbor, was born in Clearwater and currently reside in New Port Richey.

I wouldnt move back to Holiday, its just to run down and the renters dont take care of the homes. I wouldnt feel comfortable letting my 10 year old out to play, thats why I moved in the first place.

Im not sure I would move back to clearwater either, I guess it really depends where though, by the beach? There are some parts of clearwater that I wouldnt even go in.

I love where I am at now in New Port Richey, my son and all his friends are out playing until dark, the schools are great and they are building it up very nicely. Search zipcodes 34655 and even 34653. I would stay out of Port Richey and Hudson, they are north of New Port Richey. Trinity is right before NPR and is new and beautiful, I lived there about 2 years and loved it as well.

Lisa

Old 06-01-2009, 02:18 PM

611 posts, read 1,451,418 times
I live in Holiday now and i feel as if there are alot of good people here. I have met alot of nice people. Wish the town was incorporated so we could have city parks and pools, ect. The elementary school in Holiday is better than the one my daughter went to in Clearwater. There is a handful of strip clubs, and a few bars. But I dont think its as horrid as people make it out to be. My daughter loves it here. I have lived in the ghettos of jacksonville, Holiday is just that - A holiday! No but seriously, its not that bad. It can be kind of boring as I am in my early 20's and its kinda hard to meet people here, but theres always tons of kids for my daughter to play with and there is a Walmart pretty close, watch out if you move to Clearwater.,, the closest super walmart is like 20 miles ( 30 minute drive) in each direction. Traffic is really, really bad in Holiday. Theres a lack of good palces to eat, and theres not that much of a social scene as most the people my age know each other from High School or the Local Community College. Clearwater has its drawbacks, my advise is if you move to clearwater and cant afford to live ON the water, live as close to 19 as possible, because anytime you want to go somewhere you HAVE to get on to 19, and depending upon where you live in Clearwater in can be a 15-20 minute drive just to get to 19, oh, and Clearwater has more stop lights than any town I have ever lived in.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:38 AM

849 posts, read 2,912,613 times
Dutty, you must live in either Key Vista or one of the newer developments off Bailles Bluff, because I can't see anyone giving props to Holiday. Compared to the ghetto in J-Ville, of course its an improvement, I'd agree there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay