U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 08:30 PM

21,186 posts, read 30,343,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus03 View Post
They are definitely creepy. i wonder if its true that various members are leaders in the local govt.
Yes they are. I hear they also live in pods and refer to their leader as Zoltar...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 08:47 PM

42 posts, read 221,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
How is life in Clearwater, Florida?
I guess its great...just don't go into town! LOL

wow researching places to live and stumble across all this craziness:

Jason Beghe on child abuse in COS

YouTube - JASON BEGHE on CHILD ABUSE in the Church of Scientology

Scientology and the Clearwater Police

YouTube - Scientology and the Clearwater Police

Clearwater City Meeting - Abuses

YouTube - Scientology: Clearwater City Meeting - Abuses

Downtown Clearwater

YouTube - Scientology: Day 1 of the 4th of July Event

[SIZE=5][/SIZE]
[SIZE=5][/SIZE]

Old 09-05-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Yes they are. I hear they also live in pods and refer to their leader as Zoltar...
that is believable since i just learned that they believe in Xenu the alien.

Thats some wild stuff.

Woot

Looks like some place in tampa or St Pete would be great to be close to baseball. Just have to stay away from downtown clearwater cause everyone is on the COS payroll (??)

freaky

Old 09-06-2010, 08:04 AM

15,188 posts, read 31,126,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmorgan7 View Post
I'm 26 and my husband is 30. Neither of us are big partiers, we are mostly interested in northwest tampa and just want some nice shopping, restaurants, and more opportunity for entertainment on the weekend. Columbia is pretty lacking in entertainment and it'll be nice to get some season tickets for some of the sports teams around town. We are both in IT, I am a software admin for a hospital and will need to stay in healthcare. My husband can pretty much work anywhere, so hopefully that will be an advantage. We will see how the job hunt goes in a couple months, we aren't in a rush as we have already sold our house and are in a month-to-month rental. No kids and don't plan on having any, so school districts aren't all that important to us. If things don't work out then we'll make other plans, but Tampa seems like exactly what we're looking for. Thanks for the advice, that kind of reaffirms our direction as far as where to live.
That's a good area of Tampa to live - convenient to everything and a lot of nice neighborhoods. Plus easy access to the beach towns.

My .02 on Clearwater - never cared for this city. I never felt comfortable in it, and was even attacked on the beach once when I was a teenager (sorry not going to give more details, I don't talk about this). Also, I have nothing against the Scientologists, but they do create a weird vibe downtown, and I kind of judge a city by its downtown. It's a fact that they keep folks away even if unintentionally.

St. Petersburg is far and away the more fabulous place to live between the two. St. Pete has an AWESOME downtown - their waterfront park is the 3rd largest in the country, behind Chicago and Vancouver. And the beaches are beautiful too, much better than Clearwater's very congested beaches.

If me and hubby didn't already live in beautiful Sarasota, St. Pete would be the place we would be looking to live.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:41 AM

4,229 posts, read 5,692,103 times
Yeah, St. Pete is many times more livable than Clearwater. Clearwater's beach is pretty but absolutely sterile with nothing to do but sit and bake (unless you like all that touristy kitsch). The "downtown" is vacant except for the Sci-Ties, night life is non-existent, all political power is in the beach residents hands (money talks big time in Clearwater).

Nice mall, though.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:25 PM

So St Pete and South Tampa are the hot spots?

Old 09-06-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
So St Pete and South Tampa are the hot spots?
Pretty much...

Old 09-06-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Pretty much...
you would move to St Pete from Sarasota cause it's more lively but still beautiful?

Old 09-06-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
you would move to St Pete from Sarasota cause it's more lively but still beautiful?
Not exactly sure about your question, but I am saying that I am impressed enough with St. Petersburg that I would consider moving there, but have no plans to do so. That said, we are happy where we are and aren't moving frome here anytime soon. St. Petersburg has a beautiful lively downtown, which is what I love about it along with its waterfront; it is of course a much larger city than Sarasota.

But outside of that, honestly I have it really good where I do live, Sarasota actually has a whole lot more shopping options (especially grocery) which are important to me, and beautiful, free, easy to access beaches. This small city has all the amenities of a much larger city, and I already live only two blocks to the bay. So I am happy enough for an occasional jaunt over the Skyway to visit beautiful St. Petersburg, don't really need to live there.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:39 PM

so for a single guy who will eventually get a slip and a boat wold you recommend St. Petersburg over Sarasota. I'm 35. thanks a lot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or