U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2009, 01:15 PM

13 posts, read 64,264 times

Advertisements

Hi all, thanks for all the great info in the forum, despite some of the negativity here, which you'll find any any forum about places to live, I've found lots of great info on the tampa area.

Some background...

I've applied for, and been accepted to interview at sunstar, based in largo. I'll be visiting this month for an interview, and plan to stay thurs, fri, sat, sun, and part of monday to scout out places to live, and just get a feel for the area in general. I'll have a rental car and a gps to find my way around.

I plan to visit downtown st pete, possibly the old north east neighbor hood, hyde party, ybor city, st pete beach, treasure island, and possibly clearwater as potential places to live. If you can suggested other places to visit, or smaller WALKABLE subdivisions or specific streets or blocks of streets where a young, active, liberal couple might be interested in living.

Additionally, we'd like to get a taste of local restuarants and other things to do that make the tampa area great. We would especially like to hear about local vegitarian friendly resturants, locally owned record shops, rockabilly / punk bars, and off beat tourist attractions.

Additionally additionally, i'd as a ridiculously amateur photographer, i'd love to hear about great photo ops around as well.

if your feeling particularly friendly, intersections, street addresses or GPS coordinates would be especially helpful.

Thanks so much

xfiend
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 01:57 PM

10 posts, read 97,940 times
MAKE SURE you visit Pier 60 at Clearwater Beach!

Old 01-06-2009, 02:30 PM

159 posts, read 409,401 times
Bonefish Grille is a great seafood restaurant and has several locations, one in St. Pete. Also, a bit pricey but good food, Salt Rock Grill on the beach in Indian Rocks Beach. Drive over the Skyway Bridge in St. Pete, very beautiful.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:43 PM

13,495 posts, read 34,082,151 times
You can check out the Hurricane at St. Pete Beach. I'm also a vegetarian and discovered they have a very good veggie sandwich there.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:16 PM

3,926 posts, read 10,319,610 times
One of the best photo ops is at sunset over the Gulf of Mexico.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:41 PM

13 posts, read 64,264 times
@ keith

thanks, looks really cool, whats the best time to get there to catch the sunset?

@ georgia

bonefish is a chain, they're up here in cincinnati... salt rock grill i added to the list though

@ jammie

Hurricane beach sounds just like what we're looking for, thanks so much

@ karen

true enough, its hard to take a bad picture when the scenery is so beautiful

Old 01-06-2009, 06:02 PM

1,824 posts, read 7,630,423 times
Here are some great "only in Tampa" photo ops:
Tampa Theater -downtown Tampa on Franklin Street
University of Tampa minarets and Plant Park - downtown Tampa
Florida Aquarium Stingray out front - downtown Tampa-Channelside
Ybor City--5th Avenue and 16th street - the Aloe Man;
Bayshore Blvd - Ballast Point Park at Sunrise
St. Pete Pier - downtown St Pete
Sulpher Springs Tower and Park - near Sligh Ave and Florida Ave Tampa
Sacred Heart Church - downtown Tampa

Record Shops - Vinyl Fever on Henderson Blvd in South Tampa; DJ Phat Shack on 7th Ave on Ybor City

Local Eats: Seafood-Crabshack on Gandy Blvd; Italian - Laughing Cat on 8th and 15th in Ybor City; Mediterranean - Byblos on MacDill and Bay to Bay in South Tampa; Vegan - Grass Roots on Florida Ave in Tampa; Ethiopian(Vegan also) - Queen of SHeba on Henderson near Swann Ave in South Tampa; Sandwhich's and Salads - Wrights Gourmet Deli on Dale Mabry in South Tampa; Pizza - Cappys on Bay to Bay in South Tampa; Cuban - travel along Columbus east of Himes Ave to Arcos Iris or La Teresita; Have a Burrito as big as your head at Taqueria Cantina on Howard Avenue in Hyde Park

See a rock/blues/funky band at Skippers Smokehouse in North Tampa; Crowbar, Orpheum, New World Brewery in Ybor City; Jannus Landing, Emerald in downtown St Pete.

See some funky stuff at The Castle in Ybor City(9th Avenue).

Canoe/Kayak down the Hillsborough River(Canoe Escape); or Fort DeSoto Park rent Kayaks, bikes, etc..do the nature thing, beautiful beaches and historic park.

Drive over the Skyway Bridge from St Pete and head north on 41 to Apollo Beach to see the Manatees at Tampa Electric.

Check out Mahuffers on Indian Shores Beach...very different.

I hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay