U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 06:52 PM

9 posts, read 21,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam.g.harpool View Post
What are you talking about???? Don't you know that everybody in Florida is DIRT POOR! Why, none of us have paid our rent in months! And we can't pay our utility bills because the temperature is known to stay right at 130 degrees in January! And we're all afraid to send our kids to school because Hispanic gangsters roam the hallways! And there are aggressive Haitians on every street corner asking for handouts! And my house was destroyed by SIXTEEN HURRICANES last year! And I have to sit in traffic for SIX HOURS just to get to the beach!

Hey, since most of the chronic Florida-bashers still apparently have yet to learn that I-75 and I-95 do indeed go the other direction (to such paradises on earth like Georgia, Tennessee, and North Carolina), might as well have some fun with them...
For some reason your post reminded me of an old SNL skit in which they kept claiming that if you go to NY, at some point you will be stabbed in the face. "But I just made eye contact with some guy!" "Well, there you go." Hee!

People like what they like, and I personally think Florida is awful, but others love it. I am planning to move to NC and will hopefully someday live in NYC, but some would rather die than do that. While I can understand people want to defend the state they love, some people need to vent about their bad experiences.

When I first read your post, I read it too fast and thought the sentence said the house was destroyed by sixteen aggressive Haitians. (!!!!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 07:43 PM

158 posts, read 450,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini1980 View Post
For some reason your post reminded me of an old SNL skit in which they kept claiming that if you go to NY, at some point you will be stabbed in the face. "But I just made eye contact with some guy!" "Well, there you go." Hee!

Trial Begins For Man Accused Of Stabbing 4 In NYC, Lawyer: Man Accused Of Stabbing 4 In NY Is Mentally Ill Despite Being Found Fit For Trial - CBS News (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/01/23/ap/national/main4750517.shtml - broken link)

Old 02-03-2009, 11:32 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,056,956 times
I would love to trade places with anyone who wants out of Fl. You can come up to wonderful Vermont. There are mountains and and trees all over the place. Once you are here you can freeze six months out of the year, get paid a crappy wage if you can find a job. Then we will throw in the bonuses like getting to live in one of the highest taxed states in the country, getting to pay an oil bill every month to heat your home(don't even cry to me about a $400 electric bill for A/C) and the icing on the cake, income tax. Then there are all the small things like trying to find a good place to rent for under
$1100, getting hosed on the utility bills because of the lack of competition and the list goes on. If anyone wants to take me up on my offer I'll sell ya my house real cheap at only $400,000. Trust me it's a real deal.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:31 AM

4,112 posts, read 5,830,142 times
LOL.. $400K is about what I need to retire on to the small town in Maine that I'm looking at... could live off that for the rest of my life(very modestly, of course).. Just got a giggle when I saw that! I got my home for $70K in 1995 in a normally expensive town.. and though it's tiny, it's been paid off since December 2004.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:03 AM

979 posts, read 3,539,996 times
All I see are rich parents and rich parent's kids here. I don't know WHAT YOU people are talking about!

Old 02-04-2009, 09:44 AM

25 posts, read 113,830 times
Ya know, I live in upstate NY in the Capital District and my husband and I are planning to move to the Tampa area in about a year or so for a change and to be closer to family. I've read SO much negativity from people on here and it's refreshing to finally read that some people are happy down there. You know, Florida, and more specifically Tampa, are not the only places in the country with not-so-great wages, high home forclosure rates, and high rent. The entire country is feeling the crunch! Many are doing much better than others, but little of that has to do with location. Try living up here where you have to make the choice to either pay your rent late, buy food to feed your family, or pay you heating bill so your family doesn't get sick or freeze in the 3 degree weather! I know that there are negative aspects of living in Tampa, just know that most of the reasons people complain about living down there are the same or worse up here. Just live within your means. Move to a different climate if you don't like the one you're in. Find a new career or get higher education if your job does not pay well enough. There's ways for everyone to be happier...not just those that are wealthy or have wealthy parents.

