U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 11:21 AM

1,372 posts, read 805,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
How is life in Clearwater, Florida?

I'm not that much into Sports, but sounds like Tampa has that midwestern/southern fascination in all things sports? True? Is SPORTS a popular topic of conversation for strangers much like it is in the Midwest and South, or do they often have other interests as well?

Is FISHING one of the big pasttimes? Or is it BEACH activities - swimming, socializing or a beach scene? Which one seems to be a higher priority for the people or Clearwater? For Tampa Bay?

How about being a working adult and living in Clearwater? One would end up having to drive through a lot of traffic all of the time? Clearwater seems a bit isolated in some ways from the rest of the city, for better or for worse, but perhaps a bit worse for the employment-minded.

What would be some defining characters of people attracted to Clearwater over Tampa? How about St.Petersburg? How is it different from the previous two?
It's been a few years since i lived in that area of Florida but I will give you my 2 cents:

Tampa is very much a sports town, the Buccs particularly are a favorite. The sports culture of watching sports, drinking beer, and wearing sports paraphernalia is pretty big in Tampa across most of the socioeconomic classes. People in Tampa like to get out and play sports as well as of course engage in water sports.

Clearwater is a quirky and unusual part of Florida. Scientology is huge there and Scientologists don't participate in modern society very much. There are many retired and semi-reitred, non-working older people in Clearwater, where Tampa skews younger, and many people in Tampa have office jobs. Clearwater has a good amount of 'hippies' and beach bums, people who don't have jobs but somehow have money to live odd lifestyles. There are more beach homes in Clearwater as it's actually on the beach (unlike Tampa).

Watersports, fishing, deep sea fishing, boating, etc. are all huge in Florida so it shouldn't be a surprise that people enjoy these things in both Tampa and Clearwater. Clearwater has a marine aquarium that's a great place to visit. Clearwater has a pretty good beach but there are many better beaches along the Gulf shore. Tampa does not have any beach to speak of but the beach is about an hour and a half drive from Tampa.

Clearwater is more isolated, and it is quite a drive from Tampa, especially if you were working in Tampa and living in Clearwater... Most people with professional jobs work in Tampa, unless they work from home, or own their own private practice of some sort that would enable them to work nearly anywhere. If you are looking for white collar jobs, look in Tampa first, although you might be lucky to find a few in Clearwater's very small downtown area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 11:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,788 times
How's the sailing instruction going? I am moving to Clearwater and would like to learn to sail! 503-314-9184

Old 03-12-2016, 06:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,410 times
I've lived in Palm Harbor since 1996, and prior to that I Lived in Tampa and St. Pete. Palm Harbor is in Pinellas County which is the most densely populated county in Florida. Too many people live here which means too many cars on the road. So you have to go out early in the morning to shop, or late in the evening. Lots of auto accidents around so be careful of bad drivers. My husband wants to move but I have a job here and cant retire for 10 more years. Palm Harbor has some good restaurants and I like that it's close to Tarpon Springs sponge docks and near the beautiful beaches of Clearwater. Auto insurance is ridiculously high. But I love the winters here! Summers are long, hot and humid, and the ideal situation would be to live up north in the summers and here in the winters. Lots of water sports here, and we like kayaking and paddleboarding. Boating is great fun too! Housing costs are getting expensive again. And jobs here don't pay well. Unless you work in downtown Tampa.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:38 PM

51 posts, read 52,396 times
I lived in Clearwater from 2012 to 2014, i liked it, got used to it,its very pretty nice beaches, I had no trouble getting work, but not what i normally do which is executive secretary or hospital work, i ended up working in call centers alot but i ALWAYS found something.

I love going into Tampa on the weekends to Trader Joes and Whole Foods but now they built a Whole Foods in the Countryside Mall, so no need to travel into Tampa, but its fun going down there and a beautiful ride. Overall i like the Tampa Bay area, i am now in Tenn and miss it alot, I own a place there and will be returning soon.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:37 AM

14 posts, read 15,573 times
Clearwater Beach is gorgeous but it is very expensive and mostly for snow-birds and tourists with large hotels, etc. Your best bet would be to live somewhere you can drive to the beach in 30 minutes or less. Go EARLY because the traffic can be a drag on weekends and peak seasons. Countryside area is nice and good schools/reasonable priced homes. Dunedin is nice with Honeymoon beach and Caladesi Island that you take a ferry to. Dunedin schools are not that great if that is important. There are tons of private and charter schools as an alternative. If you do not have kids then Dunedin would be great and the beach is right over the bridge, or somewhere near downtown Clearwater. Don't worry about Scientology, we have never been bothered they keep to themselves. A lot depends on what specifics you are looking for. We are family-oriented and have a 6 year old so we bought a house in Safety Harbor. It has an adorable downtown area and everything is within a reasonable drive. Jobs were not an issue for us but it would be very important and no doubt a top priority so I cannot give an opinion on that other than there are lots of clinics and hospitals if you are medical personnel. Many people commute to Tampa.

Old 09-12-2016, 01:34 PM

2 posts, read 1,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus03 View Post
i was planning on staying away from clearwater because its where scientology has its headquarters where the billion year contract employees live - called the "sea org". I've read and seen a lot of crazy stuff on the news. Not sure how it really is for people who live there though. It was a nice place when I was a kid and my prents had a condo but they sold it many years ago.

[url=http://www.xenu.net/archive/so/]Operation Clambake presents: A Paramilitary Cult[/url]

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Org]Sea Org - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]
awesome.," were planning to get in clearwater FL since the new storm hit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or