U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 06:22 PM

91 posts, read 248,229 times

Advertisements

Hey All -

As part of my therapy to survive the winter months in MA - I always scan real estate in FL. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy when the temps outside are bone chilling.

Anyhoo - I'm searching condos on ziprealty.com and I put in my criteria:

3bed/2bath - up to $120k built between 2000 and 2008 and all these condos in Riverview FL come up for under $80k.

Can this be too good to be true? Is this a tough crime area? These condos are very beautiful - granted, they abutt 75, but even for the short money, it would be worth it.

The streets in question are Amberdale Court, Skydale Way, Newdale Way - etc.

Someone tell me I'm dreaming.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 06:47 PM

3,923 posts, read 10,291,180 times
Sounds like Bloomingdale Villages (Pulte) at US301 and I-75. If yes, there are quite a few short sales, bank-owned properties and vacancies. Also, I think the monthly fees are pretty high.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:50 AM

13,779 posts, read 18,685,586 times
Hi , I used to live in riverview florida and believe me when I say you have to travel for work living there unless of course you would work in ruskin or riverview area or even god forsaken wimauma . and then there is sun city center where all the seniors live and over running the place and the traffice is horendous in the mornings off of 75 always a traffic accident . No cant reccomend florida at all cause we just moved from florida to kentucky and we are much happier and we could not afford the 913.00 a mo rent that we were paying for a 700 sq ft apt . much happier and the ppl are nicer here .

Old 12-20-2008, 11:19 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,107,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinsMom View Post
Hey All -

As part of my therapy to survive the winter months in MA - I always scan real estate in FL. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy when the temps outside are bone chilling.

Anyhoo - I'm searching condos on ziprealty.com and I put in my criteria:

3bed/2bath - up to $120k built between 2000 and 2008 and all these condos in Riverview FL come up for under $80k.

Can this be too good to be true? Is this a tough crime area? These condos are very beautiful - granted, they abutt 75, but even for the short money, it would be worth it.

The streets in question are Amberdale Court, Skydale Way, Newdale Way - etc.

Someone tell me I'm dreaming.

Thanks!

I use ZIP also. Looking for a place in the Riverview area, too. Something smells fishy about these bargains. I'm thinking they're condo conversions and the owners bought them for investments. I wouldn't be surprised if the the HOA are outrageous, that there may be some sort of lien, or some other financial difficulty for the owners.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:20 PM

15 posts, read 64,832 times
That particular complex was built a condo, I do beleive only the 1st story is cinder block, the second floor is typical wood construction. There are some condos where both stories are cinder block. Now, those condo were selling pretty hot during the artificial price increases, so people did buy them. Across the street used to be an apartment complex, then converted to condo, then when things went belly up, went back to apartments. In general prices in the area, for people that have a pretty good chance to sell, are close to 2000/01 prices.
The main issue in the are would be what was stated earlier. Also take note the condo is right before I-75 overpass, and afterwards there will be Oak Creek on one side and another big older area accross it. After the light, there is Progress Village.

The best bargain will be on bank owned, but investigation of liens and any other hidden cost must be taken into consideration.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:30 AM

2,377 posts, read 4,846,888 times
I also just found these condos on the internet......The monthly fee is $344.. says it includes water, insurance, trash removal, and outside mtc. I have been Emailing a broker on a foreclosure for $59,000 on a 3bed 3 bath...I just asked the same question... it just sounds too good to be true...I Google Earthed it and it is quite close to the highway and the "nature area" looks a little swampy to me!!! Anyone with more info, please let me know...

Old 01-06-2009, 11:45 AM

10 posts, read 97,730 times
Quote:
Hi , I used to live in riverview florida and believe me when I say you have to travel for work living there unless of course you would work in ruskin or riverview area or even god forsaken wimauma . and then there is sun city center where all the seniors live and over running the place and the traffice is horendous in the mornings off of 75 always a traffic accident . No cant reccomend florida at all cause we just moved from florida to kentucky and we are much happier and we could not afford the 913.00 a mo rent that we were paying for a 700 sq ft apt . much happier and the ppl are nicer here .
Ignore this person's post. I believe this is the 75th place in FL they claimed to have lived and hated. Just an FYI.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:53 PM

2,377 posts, read 4,846,888 times
Think I found the "Catch 22"
Look at this ad and then read the disclaimer under the description...where it tells about the price...
Village of Bloomingdale - Condo for Sale in Riverview, FL - HotPads.com (http://hotpads.com/search/listing/5504399_VLSHomes#lat=27.985912827908304&lon=-82.36862182617188&zoom=19&detailsOpen=true&listing Types=sale,newHome&includeVaguePricing=false&prici ngFrequency=once&loan=30,0.059,0 - broken link)

Old 01-06-2009, 05:00 PM

3,923 posts, read 10,291,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudeyrose View Post
Think I found the "Catch 22"
Look at this ad and then read the disclaimer under the description...where it tells about the price...
Village of Bloomingdale - Condo for Sale in Riverview, FL - HotPads.com (http://hotpads.com/search/listing/5504399_VLSHomes#lat=27.985912827908304&lon=-82.36862182617188&zoom=19&detailsOpen=true&listing Types=sale,newHome&includeVaguePricing=false&prici ngFrequency=once&loan=30,0.059,0 - broken link)
Yet, another short sale. You know, one thing that concerns me about condo fees is with all the vacancies. What insurance does a buyer/owner have that the condo fees are not raised to to cover the shortfall from all the vacant units? Please check into the number of occupied units versus vacancies before jumping into what looks good on the surface.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:02 AM

81 posts, read 205,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinsMom View Post
I live in Riverview currently and can tell you it is not a high crime area, or rundown part of Riverview. It is close to major shopping and is not a bad commute(10-15mins) to Tampa overall.

My understanding of those condos is that they were bought up by investors/speculators during the boom, and thus they are primarily vacant and looking for rentals, short sales, etc.

It likely depends on what you would use it for, but if you were thinking of a vacation condo near Tampa, it would seem to be a good fit. Might not be the ideal place if schools and family neighborhood atmosphere is what you're looking for though.

Just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or