By the way, palm trees, feeling the warmth on my face, and seeing the sunset will put a smile on my face any day =) These things don't fix problems, but they sure do put things in perspective! ...and they beat having branches fall on your car because the weight of the ice broke them off the tree, the feeling like your face is going to shatter because to freezing cold wind is unbearable and unavoidable, and bundling up to dig your car out of the snow for 2 hours before heading to work...

Old 02-04-2009, 10:13 AM

15,115 posts, read 31,011,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tblan View Post
Ya know, I live in upstate NY in the Capital District and my husband and I are planning to move to the Tampa area in about a year or so for a change and to be closer to family. I've read SO much negativity from people on here and it's refreshing to finally read that some people are happy down there. You know, Florida, and more specifically Tampa, are not the only places in the country with not-so-great wages, high home forclosure rates, and high rent. The entire country is feeling the crunch! Many are doing much better than others, but little of that has to do with location. Try living up here where you have to make the choice to either pay your rent late, buy food to feed your family, or pay you heating bill so your family doesn't get sick or freeze in the 3 degree weather! I know that there are negative aspects of living in Tampa, just know that most of the reasons people complain about living down there are the same or worse up here. Just live within your means. Move to a different climate if you don't like the one you're in. Find a new career or get higher education if your job does not pay well enough. There's ways for everyone to be happier...not just those that are wealthy or have wealthy parents.

By the way, palm trees, feeling the warmth on my face, and seeing the sunset will put a smile on my face any day =) These things don't fix problems, but they sure do put things in perspective! ...and they beat having branches fall on your car because the weight of the ice broke them off the tree, the feeling like your face is going to shatter because to freezing cold wind is unbearable and unavoidable, and bundling up to dig your car out of the snow for 2 hours before heading to work...
Believe me, there are people here who LOVE living/working in the Tampa Bay metro area - my hubby and I are two of them. We get up every day and give thanks and pinch ourselves for being able to live here - and I am a native!

And utility bills are great for us - last month only $60! I hardly ever have to run heat or air, even the summer bills aren't bad. The people here who complain just do it loud and often, that's why it seems like there is so much negativity. Those of us who are happy just don't post about it as much or we get blasted by the malcontents!

Old 02-04-2009, 05:57 PM

807 posts, read 2,820,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Believe me, there are people here who LOVE living/working in the Tampa Bay metro area - my hubby and I are two of them. We get up every day and give thanks and pinch ourselves for being able to live here - and I am a native!

And utility bills are great for us - last month only $60! I hardly ever have to run heat or air, even the summer bills aren't bad. The people here who complain just do it loud and often, that's why it seems like there is so much negativity. Those of us who are happy just don't post about it as much or we get blasted by the malcontents!
How dare you post something nice about Florida! It's hot here...and the sun is out way too much...I hate it here, the beaches are all sandy and the water is salty! I was going to go somewhere today but there were cars on the road...and they were moving! Everything up north is so much better, the people, the temperatures, the jobs, the bugs, schools, building methods, culture, lack of sunburn, everything is cleaner, prettier, etc. I hate it here. All smart people know how awful it is here. No one here is nice. Everyone steals and lies and is out to get you. Everyone here has a red neck. Nothing is fun...except jabbing those malcontents! haaaaaa!!

I got your back my bohemian beauty!

Old 02-04-2009, 07:14 PM

15,115 posts, read 31,011,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by On-da-Beach View Post
How dare you post something nice about Florida! It's hot here...and the sun is out way too much...I hate it here, the beaches are all sandy and the water is salty! I was going to go somewhere today but there were cars on the road...and they were moving! Everything up north is so much better, the people, the temperatures, the jobs, the bugs, schools, building methods, culture, lack of sunburn, everything is cleaner, prettier, etc. I hate it here. All smart people know how awful it is here. No one here is nice. Everyone steals and lies and is out to get you. Everyone here has a red neck. Nothing is fun...except jabbing those malcontents! haaaaaa!!

I got your back my bohemian beauty!
LOL - that's great! Would give you rep points, but says I already gave you too many!

Old 02-04-2009, 08:47 PM

2,035 posts, read 4,513,653 times
Gypsychic...i'll do it for both of you..its time to out ballance all the negativity..and i still have a few more months before i can get..no,..race back there...can't wait another second
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay