U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 03:25 PM

15,130 posts, read 31,054,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus03 View Post
so for a single guy who will eventually get a slip and a boat wold you recommend St. Petersburg over Sarasota. I'm 35. thanks a lot
You could be happy in either place, it really depends do you want bigger city or smaller city. Both are beautiful and have a lot to offer. St. Pete overall has more young people, but then again it's larger. Both cities have a fair share of retirees but there are plenty in your age group also in both. Have you visited both cities?

Also remember if you choose south of the Skyway, there are areas in Bradenton or Anna Maria you could live, and then you are convenient to either St. Pete or Sarasota. Sometimes it takes spending a little time in a place to see how you feel about it. Sometimes one city will have a little more of what you want or what is important to you personally. It's easy enough to drive to night life and events when you want them if you find a good spot for daily living.

Either way, I don't think you could go wrong. St. Pete and Sarasota are my two favorite cities on the Gulf Coast of Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 03:33 PM

42 posts, read 221,024 times
thanks i really have to visit to check it all out. I would rent place for a year and learn the area and decide where i want to be. Currently dont know if id want to live in down town St Pete so i could walk to restaraunts etc or if I'd want to live in a place like trasure island by the water (just an example) or somewhere else. I know i would look into season ticks for thr rays I love baseball. I have a new Jeep that i am modifying too. Definitely want to get a boat too so dont know if living at a marina would be a good option. I'm rotting in Raleigh and am moving by end of year!

Old 09-06-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus03 View Post
thanks i really have to visit to check it all out. I would rent place for a year and learn the area and decide where i want to be. Currently dont know if id want to live in down town St Pete so i could walk to restaraunts etc or if I'd want to live in a place like trasure island by the water (just an example) or somewhere else. I know i would look into season ticks for thr rays I love baseball. I have a new Jeep that i am modifying too. Definitely want to get a boat too so dont know if living at a marina would be a good option. I'm rotting in Raleigh and am moving by end of year!
If you like baseball, keep in mind that Bradenton is a big baseball town, too. Spring training there for Pittsburgh Pirates, and their team the Marauders at the nice little renovated vintage McKechnie Field. And Bradenton is only about 30 minutes to downtown St. Pete and Tropicana Stadium.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:01 PM

2,602 posts, read 7,189,927 times
The Bay Area is a baseball fan's dream. In addition to our own major league team, we have the Pirates in Bradenton, as mentioned above, plus the Yankees in Tampa, Blue Jays in Dunedin, Phillies in Clearwater, and Reds in Winter Haven. I think I got them all, haha.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
The Bay Area is a baseball fan's dream. In addition to our own major league team, we have the Pirates in Bradenton, as mentioned above, plus the Yankees in Tampa, Blue Jays in Dunedin, Phillies in Clearwater, and Reds in Winter Haven. I think I got them all, haha.
And Orioles in Sarasota, Detroit Tigers in Lakeland!

Old 09-06-2010, 04:13 PM

sweet - im gonna need a garage for my jeep and place to put my doors and soft top too - heh heh - so looks like condo rental is out down town since no personal garage - i like walking to things if possible but not absolutley necessary but first year might be cool

Old 09-06-2010, 04:40 PM

i guess better shopping is in tampa and sarasota - i noticed that saks is in tampa by the airport and sarasota and neiman marcus is in tampa by airport too - my mom will ask me this

Old 09-06-2010, 05:16 PM

2,602 posts, read 7,189,927 times
Tampa has International Plaza, which is the Bay Area's upscale mall. It's located right by the airport, but I-275 allows for easy access from St. Pete. Sarasota has two malls, and I think Southgate is the more upscale one.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:21 PM

Would you recommend living in downtown St. Pete or by the beach and just drve in to town? Which beach do you recommend close to St. Pete?

I'm outta here! Woohoooo

Old 09-06-2010, 07:13 PM

How's the crime in St Pete? Can you recommend nice safe areas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or