U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 10:17 AM

2,602 posts, read 7,181,730 times

Advertisements

The Scientologists don't really stray away from Downtown. They're about the only thing down there. They don't bother people, but they can creep out some people. I've heard that they lobby and block a lot of development down there. I don't know if that's true or if they're just an easy scapegoat. They did try and take over the city back in the 70s, but the plan was exposed before they really did anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 10:23 AM

42 posts, read 220,881 times
They are definitely creepy. i wonder if its true that various members are leaders in the local govt.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:44 PM

21,108 posts, read 30,182,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus03 View Post
i was planning on staying away from clearwater because its where scientology has its headquarters where the billion year contract employees live - called the "sea org". I've read and seen a lot of crazy stuff on the news. Not sure how it really is for people who live there though. It was a nice place when I was a kid and my prents had a condo but they sold it many years ago.

Operation Clambake presents: A Paramilitary Cult

Sea Org - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think if you avoid looking at the swinging pendulum, you're okay... and kind of a strange reason to avoid living in a nice city.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:07 PM

well you might want to take a closer look at the nutty cult

too many options in florida. I like St Pete's a lot so far which is close to clearwater.

But I'll be avoiding star trek town

Old 09-05-2010, 03:14 PM

3 posts, read 16,723 times
Yeah,Ive lived here off and on visiting due to my mother retiring to this area.I dont feel that the locals care about the church downtown to make these web sites etc....I thinks it is a weird thing to avoid an area or city because of them when.most folks around here don't even go downtown and rather pass around it to go to the beach etc..
They seem to keep to themselves+I read that link and really Ive seen similar sites about Mormons and really, to each is own.Who really cares,I sure don't.I do what I gotta do regardless.Folks say the same about Salt lake City.I think Clearwater+florida in general sucks though.The rent is high and the area has no jobs even in a good economy.Most folks Ive met who want to make a living here try to become managers for supermarkets or walgreens.just to make enough above minimum wage to afford the rent here.
I plan to move back out to Texas soon. I sort of have to help my elderly mother til another relative Can come to help so I can leave.I was happier in Texas and its way cheaper than here and the people are alot friendlier.Most folks would complain about poeple being rude here.I didnt think so until I would leave then come back from Texas,then i would notice the "rudeness"
I cant wait to leave,the beach luster soon fades when one lives here for abit and has to find a way to make a living here.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:22 PM

not going downtown? how sad. I love a nice town to visit.

when researching clearwater i found out that the sea org - scientology headquarters - was there. Freaked me out

http://www.xenu.net/

Last edited by Lotus03; 09-05-2010 at 03:35 PM..

Old 09-05-2010, 04:09 PM

131 posts, read 260,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom2live View Post
Most folks would complain about poeple being rude here.I didnt think so until I would leave then come back from Texas,then i would notice the "rudeness"
There is "rudeness" everywhere though. I thought it was humorous because my husband and I went to NYC on vacation this summer and everyone was harping on their rudeness. After the trip, I personally found that the locals that I ran across were helpful and nice and the people at home in SC were much more rude. Sometimes I think people classify rudeness as when people don't go out of their way to speak to you, but really I just think it's a difference in culture.

I've lived in SC all my life and can't wait for our move to Tampa, I'm looking forward to the diversity...even if the diversity means there are a bunch of scientologists lol. Honestly, they can't be much worse than some of the religious folks where we live! Tampa should be proud to be diverse, if scientologists tried to move into SC there would be riots..and I'm not exaggerating!! LOL.

Old 09-05-2010, 04:37 PM

3 posts, read 16,723 times
I agree Nobody really gives a crap about the scientologist and the ones that do usually have person agendas against them just like others who dont like whoever for what ever reasons..I still feel Florida job market blows+ has for a long time.Unless you want to work for a supermarket or get transfered here from a good job up north or where ever.I'd say pick a good neighborhood in Tampa and give it a year or 2+ see how you feel including the high cost for everything here and crappy service to boot.Not sure how old you are but Pinellas county kinda blows for the under 30-40 crowd,besides the beach and bars or even further out to sea world disney for the kids,its costly to venture out to do all those things in this economy and I suppose it depends on what one likes to do here.
Rudeness is every where you're right. but Ill trade any "rudeness" for a better job market anyday.
We seem to have both unfortunately every where we go.

Old 09-05-2010, 04:45 PM

what neighborhoods in Tampa do you like?

Old 09-05-2010, 04:52 PM

131 posts, read 260,971 times
I'm 26 and my husband is 30. Neither of us are big partiers, we are mostly interested in northwest tampa and just want some nice shopping, restaurants, and more opportunity for entertainment on the weekend. Columbia is pretty lacking in entertainment and it'll be nice to get some season tickets for some of the sports teams around town. We are both in IT, I am a software admin for a hospital and will need to stay in healthcare. My husband can pretty much work anywhere, so hopefully that will be an advantage. We will see how the job hunt goes in a couple months, we aren't in a rush as we have already sold our house and are in a month-to-month rental. No kids and don't plan on having any, so school districts aren't all that important to us. If things don't work out then we'll make other plans, but Tampa seems like exactly what we're looking for. Thanks for the advice, that kind of reaffirms our direction as far as where to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or