Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 08:59 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times

Advertisements

How is life in Clearwater, Florida?

I'm not that much into Sports, but sounds like Tampa has that midwestern/southern fascination in all things sports? True? Is SPORTS a popular topic of conversation for strangers much like it is in the Midwest and South, or do they often have other interests as well?

Is FISHING one of the big pasttimes? Or is it BEACH activities - swimming, socializing or a beach scene? Which one seems to be a higher priority for the people or Clearwater? For Tampa Bay?

How about being a working adult and living in Clearwater? One would end up having to drive through a lot of traffic all of the time? Clearwater seems a bit isolated in some ways from the rest of the city, for better or for worse, but perhaps a bit worse for the employment-minded.

What would be some defining characters of people attracted to Clearwater over Tampa? How about St.Petersburg? How is it different from the previous two?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 07:57 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
I would have to say forget about clearwater . the rents are much too high and unemployment is high they are expecting it to go higher next year to the tune of 8 % and we got out while we could . we now live in ky and we are much much happier here. Not alot of snooty ppl at all and for the most part everyone is nice . some ppl think florida is the bomb , I disagree . I mean if you think 1200.00 a month is okay to pay for rent then by all means move there . to me 1200.00 is a house payment not rent . I used to pay 913 for a 700 sq ft apt and to me that was high . I now have a house in ky for 700.00 a month and it is 3 bdr 2 ba . i mean florida has just outpriced itself by many ppls standards . Including mine.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:24 PM

611 posts, read 1,455,580 times
So True. I wouldnt suggest Clearwater for a variety of reasons. I live there now and am quietly planning my escape! The rent is absurd, like the previous poster said. Its such a transiet town as well!

Old 01-04-2009, 11:49 PM

22 posts, read 102,135 times
I'm in New Jersey now and also looking into Clearwater. A lot of people I talk say they love it down there. During my apartment search, I found mynewplace.com. There's a bunch starting at $650 a month. A majority of them are in the $800 range.

Does anyone else have any info on life in Clearwater?

Old 01-05-2009, 11:34 AM

320 posts, read 1,129,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerRyan View Post
I'm in New Jersey now and also looking into Clearwater. A lot of people I talk say they love it down there. During my apartment search, I found mynewplace.com. There's a bunch starting at $650 a month. A majority of them are in the $800 range.

Does anyone else have any info on life in Clearwater?
I'm in NJ too and my g/f and I have been thinking about doing down there too. Maybe Dunedin or Palm Harbor area.

Rent.com has a few 1 BR apts that are just under $700/month that look nice.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:51 PM

10 posts, read 104,899 times
Please don't be discouraged by those that paint such a gloomy picture. I lived in Clearwater in 04/05 and kick myself daily that I bit on a job that brought me back to TN. We paid $1250 per month for a 3 bdr townhouse/1-car garage/community pool/next to a golf course/streets made from pavers. Very nice. But that's what I was looking for, something to ease the pain of moving my wife and kids 700 miles away from "home". We could have lived somewhere else, but that's what we chose. We did without other things to live there, but it was worth it. As far it being a transient town, I'll agree to a point. But for us, that made us feel more welcome knowing we weren't sticking out like a sore thumb. Considering the beaches and fishing, we went to the Clearwater beach nearly every week, it was a very festive atmosphere. We also saw lots of folks fishing off of the causeways with each pass across them.

Yes it does cost more to live there than say the mid-south, but it's a trade-off. Sitting here looking at what feels like the 100th day in a row of a gray sky, chilly and a misting rain (heaven forbid it would get cold enough to actually snow), I'll have to say that if given the chance, I'd pay whatever was in my ability to be back there.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:10 PM

1 posts, read 50,940 times
I am moving to clearwater in 4 weeks and amidst all the pros and cons , I have to make my own mind up, been to clearwater before and loved it, difference for me is Im moving my wife and kids half way across the world for me to take my dream job. I am from England so sunshine is, as you would probably guess as rare as rocking horse ****. Just have the dilema over choosing the right high schools and elementary schools for my boys. Happy to spend $1500 a month for a place by the beach or waterfront until I get a mortgage. Then i will defo buy ( buyers market right now and I am never going back to the UK.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:41 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,405,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAy the BRIT View Post
I am moving to clearwater in 4 weeks and amidst all the pros and cons , I have to make my own mind up, been to clearwater before and loved it, difference for me is Im moving my wife and kids half way across the world for me to take my dream job. I am from England so sunshine is, as you would probably guess as rare as rocking horse ****. Just have the dilema over choosing the right high schools and elementary schools for my boys. Happy to spend $1500 a month for a place by the beach or waterfront until I get a mortgage. Then i will defo buy ( buyers market right now and I am never going back to the UK.
Congratulations. You waded through a lot to get to a decision--but there is no substitute for being there.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:58 PM

929 posts, read 2,722,039 times
Clearwater is a fairly spread out city. Pinellas County's cities have grow together. Urban sprawl. I think North East Clwr is still nice, the Countryside area. Dunedin has nice areas also. Avoid anything south of Dunedin, West Clearwater. The Greenwood area near Downtown is very bad, high crime rate.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:58 AM

42 posts, read 241,642 times
i was planning on staying away from clearwater because its where scientology has its headquarters where the billion year contract employees live - called the "sea org". I've read and seen a lot of crazy stuff on the news. Not sure how it really is for people who live there though. It was a nice place when I was a kid and my prents had a condo but they sold it many years ago.

Operation Clambake presents: A Paramilitary Cult

Sea Org - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay