U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 04:07 AM

3,250 posts, read 3,135,698 times

Advertisements

My Uncle visited Clearwater about 20 years ago and absolutely loved it.
He's about to retire and he was thinking about buying a second home in Clearwater, the thing is people have told him that the church of Scientology have a lot of influence in the Clearwater area.
Is this true or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 07:58 AM

108 posts, read 273,215 times
Yes it's true, their headquarters are located in downtown Clearwater and they own a lot of the buildings. They don't really cause any trouble so you could probably just ignore them. There are ongoing efforts to build up the downtown area of Clearwater so there is more stuff happening.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:21 AM

Thanks LoganFL, my uncle lives near to a town called East Grinstead which has the Scientology world HQ at Saint Hill.
I think he will probably buy a house somewhere else in the state.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:27 PM

235 posts, read 1,348,270 times
There main office(compound) is the old Ft Harrison Hotel. There used to be some great old blues jazz band concerts there, but that was back in the day. Now it seems that the church of Scientology owns most everything within 4 blocks.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:19 PM

594 posts, read 1,240,098 times
Yes! The Scientologist covertly influence everything in Clearwater....even the police! I am being serious! Tell your uncle to try Tarpon Springs, or Dunedin, skip over Largo.

Old 01-01-2009, 02:04 AM

Thanks duttygal86, I passed your info on to my uncle, he says thank's very much.
He will be looking at the areas you suggested, I know Scientology has a bad reputation but I didn't know that they influenced the clearwater police dept.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:57 AM

29 posts, read 58,715 times
I was kind of hoping to see a quick general outline of what the general fundamental beliefs are in the Church of Scientology and why it is that people view them as being a threat to the area. Other than having more money than others and being able to invest in places that are a primary function of the Clearwater area I have not really detected any hostile intentions that they would have towards others that are not affiliated with them. Maybe I'm missing something.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:45 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,851,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantric View Post
I was kind of hoping to see a quick general outline of what the general fundamental beliefs are in the Church of Scientology and why it is that people view them as being a threat to the area. Other than having more money than others and being able to invest in places that are a primary function of the Clearwater area I have not really detected any hostile intentions that they would have towards others that are not affiliated with them. Maybe I'm missing something.
You can ask in the religion forum.. I know they sell their book on their religion at Flea Markets.

I don't think they have any malcontent towards anyone, but keep to themselves and are shrouded in mystery because of things that happened in the past.. IMHO

I remember walking downtown in Clearwater years ago and they would walk down the street in uniforms and always stared ahead. I know several movie stars who are known CS have been seen in Clearwater.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:14 AM

29 posts, read 58,715 times
Dont they still walk around in Clearwater in those Black uniforms staring blankly ahead? I've even tried to engage a few of the younger female species by an occasional wink and a smile in my single days. Suprisingly enough, (and I know this news comes as a shock to everyone), they weren't too interested. That leads to come up with one of two conclusions the first being that I wasn't part of their agenda in their elite group which made me an underqualified individual. Or they just found me to be repulsive in nature. I prefer to believe it was the latter of the two but you never know.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:21 AM

6,985 posts, read 15,461,616 times
I was in clearwater not even a week ago. Looks like a lot of new buildings for shops on dewey street (I think that is the name of the street). But a lot of them were empty. As you go further into the city you see the Scientologist building and their special buses to take them around town. That place looks like the sort of place you go to prepare to die. Not much going on, seems like a very sleepy town. I plan to go back next summer to do some saltwater fishing. Which to me seemed like the most exciting thing to do there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay